Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

I fear my back surgery will take me back to the ground...

Ok. So I had a micro-discectomy (reshaping of a herniated disc) on my L5-S1 (lower back just above my tail bone). The surgery was about 4 weeks ago. A couple days ago I busted out my Eno single nest and hung it in my backyard. I'm going on a 10 day hunting trip in a few weeks so I wanted to test the waters. After about 30-45 min I was a little uncomfortable so I got out. My back hurt like crap for the next two days. Has anyone here ever had a lower back surgery and been able to stay in a hammock? Is it my Eno? Is there a better brand that'll allow me to sleep pain free? It may sound odd, but once my back started hurting originally I found the ground was often the most comfortable place to sleep. But when it comes to camping I want my hammock lol. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Handmade string & 1.1 dbl DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    Wiggys FTRSS, pluq
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Images
    No surgery although the doctors keep telling me that I need it. You may need to try a larger version or a different rig. I have friends who use the ENO double for similar purposes.

In the end you have to do what works best for you. I am using a 10.5ft x 5ft DIY rig with whipped ends tweeked to my needs. It took some trial and error before I got it right. I'm currently searching for the right indoor hammock because beds agrivate my pain and prevent my getting any rest.

Again it is what works best for you.

Good luck.
    Mind over matter,
    if you don't mind, it don't matter

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie + Hug
    Hi,

From the perspective of someone that coaches weight lifting on s an irregular basis:

Are you side sleeping? Probably sleeping on your back along the hammock would be best. The rotational forces on your back caused by sleeping on the diagonal might be part of the problem.

Can you stand and walk ok? If not, the hammock might not give your back as good rest as a pad on the ground. I'm thinking that the back might be getting compressed by the angles on the hammock. Might want to try different hang angles too.

Are you doing your back exercises? Might just be that creating done muscular stability around the place of injury could be the solution.

Hope you find a solution!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's odd that your back feels better on the ground; very unusual.

I usually sleep in a bed, because I'm used to beds. However, whenever my back acts up, I sleep in a hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I had two lower back surgeries last summer. I use an 11' hammock and found that a longer ridgeline seemed to help for a flatter lay.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I had disc surgery
    Just over a year ago. Protrusion of 11 mm into my nerve. L5-s1. I find if my back gets bad the hammock helps. But it depends on the back. 11' self made hammocks

Images
    Discectomy for me was on the 4th-5th lumbar back in 1994.

You have small amounts of scar tissue etc... this require stretching and such.

At 28-days post op, you wonder why there is discomfort? Slow down.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I absolutely know why there's discomfort. Like I said I was testing the waters. I was simply curious if this surgery has caused folks to go to the ground. And if not, what sort of hammocks work best for those with back pain.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You may want to look into a bridge hammock as an option.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Best of recovery to you, from irondog. Spine damage/surgery here, too; precisely where you'd had your surgery, and elsewhere. I literally feel your (kind of) pain. Yes, I still hang well and healthfully. -- Firstly, and irrespective of what "they" tell you: 4weeks past is a short time, no matter how "micro" was your surgery. You're going to have lots of changes down there, and some long time may pass, before you settle into your final form and function; so, take hope, but also take care. Are you doing therapy? Moving on. -- Second: Hammocks allow a greater variability than most beds, pads, slings, etc. You've alot you may tweak & twiddle, before you settle in to what best suits you. This may help you, or this may hurt you. Most swords cut both ways. If you cannot discover/create a position that leaves you feeling well & hunting-healthy, you may yet try another style/size hammock, before conceding that hanging may no longer be for you. It's my own experience that a larger (longer & wider) hammock offers a more forgiving and accommodating lay, with more and subtle tunability. If you side-lay in your hammock (as do I), you may need to eliminate or greatly reduce your lateral extension & (especially) compression, to suit your spine; in this, wider hammocks excel. One man's opinion, and Y.M.M.V., so, it's H.Y.O.H. and find your own best. That said, my experience with an E.N.O. Single Nest impressed me as being a sloppy, one-way, enforced lay, and left me regretting that I'd stuck with it all night. I woke feeling as if I'd slept under a herd of jittery water buffalo. "Upgrading" is relative, but, you may like to shop/test-lay around, and see if there's a better way for you. Ultimately, going to ground is no shame, and no one's going to ask you to take your spine with you and leave the forum. Whatever keeps you well and active is what you need do. What if it be above the ground or on it, you're still winning, so long as you're not IN it!! Best of recovery to you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast