Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR L/JRB SS L
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch
    Images

Bug Net - Separate or Attached?

I am open to any opinions on whether having a simple, gathered end hammock with a separate bug net is more comfortable than a gathered end hammock with an attached bug net. I am talking solely in terms of comfort - not modularity, weight savings when net not needed etc.

It seems that the attached bug net changes the shape of the hammock and pulls the sides tighter. I have noticed some ankle pain in almost no matter what position and I am wondering if this might be a cause.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    can't you tell with your XLC? completely removing the net (and consequently the foot box and shelf) makes the XLC into just a simple gathered end hammock, only with half a zipper attached to the hem. There's no reason an attached net should affect the comfort of a hammock, there's just different hammocks with different whipping techniques. Take them apart, and hammocks are all rectangles, just gathered differently.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    i'm nearly finished with a Sgt Rock style bug tube. the shoddy Singer i was using would NOT stand up to the mozzy netting enough to do a good job so it ate my lunch for two whole runs of the long side and one run of the other long side before it D I E D a terrible needle shattering death (needs to go to the shop with the 1970's singer that i've got) but the White 1620 super zigzag machine did a fantastic job trucking right through the last long run and the shockcord channels. will post more tomorrow after i finish it all the way. im good with separate, im all about modularity and using only whats needed and i like to camp in the cold. less bugs in the cold, less reason for the bugtube.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    12' DIY or WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR L/JRB SS L
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch
    Images
    Thanks for your input. It does seem that it would make a difference if the bug net is attached.

Hammock
    12' DIY or WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR L/JRB SS L
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    can't you tell with your XLC? completely removing the net (and consequently the foot box and shelf) makes the XLC into just a simple gathered end hammock, only with half a zipper attached to the hem. There's no reason an attached net should affect the comfort of a hammock, there's just different hammocks with different whipping techniques. Take them apart, and hammocks are all rectangles, just gathered differently.
    I plan on trying it with my XLC but I just haven't had the time to do it. I was just wondering if any of the other knowledgeable people on this forum could share their expert opinions.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I do not see the bug net making any difference with comfort
    Ankle pain a result of squish??
    or a result of the very beginnings of bed/pressure sores from being stationary in the hammock...something that does bother me and requires moving the position of my feet every once in a while in either of my Hammocks
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatTallHammocker View Post
    I plan on trying it with my XLC but I just haven't had the time to do it. I was just wondering if any of the other knowledgeable people on this forum could share their expert opinions.
    Ahh well yeah, try it out and see! I think a lot of the comfort and security of a zippered net could be psychological. You are able to get into different positions when a top is zipped onto the edge, so maybe without that wall of fabric there, you'll slide into a different position, one that hopefully releases the ankle pressure.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I have temporarily tried an 11' UL Darien from Papa Smurf, Ala, Dream Hammock. It has an integrated bugnet and I love this hammock. The 11' may have some reason why the bugnet didn't effect me, I don't know.

That said, I have a DIY simple gathered end 10'x5' netless hammock. I use a Fronkey bugnet that the hammock slips into. The net is not attached to the hammock, but instead, it surrounds it. I love the Fronkey style because it doesn't effect the hammock lay at all and there are no zippers to worry about. This comes from experience using the net in Summer, except 2 weeks ago(no bugs 2 nights, whoo) and no net in Winter. The lay is the same with or without Fronkey bugnet.

2 weeks ago, first night. In Florida.
    IMG_0319 copy.jpg
    Second night. No bugnet either night.
    IMG_0372 copy.jpg
    With bugnet.
    DSCF0214.jpg DSCF0213.jpg
    It's hard to tell because there is no one in the hammock at either stage. The net just lays loosely on the SRL until I get in and then it slides around the hammock as I move around without pulling on either side of the hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is totally a personal preference thing. The conventional netted hammock with attached zippered net does limit the hammock to one shape. Not necessarily a bad thing. (The exception being TTTG Switchback hammocks.)

A separate net lets the occupant change diagonals back & forth during the night, with equal comfort. So, maybe if you toss & turn a lot (like me), you might prefer a separate net.

The other main difference is some folks want to be buttoned up, and others want a quick exit. Maybe it depends upon how many times you water the bushes at night.

And then there's setup time. There's nothing to set up with a built-in net.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip but I also tried a Byer Moskito Hammock and spent one night in a WBBB. All three hammocks had integrated bugnets, and I got leg cramps (calf ridge).

After a couple of years, I tried a Buttinasling Weight Weenie DL. No more leg cramps! I've since tried tablecloth hammocks, a couple of other Buttinasling hammocks, and am currently using a Dutch PolyD 1.4 hammock. I haven't had a leg cramp since leaving integrated bugnets behind.

Here in NJ, I really only need the bugnet for three months out of the year (mosquitoes are lethargic at 60* F, and immobile at 50* F), so I get nine solid months with no bugnet. Is a Fronkey-style bugnet a bit more of a pain in the butt than a zippered bugnet? Maybe, but it's a price I'll pay. Besides, I hate zippers.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast