DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps

Lightweight hammock - what fabric?

Well, I just finished a couple of sewing projects and have cleared the decks for my second DIY hammock.

My first DIY hammock is a 2 layer hammock that I put together maybe 2, maybe 3 years ago. It was going to be a quick and dirty way to find out if hammock camping was for me with an expenditure of about $25 for fabric. Then I was going to shell out for a commercial hammock. Well that never happened and I have done countless trips including maybe 3 or 4 week long backpacks with that one "proof of concept" hammock, A simple gathered end 2 layer hammock. I have lost interest in the commercial hammock idea.

But I want a second one (or more) for a variety of reasons. One is to have a second one to lure partners into trying. The other (more pertinent to the current post) is that I want to try to make the lightest possible single layer hammock. I am 160 pounds and 6'1''. I have several 4 yard pieces of 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop "laying around" that I could use. And some of the 1.2 polyD is in the mail heading my way right now. But I am reading that folks think that a single layer hammock with these light of fabrics is a bad idea. Is it??

Which should be the stronger fabric? The polyD 1.2 (from Dutch), or ripstop nylon 1.1 ? Am I crazy to try making a single layer hammock from fabrics this light?

What might be crazy is to take a hammock like this on a week backpack. Well it would be crazy on a maiden voyage, maybe once it has proven itself on some shorter trips (where I could carry my faithful 2 layer hammock as a backup). The name of the game is to see how much weight we can save and not have something unreliable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't do 1.0 or 1.1 oz. single layer hammocks - been there done that. Dream Hammock won't even sell 1.1 oz. single-layer hammocks anymore.

However, I've had decent luck with the Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammocks.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucson Tom View Post
    Well, I just finished a couple of sewing projects and have cleared the decks for my second DIY hammock.

My first DIY hammock is a 2 layer hammock that I put together maybe 2, maybe 3 years ago. It was going to be a quick and dirty way to find out if hammock camping was for me with an expenditure of about $25 for fabric. Then I was going to shell out for a commercial hammock. Well that never happened and I have done countless trips including maybe 3 or 4 week long backpacks with that one "proof of concept" hammock, A simple gathered end 2 layer hammock. I have lost interest in the commercial hammock idea.

But I want a second one (or more) for a variety of reasons. One is to have a second one to lure partners into trying. The other (more pertinent to the current post) is that I want to try to make the lightest possible single layer hammock. I am 160 pounds and 6'1''. I have several 4 yard pieces of 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop "laying around" that I could use. And some of the 1.2 polyD is in the mail heading my way right now. But I am reading that folks think that a single layer hammock with these light of fabrics is a bad idea. Is it??
    Well the answer to that is subjective. I've noticed in general on HF a tendency toward large, heavy hammocks and the notion of ultralight hammocking is poo-hooed as something beneath the dignity of real hammockers. There are also the ones that will warn you with statistics and links that dynaglide is too dangerous, 1.1 will fail and kill you, and other tactics to scare you away from trying ultralight hammocking. I find it like going to a forum and asking about what motorcycle would be good for riding and everyone telling you that motorcycles are dangerous and uncomfortable and you really will like a Cadilac better. I ride motorcycles, hang off dynaglide, and have used hammocks as low as 1.0 and have not died yet, nor am I uncomfortable. But I'm also prone to test things to failure and have made a hammock out of 0.9 argon to try. I figure the net nannies will tell me again how it will kill me

And, I will admit motorcycles are not for everyone, nor is ultralight hammocking...

I have made several hammocks I love out of 1.1, but not all 1.1 is created the same. If you already have some 1.1 to play with, then by all means you should try it. If you want to experiment with ordering some 1.1, I've found the Quest outfitters Kelly Green 1.1 to be a good durable and comfortable hammock material http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoa...s.htm#Uncoated Fabrics

But I have had some 1.1 that sucks. So it could be hit miss.

Which should be the stronger fabric? The polyD 1.2 (from Dutch), or ripstop nylon 1.1 ? Am I crazy to try making a single layer hammock from fabrics this light?
    No, just curious. I'm 180 pounds and only 5'8". So weight wise I am over your requirements and find 1.1 and even 1.0 fine (provided you use the right stuff) but I also make my hammocks 4'x9' so your 6'1" frame has my by 5", you may want to make a larger hammock. The good thing is you can play with length by wipping the body at different points and play with it before you make a decision and trimm off the excess.
    What might be crazy is to take a hammock like this on a week backpack. Well it would be crazy on a maiden voyage, maybe once it has proven itself on some shorter trips (where I could carry my faithful 2 layer hammock as a backup). The name of the game is to see how much weight we can save and not have something unreliable.
    There are two schools of thought on this and neither is wrong. School A says COMMIT! Take that one hammock and no other so if you have an issue you must figure it out while out there. I find field engineered fixes often teach you something. Of course I have spent two nights sleeping on the ground when my cuben fiber hammock experiment failed spectacularly.

School B says bring a back up and only pull it out if you need to. Force yourself out of your "comfort zone" so to speak and try something that may or may not work. If it isn't working you can still try engineering the fix while out there. But if you still cannot make it work or you have a critical structural failure you still have something to use. And, despite what the net nannies will tell you, a 6" fall flat on your back will not kill you, nor will it ruin you for life. It may give you a great story after the hike is over though.

So don't listen to anyone that says it isn't worth it or don't do it. That advice is quitting before you even dare to try. Good luck.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I'm one of those long, wide hammock guys, but not one to pooh pooh lightweight hammocks or fabric. In fact, when making a longer, wider hammock using the lightest weight fabric only makes pack sense. While a couple of vendors have stopped selling 1.1 hammocks, that's more because we have a society where somebody will sue somebody else at the drop of a hat to cover up thier own incompetence or ignorance and they are concerned that a slick lawyer could scare a jury of uneducated, inexperienced people with the words "lightweight fabric".

I made a 12 foot long 67" wide hammock out of the 1.1 MarPat that DIY Gear supply sells. I slept in it every single night for two and a half years---both in my home and in the field---and I'm taking it into the field with me today for a three night trip. I weigh 215-220# and am 6'-0" tall. Before that, I used a BIAS Weight Weenie clone made from narrower 1.1. I'm also using a 12'-0 hammock made of 1.0 Hyper D and the only problem I've had with it is that the stretch to length ratio is makes me have to put the tree straps higher on the tree. The only lightweight fabric I've ever heard have a consistent catastrophic failure rate was the old .67 Argon, which isn't even being sold anymore.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I'm one of those long, wide hammock guys, but not one to pooh pooh lightweight hammocks or fabric. In fact, when making a longer, wider hammock using the lightest weight fabric only makes pack sense. While a couple of vendors have stopped selling 1.1 hammocks, that's more because we have a society where somebody will sue somebody else at the drop of a hat to cover up thier own incompetence or ignorance and they are concerned that a slick lawyer could scare a jury of uneducated, inexperienced people with the words "lightweight fabric".
    Good point.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I'm near 200 pounds and I've used both 1.0 HyperD and 1.1 poly ripstop for a while. I was concerned about the poly at first since it doesn't stretch (blew me away when I first sat down in it and didn't sink at all), but it's been holding up great. Lightweight fabrics will hold you, just make sure you're comfortable.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have nothing to add other than to say I've slept in a PolyD 1.2 hammock every night for the past 8 months, except the two weeks or so that I slept in the HyperD 1.0 hammock that I use on backpacking trips. Neither hammock is showing even a little sign of wear. I weigh 165.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images

You should be good...

The other (more pertinent to the current post) is that I want to try to make the lightest possible single layer hammock. I am 160 pounds and 6'1''. I have several 4 yard pieces of 1.1 ounce nylon ripstop "laying around" that I could use. And some of the 1.2 polyD is in the mail heading my way right now. But I am reading that folks think that a single layer hammock with these light of fabrics is a bad idea. Is it??
    Well, from personal experience, you would be "safe" using lightweight material to make your hammock. Though, as others have mentioned all 1.1oz ripstop is not created equal, and I don't really have any experience with using it for a hammock body, so I will let others speak to That. I would advise a low maiden hang. I weigh~190lbs and my current rig is a 10ft NylonD 1.0. It is by far the most comfortable hammock I have. I have had a good dozen+ hangs in it, and I am not seeing any runs, any breaking or straining. Even on the end channels (through which I run my suspension) I don't see any signs of strain or tearing or anything. Check out this thread for a couple confidence inspiring pictures.

The real question would be one of comfort. Some people don't like the stretch factor in lighter fabrics. That being said, the PolyD you ordered will have relatively very little stretch. I am making a PolyD 1.2 hammock myself to compare to the NylonD 1.0.

So when it comes to safety, I think you would be fine with a lightweight fabric. Do some testing of whatever hammock you make (think bouncing and swinging violently for a bit). It is lightweight fabric though, so you should treat it like other light weight gear. I do also recommend looking more at a lot of the work that SGT Rock has done. His consistent use of UL materials and approach were integral in convincing me I could go light with a hammock and in getting my hammock and suspension dialed in right at 7oz. It makes the hiker a little more enjoyable, and I get to swing to sleep.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY ray way kit
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / Te Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee + straps
    Wow, well thanks everyone. In particular Sgt. Rock (whose posts I have taken note of already) -- with your encouragement I will dive in. The comment that all 1.1 is not created equal is duly noted. I can tell this just handling the material I have on hand. In general I have been surprised how durable ultralight gear is when treated sensibly.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I have also been one of the conservative voices but I have some HyperD 1.0 in the mail or I should say stuck in custom for 4 days now If it holds cool if it don’t one step back to 1.6. My reason for trying 1.0 beside the weight I want to see and feel if it changes the comfort. I am 194lbs BTW. I changed my mind because other in my weight class had positive experiences. It is a balance. If it fails I can look in the mirror and blame myself nobody else. I am not naïve and still think thinner fabric is more sensitive to damage but I am willing to give it a chance.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast