Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY

Winter bridge + peapod hybrid

Before I invest my most valuable asset (time) on this concept, I would like to read some feedback.

I am trying to cut down on weight and was thinking of making another bridge.

Instead of making a UQ & top quilt plus using my current bridge with two layers of 1.1 oz ripstop, I was thinking of one 1.9oz ripstop sewing baffles on the bottom, adding down, and 1.1oz ripstop. Then instead of no-see-um on top, do a 1.1oz/down "sock" on top.

Does 900 down weight less than synthetic? Honestly I have not educated myself and being lazy just asking.

I will reuse my carbon fiber poles, and I make use cuben fiber as I will be at their facility at the end of the month.

I am 220lbs

Images
    Are you asking if 900 fp down will be warmer than an equally warm amount of synthetic insulation, then yes. Probably a good bit lighter and more compressible. Synthetic insulation has it's advantages, but a relative lack of weight and bulk are not among them.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    hey jmudler,
    1. I believe you'll get more insulation per unit ounce from down than from synthetic.
    2. TeeDee has a design on an UQ for a bridge you ought to look at. Places down only where needed. Gonna ask you to search yourself man, those are clues
    3. I'm not in favor of sewing baffles directly onto the hammock. JustJeff did that (see his Backtothewoods site) but it seems to me to be begging for trouble.
    4. But if you're willing to spend the $$ and you'll be picking up party favors at the Cuben place, you can minimize the weight cost of the UQ using Cuben. "Say what?" I heard from the peanut gallery. I've used 0.3 oz/sq-yd Cuben to make the hammock-side of a down UQ. Could do that with the top as well, so long as you include a breathable strip at one or both ends. I did experiments and a 3 inch strip of momentum-90 did all that was needed for compression and re-inflation of the baffles. Just a thought....
    5. Do you mean a "sock" (full enclosure) or just a top cover? You can make a very light Cuben weather cover for the bottom---I've done this---and a breathable 1.1 oz nylon cover for the top.

just my $0.05 and worth every nickel
    Grizz

Hammock
    diy bridge
    Tarp
    DIY
    . TeeDee has a design on an UQ for a bridge you ought to look at. Places down only where needed. Gonna ask you to search yourself man, those are clues

5. Do you mean a "sock" (full enclosure) or just a top cover? You can make a very light Cuben weather cover for the bottom---I've done this---and a breathable 1.1 oz nylon cover for the top.
    TeeDee's design is what prompted my brain As normal, great thought and execution. I really benefited from his drawing.

I was thinking of a full enclosure with a small vent to help with condensation. I cant sleep with anything over head like a mummy bag or even a blanket. So I was thinking replacing the bug net -with ripstop with some type of insulation factor (down/syn).

• + New Posts