DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Sewn Footbox vs. Open Footbox

I have my Underquilt picked out and purchased, it is on the way. I'm in the process of figuring out which top quilt I would like to purchase and am kind of torn between a sewn/closed footbox vs. an open/adjustable footbox. I would like to hear from owners of each on opinions of each. I have my selection narrowed down to EE Revelation and the HG Burrow. Currently I use two different rectangular sleeping bags, zip them up a quarter of the way and tuck my feet in. Both are synthetic, so I want to upgrade to down. Opinions and thoughts? thanks alot

Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Seems to me the depending on the person and circumstances, the biggest advantage with an open adjustable foot box is it can vent while a sewn can't. That said, mine is a closed sewn foot box.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When Adam at HG asked me what kind of footbox I wanted, sewn or snap, I asked, "Why would I want a snap footbox?"

I have three TQs, all sewn footboxes, and still don't understand why anyone would want a snap footbox. It's the last place on earth I would want to vent. If I'm that hot, I'll kick the TQ off entirely.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have snaps but I never open up my quilt. I never find the need to open it - easier to just kick my feet out if needed. And I worry a little about the possibility of pulling a snap loose from the fabric.
    If doing it again I would get a sewn footbox.
    Now...maybe on a summer quilt I would open the drawstring but probably not the snaps.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

I'm a warm sleeper and have the sewn box just kick your feet out if to hot. Way better when it gets cold with the insulation at the end IMHO

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I made a sewn footbox for the No Underquilt Hang 2 weekends ago. Low temps both nights were 76*F and 75*F wind light to med wind. The TQ was a low quilt batting with sewn thru construction. It performed great and I didn't have to take my feet out of the footbox. The second night, I slept from a little past 11pm to 7:25am without waking as comfortable as can be.

I also have a snap/draw cord synthetic TQ and my feet start to get cold at ~ 40*F unless I stuff a sock in the small hole. I have used this quilt down to 23*F at the bottom of it's ability before it starts to affect my sleep. I like that I can open the quilt for use other than in my hammock, but I will now get sewn footbox from now on.

You can vent a snap footbox by uncinching the cord a little or a lot. You can also vent a sewn footbox by taking your feet out of the footbox and resting the TQ on top of your feet. Your choice.

Good luck and I hope this helps a little.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've had both and prefer sewn, though I do have the Revelation as my summer quilt. To me, the snap part is not the weakness, its the cinched hole at the bottom. I like to push my feet into the down, and this became a problem with the cinch cord giving way. All too often, I've made decisions based on what I might be able to do with something, when in fact its better to get something that performs best the one thing you're definitely going to do with it. At least with a TQ anyway.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    On my 2.5 ounce Climashield quilt I have a drawcord footbox. I like being able to open it completely and use it as just a throw or blanket. Especially for travel where I'll be sleeping inside and need to supply my own blankets.

My cold weather top quilt is sewn.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I got the snaps on my HG Burrow...mostly because they charge $15 for a sewn footbox. The price was high enough imo so I didn't go for adding $15 on top of that just to get a sewn footbox. Otherwise I'd have gotten it too for most of the reasons stated above...

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for all the great replies. i think i'm leaning towards sewn for a cold weather. and possibly buying a separate quilt for summer

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast