Dispersed camping in National and State forests.

I'm playing around w/camping at a State Forest in Minnesota but I have never done this. Who's done this and what were your considerations? How did you handle parking? What issues did you encounter?

Images
    Hi tullyj4, you are posting in an introduce yourself to the hammock forum members. It's not the right place to ask about camping.
    This is a hammock forum we mostly talk about hammocks and hammock accessories here.
    We do talk about camping in the donating members sections.

That said welcome to the forums tell us a little about yourself.

Well, I'm in Minnesota and I enjoy the outdoors. From camping to skiing to boating. I recently changed from tent camping to a hammock. I stumbled upon hammock style camping via YouTube. Watching various Bushcraft types using hammocks to of course Shug and others. Shug definitely influenced me along since I'm very familiar w/the locations he frequents. One goal I have is to do some cold weather camping particularily in and around the BWCAW. As my kids are getting older, the oldest is 8, I want to introduce her to backpacking. I've been camping w/her since she was 1 and she's excited to get out w/me. One big goal is a canoe trip to the BWCAW with her and my hammock.
    Last edited by tullyj4; 07-28-2015 at 00:33.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Howdy tully4! May I call you tully?

I don't know about State Forests in MN, but down here in the National Forests, as long as you are legally parked and not blocking a fire road, you can camp anywhere you want, excpet during deer season.

Welcome to Hammock Forums!

Thanks you Sargevining. And there lies my dilemma. I suppose just pulling over out of the way and hoofing it in. I guess I'm a tad paranoid of the cars security and wondered if anyone has run into an issue.MN State Forests I believe are the same as TX. And Tully's fine! Thanks.

Hammock
    Sea-to-Summit Pro
    Images

Dispersed camping in National and State forests.

Hey tullyj4 and welcome to the forum! I have been dispersed camping a couple times. Each state has their own laws and regulations so be sure to do some tea search for your state! I find that usda.gov is and excellent resource. I know here in Colorado generally there are designated roads that you are allowed to do dispersed camping on. You must park on Tye side of the road (obviously out of the way of traffic) and you may camp up to 300' from the road. And again welcome and feel free to ask any questions!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Greylock 3/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I've gone dispersed camping in St. Croix State Forest. I actually left my car in the visitor parking area at the primitive campground there (Boulder Campground) and hiked out from there on the trails that go through the park. The MNDNR has maps of that forest and the trails. There are also designated parking areas on the maps. Most of the roads I drove on to get to the campground were narrow logging roads, so I don't think leaving your vehicle along one of those would work. It was a tight squeeze the one time I met another car. That's the only forest in MN I've gone dispersed camping in, so can't help you with any other areas.

• + New Posts