Hammock
    HH ultralight backpacker
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Post Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas

I'm planning a backpacking trip for late September early October. I was looking at Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas but all the reviews on the trail state that it is an advanced difficulty. I have done three trips on various sections of the Lone Star Hiking Trail in Texas, but this trail is mostly flat. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Eagle Rock Loop or any other loops on the Oklahoma/Arkansas area that would be a more moderate difficulty.

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    http://www.duprephotography.com/ERL/index.html is pretty much the definitive site for the ERL. While it is a tough trail it all depends on your fitness level too. if you are in decent shape and dont push yourself too hard you will be fine. I like to start at the FR106 West (Blaylock) trailhead and head counter-clockwise getting the hardest climb out of the way immediately.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I like to park at the northern part of the ABF (mountains first, hiking CCW).
    Backpacking Arkansas is also an excellent source of information. There is a Sub-Forum just for the ERL.
    Water is not a concern, BTW. Even on the ABF leg, there is a creek at the bottom of each of the six mountains. The Viles Branch trail, follows the Viles Branch Creek. Then the Little Mo trail, well, follows the little mo river! carry 1.5 liter for all the hiking, replenish as needed. Just north of the Albert Pike area (camping not allowed after the big flood), there are even some springs along the trail.
    http://www.backpackingarkansas.com/
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's a great loop and well worth the effort. Like Hambone, I parked at FR106 but instead went clockwise. The hills are not too bad, partly because you don't need to carry much water unless you plan to hang near the top of a ridge.

Another, shorter option is the nearby Caney Creek / Buckeye "loop", which is a shaped like a "P". There's only one big uphill/downhill (depending on which direction you head). Water is abundant along the straight part of the "P". Some logistics info is included in the link in my signature line.

• + New Posts