Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook

Recommended UQ?

There are tons of UQ and TQ from tons of mom and pop type companies. I was wondering if there are any awesome, cheap UQ's out there that I missed. If so let me know.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    The cottage vendors here on the forum are likely going to be as cheap as you can get other than diy. Sargevining did some videos recently about making some warm weather quilts on the cheap.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You don't often see "cheap" and "UQ and TQ" in the same sentence, not if you're looking at down. For a synthetic UQ, look at the AHE Jarbidge.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I tried to save money on my underquilt by buying the eno ember 2 from REI for 80 bucks. Total waste, should have gone with one of the 'mom and pops' in the first place because that's where I ended up going in the end.

The ember 2 fits poorly, and is worthless below 45 F, just in case that's where your search takes you. My suggestion would be to use a pad for a bit and save a few more bucks to buy a quality piece of gear later.

Unless of course you are in the market for a slightly used ember 2

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The FS thread has been very very good to me.

Be prepared. Know what it is you want, how much it costs new, and mostly how much you are willing to pay used.

Be relentless. Check FS thread often at if possible odd early morning or late night hours. Not everyone is on the same time zone with you. Both my quilts come from the west coast and were found posted after midnight my time.

Pull the Trigger(Double Tap if you have to!) State clearly that you will take it. Any questions you might have can then be answered via PM. If it doesn't suit for some reason, then just back out. Someone will be glad to get the second shot at it, if it was really the deal you thought it might be.

If you PM first w/o claiming, it will be just what you were looking for, and by the time you can post the claim, someone else will be in front of you. My TQ is a 40 degree JRB Stealth Sniveler - $155.00 and the UQ is a 20 degree 3/4L HG Clone - $75.00.

Those were the best prices I could find. I was also familiar with both individuals from reading HF. Both had good reps and many posts over a long period of time.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrokeHanger View Post
    I was wondering if there are any awesome, cheap UQ's ....
    No.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Pull the Trigger(Double Tap if you have to!) State clearly that you will take it. Any questions you might have can then be answered via PM. If it doesn't suit for some reason, then just back out.
    I've got a real problem with the ethics (or apparent lack thereof) with this.

Perhaps I misunderstand?
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Arrowhead Jarbridge is an excellent bargain, but wouldn't call it cheap. While in expensive it's great quality and the three season is very warm. Honestly though I feel that most of the down UQ are priced fairly.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Totally agreed on this one. If you "watch" the FS forum and use tapatalk on your iphone/android device, it can notify you in almost real time that something came up on that forum. This means that you can respond very quickly if something interests you.

HammockGear.com has some very very very good quilts if you're looking for a specific brand recommendation. I have a 20 degree UQ from there that I use for 3 seasons (not summer).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I cannot stress hammockgear enough. The TQ I have from them is rated to 0 degrees but I would still get a little too warm even down to 20 or so. With minimal clothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast