Suspension for heavier people

I have a Hennessy and love it. But I am looking to go to a lighter set up. I am 6'4" and 275lbs. I would like to go with a gathered end hammock with whoppi slings. Are Amsteel whoppi sling able to support me? What length of hammock and material weight?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    7/64 Amsteel whoopies would be just fine for you. We have done tests on our and recommend staying below 600 pounds.

Hammock wise at your weight a double layer 1.1 would hold you but you would feel a little stretch. 1.7/1.9 ounce fabric would probably feel better in a single or double layer.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Images
    Go with 1/8" Amsteel with a 2,300-lb min breaking strength. You can save a few grams by going to 7/64" Amsteel with a 1,400-lb min breaking strength; but for my money and peace of mind saving a few grams does not trump the extra 900-lb safety margin provided by the 1/8" Amsteel.

A general rule of thumb is a 5:1 Safety Ratio, your weight times five (5) should be the minimum safety margin. I think that most would agree with these general statements.

So, 275 x 5 = 1,375-lbs minimum breaking strength. Factor in buries, larks heads, shackles, etc... and that extra 900-lbs overkill begins to shrink rapidly.

Get an 11-foot hammock as wide as you can stand.

My fabric of choice is Polyester @ 2.6 ounces per square yard: 24 ounces for my hammock, you will hear of lots of lighter option as others post up. I will say a negative is that Polyester will tear far more easily that other slightly stretchier material.

Kevlar Tree Straps
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 07-30-2015 at 19:01.

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try the new HyperDXL 1.6- 72 inch wide. light and will hold you just fine. Im 5'11 275lbs

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I would echo going with the 1/8 amsteel. The added assurance is worth the minimal weight gain. Also with your height, I think you would be the most comfortable in an 11 ft hammock that is at least 72in wide.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jburke8305 View Post
    I have a Hennessy and love it. But I am looking to go to a lighter set up. I am 6'4" and 275lbs. I would like to go with a gathered end hammock with whoppi slings. Are Amsteel whoppi sling able to support me? What length of hammock and material weight?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I'm pretty heavy and use 1/8th amsteel whoopies, not only are they not really that much heavier but give me great piece of mind, i use the same 1/8th cl's on my hammock as well.
    If your not into making them yourself Dutch now offers 1/8th cl's on his website and if you ask him nice he will also make you a set of whoopies using the 1/8th amsteel
    I sleep better now..
    Also , if your planning on getting one of those 72 inch wide Hyper D hammocks that Dream hammocks is now offering Papa Smurf will make your whoopies for you using 1/8th amsteel if you send him the piece of cord for them.

We have the greatest cottage venders here compared to other industies
    Last edited by Zilla; 08-02-2015 at 10:25.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    I'm 6'2" and 260lbs. My 60lb dog sleeps in the hammock with me. Been using the same set of 7/64 AmSteel whoopies and adjustable SRL for six years now. Never an issue.

While I have had many a comfortable night's sleep in 10' x 5' hammocks, am really loving the 11' and 11-1/2' x 6' hammocks I have now. More roomy and comfortable is always nice, but it is especially nice with my dog in there.

FWIW, HYOH.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Polyester Taffeta Tablecloth
    Tarp
    HH Large Hex
    Insulation
    Ember 2/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/Strap
    Images
    I just started hanging. I weigh 270# and I'm using regular amsteel continuous loops with cinch buckles. I've only laid in the hammock a couple of days, but no problems. All of my gear is home made except the amsteel loops.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    As others have said go with 1/8 amsteel and never think about again. I am 285# and have used 7/64 for years. I recently switched to homemade 1/8" continuous loops and whoopies not because I had ever had a problem but because I was getting a new hammock made and wanted new suspension. My new go to hammock is an 11' Hyper DXL 72" wide, double layer hammock made for me by Bearded Hanger. Truly the most comfortable setup I have ever had.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am 6ft 2 and 275+ lbs and have used 7/64 whoopies ( several different sets from different vendors ) with no problems. I mostly use 1" polyester straps for suspension as when combined with the cinch buckle, I find them easier to use.

ditto on what pgibson said about going with a DL. The only SL hammocks I use ( and then only for day hikes ) are from ENO and Grand Trunk ect. That DL also gives me the option of using a pad if needed although I have not used a pad in 4+ years.

While I find my BB is very comfortable, I have a 64" wide Hammeck that is at least as comfortable A 60" wide is too narrow for most of us taller folks to get comfortable in.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts