Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hmm. sounds like I might try that Traveler with separate netting. Thanks for the info, guys!

Hammock
    Byer Moskito or Parrot Bay
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Home made
    Images
    One option no one has mentioned,

If you get a hammock with integral netting like the Byer Mosquito Traveler, and you don't want to use the netting, just turn the hammock over and let the netting hang underneath you.

I wouldn't go into the boundary waters without some form of no-see-um proof netting.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    One thing to consider that is often overlooked about the integrated bug nets is the ability to trap a little heat and absorb a little moisture (ie. fog). The temp bump I can attest to; there is a noticeable difference inside a hammock with integrated bug netting when the temps dip hard. The moisture repelling abilities is just a theory that I haven't had the opportunity to test yet. Last night would have been a good time; it looks like London here today.
    oh, i think having a net really helps keep condensation of your sleeping bag in colder weather especially, i know on winter nights i've gone with a no-net i've woken up with frost al over my bag, and i haven't really noticed this with the net, my bag seems to stay pretty dry

That's interesting about the net, but it does make sense. It basically makes a double wall tent that way.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Never really thought of my netting as a breathable weathersock, but it makes sense.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I've used a Mosquito Hammock, with intergral net and a Warbonnet Traveler with the separate net. My biggest problem with the Mosquito Hammock was anything I put in the pocket wound up underneath me and a little bit uncomfortable. With the ridge line on the Traveler, problem solved. The net definately helps keep condensation down and traps a little bit of heat in cooler weather.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Hum...bird Pelican
    Insulation
    0-Wooki 20-Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I just had a big learning experience regarding mosquito netting. I have a Warbonnet Eldorado that is the same as the WB Blackbird minus the shelf. I am currently camping next to what was a beautiful lake (reservoir) a couple days ago. The lake is being drained for dam maintenance and it has left the area around me a perfect habitat for mosquitos. Last night it was actually cool enough at the end of July to use my Wooki underquilt and provide some additional bug protection.

What I learned:
    The mosquitos can bite me anywhere my body is pressed up against the hammock and not covered by the quilt. I highly recommend a sock-type bug net in bad bug conditions. Parts of my hands and arms that came into contact with the hammock body or netting last night were bitten a bunch last night. I also noticed that my feet seemed to be getting bit when pressed against the netting. I think I will invest in a bug sock and try that out over my current net and under the hammock body. I imagine that a double layer of netting would help a lot in the worst case scenarios like this particular trip. And I now know that having a net hanging under the hammock body is essential even when using an underquilt in buggy conditions. I'll also have a loaner net for when the bugs aren't awful and another hammock camper joins me.

In summary: Mosquitos suck. And the wind blows!
    Mosquitos suck and the wind blows!

Hammock
    ENO DN+Walmart Equip
    Tarp
    DryFly Yukon Noah
    Insulation
    SB pad Jarbridg
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, Woopie
    Images
    I haven't experienced terrible bites and the difference to me is largely peace of mind, I feel more protected by a ENO Gardian bug net all around :-)
    of course, the string up takes more steps, but usually I'm not in a hurry (that might change when I do disturbed army of skitters)

If you're going to be using the hammock in situations where you don't need it, I'd get a separate one so you can leave it at home and not have to carry it around for no benefit. If not, it's basically pure personal preference, honestly.

Hammock
    LSOH hexon 1.0 w/detachable bugnet
    Tarp
    WB 20D MInifly
    Insulation
    WB UQ, HG topquilt
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    If you know there are going to be mosquitos I wouldn’t go without a net.

I have recently switched over to a detached bugnet. It is definitely more versatile because you can take it off if you don’t use it.
    I really like not having zippers. Makes it more cokmfortable.
    Also, with the detached bugnet you can stand in it and change or setup your hammock and you are protected from bugs.
    Hope this helps, hang your own hang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast