Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Quilt length question

First let me start off with my height - im 5'6" / 67.2"

I currently have a 3/4 55" Zeppelin which covers almost my entire frame. Anyways I was looking into possibly selling/trading the 3/4 off and picking up a longer quilt - specifically the UGQ 66" 7/8 or the 77" full. Any other short folks out there using the 66 as a full quilt? If I can sort out the size issue before ordering and guessing I can save myself a little space in the pack, as well as the hassle of trading selling it off again.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The problem with these things is that you can't go to your local REI and test out the alternatives before buying. For example, I bought a Hammock Gear Incubator in standard (78") length and, although I am still experimenting with the quilt, I think that 78 inches is too long. The quilt covers from past the top of my head to beyond my feet (I'm 6'1") and, while in theory this may sound great, in practice not so much. The problem is it is difficult to cinch up the quilt horizontally at the ends to avoid gaps. The horizontal cinch points are where my 11 foot hammock starts to taper, and this is what's creating the problem. There is a draft collor which may or may not aleviate this, we'll have to see when the cold weather sets in. If not I'll be selling or swapping this baby for a 72 incher, which I think is the sweet spot for a full length quilt. Given your size, you can probably get by with 66 inches but I would recommend against if you ever wanted to sell since 66 inches would be too short for taller folks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The problem with these things is that you can't go to your local REI and test out the alternatives before buying. For example, I bought a Hammock Gear Incubator in standard (78") length and, although I am still experimenting with the quilt, I think that 78 inches is too long. The quilt covers from past the top of my head to beyond my feet (I'm 6'1") and, while in theory this may sound great, in practice not so much. The problem is it is difficult to cinch up the quilt horizontally at the ends to avoid gaps. The horizontal cinch points are where my 11 foot hammock starts to taper, and this is what's creating the problem. There is a draft collor which may or may not aleviate this, we'll have to see when the cold weather sets in. If not I'll be selling or swapping this baby for a 72 incher, which I think is the sweet spot for a full length quilt. Given your size, you can probably get by with 66 inches but I would recommend against if you ever wanted to sell since 66 inches would be too short for taller folks.
    I think you're mistaken on the Incubator length. I'm 5'10" and the 78" standard Incubator works fine for me. I'm not sure where you get the idea that 72 inches is the sweet spot for a full length quilt, given your size. The HG website says that the standard length Incubator will "generously cover most hammock campers up to about 6'2"."

I'm just curious: what kind of 11 ft. hammock do you have that "starts to taper?" All I own are 11 ft. hammocks, and none of them "start to taper."

Also, if you're having trouble horizontally cinching up the ends to avoid gaps, in all likelihood you've got it too tight, not too loose. Once I buy an UQ, I get help from an HG UQ regular user and have them adjust the ends while I'm in it. This has worked fine for me, and I own three HG UQs. In all three cases, I've adjusted once and never again.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-29-2015 at 11:27.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes not being able to test things out really hurts. You are correct about the re-sale part, taller people are not going to want something too short unless they are specifically looking to weight reduction. I would keep the 3/4 I have, im just short on space at home. Its hard to hang everything inside when its not in use. I dont want them sitting in stuff sacks. I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone short will come across this thread and hit me with some info.

I have an 11 foot Simply Light Designs Treerunner DL. The problem I run into is that, when I center the quilt and lay at an angle, a gap forms around my right shoulder, near the wall. If I move the quilt down so it ends at my shoulders, the gap goes away but then the quilt is way up on the foot side, forming (I asume) a gap down there. I fiddled with this for over an hour and, with the quilt centered, I can't remove the gap at my shoulder. I adjusted the the shock cord from very loose to very tight, and everything in between, to no avail. As I mentioned in the original post, maybe the draft coller will prevent a cold spot, who knows?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have an 11 foot Simply Light Designs Treerunner DL. The problem I run into is that, when I center the quilt and lay at an angle, a gap forms around my right shoulder, near the wall. If I move the quilt down so it ends at my shoulders, the gap goes away but then the quilt is way up on the foot side, forming (I asume) a gap down there. I fiddled with this for over an hour and, with the quilt centered, I can't remove the gap at my shoulder. I adjusted the the shock cord from very loose to very tight, and everything in between, to no avail. As I mentioned in the original post, maybe the draft coller will prevent a cold spot, who knows?
    The quilt is supposed to end at your shoulders - no use in insulating body parts that aren't there. Once you get the quilt properly adjusted (get help from an experienced user), I don't think you'll have any issues.

While you're assuming there's a foot gap, I doubt there is unless you have the horizontal cinch too tight.

For example, I bought a Hammock Gear Incubator in standard (78") length and, although I am still experimenting with the quilt, I think that 78 inches is too long.
    Shorter quilts aren't likely to be warmer. They certainly weren't in my case. Better to get your current Incubator adjusted than go off chasing a theory that you might be alone in believing.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-29-2015 at 13:17.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The quilt is supposed to end at your shoulders - no use in insulating body parts that aren't there. Once you get the quilt properly adjusted (get help from an experienced user), I don't think you'll have any issues.

While you're assuming there's a foot gap, I doubt there is unless you have the horizontal cinch too tight.
    So in helping him, you sort of helped me. The 66 should work for me since I wont need it coming up past my shoulders, since im 67 from my feet to the top of my head a 66 would in fact be "full length" for me. It might be a little tight but definitely close. Or did I read your post incorrectly?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I have a 7/8 winter quilt that covers me fully. I'm 5'8"
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I'm 5'11" and got a HG 20 incubator short and it is perfect from tips of toes to just beyond my shoulders almost neck, I really didn't see the point in an extra $40bucks for 6" besides when your in a hammock you are not straight when you are laid out in it. I thought I would chime in and give a perspective not mentioned yet; this is paired with an 11' wbbbxlc. WBBB XLC HG20 Incubator Short.jpgWBBB XLC HG20 Incubator Short (4).jpgWBBB XLC HG20 Incubator Short (3).jpg
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
    So in helping him, you sort of helped me. The 66 should work for me since I wont need it coming up past my shoulders, since im 67 from my feet to the top of my head a 66 would in fact be "full length" for me. It might be a little tight but definitely close. Or did I read your post incorrectly?
    I don't know much about UGQ, but the website says (about the 7/8 length, 66 inch quilt) that "Persons under 5'6" will get very close to full coverage and may have full coverage depending on sleeping style." So if you're comfortable with that, go for it.

RexClifton is seven inches taller than you and thinks he needs a shorter quilt than the 78" HG Incubator. I just don't think that's the case - he just doesn't trust himself that he's got the quilt properly fitted. He says it's "difficult to cinch up the quilt horizontally at the ends to avoid gaps" but I don't have any problem and I'm four inches shorter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast