Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing

Converting an indoor Turtlelady stand to outdoors

I would appreciate some advice on how to convert my short Turtlelady hammock stand (using EMT conduit) from an indoor stand to one that can be used outdoors, with a tarp. But first, pictures or it didn't happen...

Stand with tarp in background (suspended by garden hook and fence post), also hammock and underquilt, with Lowe's ridgeline organizer
    2015-0723_Hammock_0011cw.jpg

Tripod (gold for head end, think 'halo') and tarp
    2015-0723_Hammock_0008cw.jpg

Sticky Amsteel with band clamp
    2015-0723_Hammock_0009cw.jpg

Tarp snakeskin (AKA shower scrunchie)
    2015-0723_Hammock_0001cw.jpg

This is how I built it - all ideas cobbled from previous postings in the Turtlelady and Turtledog threads.

Materials bought:

(1) 10' 6" x 1 3/8" chain link fence top rail, cut 4' from non-swaged end, $11.85
    (2) 1 3/8" chain link fence rail ends, $3.94
    (3) 10' x 1/2" EMT conduit, cut in 5' sections, $6.90
    (3) 5/8" white rubber leg tips (package of 4), $5.55 Note: would've preferred black
    (1) 1/4" washers (package of 12), $1.18
    (2) 1/4" quick link, $4.96
    (2) 1/4" anchor shackle, $7.36 Note: only used one

(2) 3/4" - 1 3/4" adjustable band clamp (1/2" wide), $1.96
    (1) 10' x 3/8" ID (Inner Diameter) vinyl tubing, $4.57 Note: 1/2" ID would've been easier to work with
    (2) 6mm carabiners (non-load bearing), $1.97

$50.25 before sales tax

Materials on hand:

Lashing rope (paracord)
    20" Amsteel continuous loops

Assembly:

1. clean pipes
    2. lash tripods legs (see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55th...e_gdata_player)
    3. wrap duct tape below each lashing (6 legs)
    4. insert a washer into rubber leg tip (12 tips)
    5. jam rubber leg tips onto tripod legs (6 legs, both ends)
    6. cross the two outer tripod legs in front of the center leg
    7. wrap duct tape 20" from bottom of tripod legs
    8. position legs 36" equi-distant (36 * .5 = 18 inches, so at 20", the limiter rope won't drag on the ground when not in tripod-mode)
    9. knot rope just above duct tape as spread limiters
    10. place continuous loops over lashing
    11. insert swaged end of the top rail into the other piece of top rail to create the ridgepole
    12. place ridgepole into continuous loops
    13. loop each continuous loop around a quick link (for hammock suspension to clip/hook onto)
    14. place rail ends on each end of ridgepole (decorative mostly and covers the top rail's sharp edges where it was cut)
    15. hang Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock
    16. hang underquilt via rail ends
    17. Sit down, gingerly

It was at this last step that one tripod kept tipping because the continuous loop kept slipping along the ridgepole. Odd - only one tripod tipped; the other loop didn't slide. To counteract the slippage, I wrapped duct tape near the ends of the ridgepole and I looped the continuous loops a few more times around the ridgepole. This only helped a little and made a sticky mess as the loops dug into the tape. Now I have sticky Amsteel. Yuck.

After more fiddling with more duct tape, the slipping abated. That night, two hours into my first overnight hang, my butt was eased to the floor, as that one loop slowly stuttered along the ridgepole. The sticky Amsteel probably helped prevent a sudden drop!

gmcttr's solution of using a band clamp (inserted into heavy vinyl tubing) worked - second night, very little slippage. Success!

Weight (tripods, ridgepole): 16.6 pounds
    Footprint: 13' long x 3' wide

--------------------------------------------------

Now that I have a usable, albeit short (ridgepole is 4' from ground) Turtlelady stand for indoors - how can I use this hammock stand outside with a tarp? My Yukon Outfitters Walkabout Rainfly is longer than the ridgepole. If I make the ridgepole longer, I'll have to use longer tripod legs. At that point, I'm basically making another hammock stand, which I'd rather not do.

Is there some way to attach an extension of sorts to the center leg, like a 45 degree joint and a 12" (or 18") piece of pipe?
    Would that work? Any suggestions would be appreciated - one thing I marvel at is the forums' ability to think outside the box. Thanks!

Images
    This this hitch for hammock suspension, although you have it solved now, by the way what is that rope that you are using for the hammock suspension?

http://www.animatedknots.com/iciclee...matedknots.com

Put a cap of some sort (even a lightweight plastic mixing bowl of suitable size might work as a test bed) on both of the tripods, then the tarp could be laid over them and tension'd, and the problem is mitigated. You are not going to get much coverage camping with that tarp.

Three more leg sections cut in half give you more height on the tripods as well. Think of it as fine tuning a design.

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    what is that rope that you are using for the hammock suspension?
    I didn't modify the Grand Trunk Ultralight suspension (rope and S hook). The S-hook connects to a 1/4" anchor shackle, which has an 8" continuous loop of Amsteel larks-headed to it (and the other end of the loop is slipped into a 1/4" quick link). I added the 8" loop to drop the head end of the hammock lower than my feet. The ridgepole is held up by a 20" continuous loop of Amsteel (now sticky from the failed experiment with duct tape).

The underquilt is suspended by a carabiner that's connected to the chain link fence rail ends. In another thread, someone reported that the rail ends failed when used for load bearing, so that's why my hammock is suspended by the quick link.

I don't have any trees, so the tarp is currently held up by the garden hook and a fence post. I would like to eliminate those two dependencies and only use the the hammock stand to hang the tarp from.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight
    Insulation
    Burrow 40, HH SS
    Suspension
    Stock, Cinch
    Way cool! Thanks for sharing!

• + New Posts