Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I like that a lot. Very well done. You have given my thoughts of starting a DIY tarp a little more ammunition. Being that cost was indeed a factor (lord knows i get that), can you share the materials and the total cost? Also, If you are like me you are already planning a MARKII. What changes would you make. It certainly sounds like waterproofiness isn't an issue.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    [...]can you share the materials and the total cost? [...] What changes would you make.[...]
    Glad to hear you like my SHtarp (Sorensen Hammock Tarp) design. I too am a penny pincher getting into what can be an expensive hobby. I needed a decent tarp and this is the best I could come up with and it works great for me.
    • Silnylon 4yds from RBTR ~$25 + shipping
    • 4 spools of grosgrain ribbon ~$1.50 each at Walmart (only really need enough for tie-outs, edges not required, but I think it adds strength and a nice finished look)
    • Polyester or other synthetic material thread ~$1 (i needed 2 regular spools because I got a nasty snag in the bobbin and to cut it out and refill it)
    • Small tube of silicone caulk to seal the seams on the sides $2

Total I told my wife $35, actual was probably around $45. Trading the GG edges for just a rolled hem would keep the cost from creeping up that high. Like any project its all the little things that add up unless you are super careful and know exactly what you are doing.

Here's what I would do differently:
    • Take a little more time to sew it carefully, I made lots of minor mostly cosmetic mistakes trying to make it up as I went.
    • An extra 6" in overall length would be handy and give more fudge room when setting it up, but not worth buying another whole yd of fabric. Make sure the tarp length for this style is at least the length of your hammock lain flat, otherwise it wont fit under it when hung

For a mark II tarp for this design I don't think I'd make another like this one. It is just right for light weight tarp. Sometime I want to make a 12' x 10' rectangular tarp but I think I'll use this same system for doors.

If you want any close up pics or more detailed descriptions of the mfg process let me know. Good luck if you go this way.

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Real nice design and realization! I did not consider sewing myself a winter-style-tarp for reasons of weight, but always liked the idea of the extra coverage for when the rain hits hard with wind. Seems you might have found a solution which combines the best of both worlds. Thumbs up

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I like the design. As far as a diagonal lay, you may be able to play with your line placement when hanging your tarp. Something like this:
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I like the design. As far as a diagonal lay, you may be able to play with your line placement when hanging your tarp. Something like this:
    Food for thought and good advise for anyone using a lean tarp.

I've done that to some extent by adjusting my hammock suspension to center my body under the tarp when I'm in. My problem with setting my self up to only hang one way is I like to change positions often during the night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I'm getting more questions about my tarp. Here's a summary response to the most common questions I'm asked.

Weight?
    • 4yds of 1.1 silnylon with almost no scrap [+ 2 spools of grosgrain ribbon (optional)]. I'll leave the math to you.

Price?
    • $35-$45

Coverage?
    • I adjusted the sag in my hammock and I am able to lay on a diagonal and still easily fit under the tarp. As far as lateral coverage, When I've hung in this tarp it is usually pitched fairly low so that it provides complete horizontal protection. I always forget to get someone to take pictures of me in it, but my bottom is always even with or higher than the lowest part of the tarp. Also I can always play with how high I hang it. If there is rain with no wind it can be pitched higher. If its windy simply pitch it lower. I've done it both ways and have always stayed dry and my underside has stayed clean and dry as well.

Size?
    • When pitched the ends of my hammock have about 4 inches between them and the closed doors. I put several small snaps on each door so that it can be snapped around the hammock suspension leaving only a small hole. My conclusion is that as long as the un-sagged or total hammock length is less than or equal to the tarp length, it will fit with the appropriate sag. (my hammock is 114" and finished tarp 116") A little more length would make it a little easier to pitch, but wouldn't significantly improve coverage.

This tarp was by design to be small, lightweight, and cheaper while still providing acceptable coverage. It works great for me.
    Last edited by jabraso; 10-02-2015 at 16:32.

Hammock
    diy multicam+5 others
    Tarp
    warbonnet edge
    Insulation
    downny
    Suspension
    stuff and things
    I like it...... I like it alot

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Nice tarp! Thanks for the post.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    What a great design!

• + New Posts