Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook

Permanent Ridge Line Help

Hey guys I want to install a permanent ridge line on my ENO single nest to get optimal sag. I have no idea on what material to use or how long to make it, help is appreciated. I'm a newbie at this so don't get frustrated since this is probably an easy question for most, thanks. Also keep in mind I don't plan on dropping 20 bucks for rope, I just need what will hold.

Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps
    I think there really is only one type of cordage for use as a ridgeline. Anything else will probably be bulkier or will stretch. http://www.go2marine.com/product/383...blue-rope.html

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    zing-it/lash-it work well
    dynaglide also works
    If your hang angles are close to 30, you don't need a lot of strength
    a good starting point is 83% of your hammock length.
    There is a recent video by shug that will answer lots of rigeline questions.

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Most here use zing it or lash it. You can pick up 25ft of it at dutchwaregear for a good price. You may want to look in to an adjustable ridgeline so you can dial it in perfectly. 83% of the hammock body length is a good starting length for the ridgeline length though.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    An adjustable will let you dial in exactly what feels best to you before jumping into the fixed length. Good materials for a RL mentioned by the folks above. Number of sources here to get them from.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Aw, hey man, that IS an easy one to solve! Thanks for the underhand puffball. I did just exactly this, in the dark, when once I'd test-laid an E.N.O. If I can do it improvisationally, in the dark, anyone could do it! I used a 50Ft. length of 5/16In. braided hollow-core polypropylene rope, the ends of which I'd previously melted & mushroomed. The stuff is cheap-to-free, and is ubiquitous. I simply soft-shackled it around the suspension at each end of the hammock, in precisely the same manner as one would feed a compression lock in an Amsteel whoopie sling (or a novelty Chinese finger cuff), at intervals which I'd thought would give me the slack and sag I needed to survive the night. Do you get what I mean? Clearly, the entirety of the available 50Ft. was not needed to accomplish the task, but I was not about setting me a crafts project in the dark. The remainder of the rope was permitted to dangle. You may want to be tidier and more precise. The benefit to this type ridgeline is that it is infinitely adjustable, by simply inserting the rope ends through ANY of the openings between the runs of braided fibers. This gives you the cheap you insist upon, the strength you require, plus the option of infinite adjustability while you decide on what length suits you best; this, all while you make an E.N.O. a more worthy place to hang your bones. What do you think?

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I, like others above, would recommend using zing-it/lash-it. Most anything larger/stronger is over kill. This type of line is easy to work with and splice, and is nice and light. I personally used the 1.8mm TechLine from DIY Gear Supply, but it is basically the same.

I initially made a fixed length ridge line. It just didn't end up feeling right, so I made another fixed length one that was shorter. I made it too short and still wasn't comfortable. I finally took the hint that I needed to play with the length to find what was most comfortable for myself, and I made an adjustable ridgeline. I made it in the UCR style for greater adjustability and to keep the excess line at the end of the hammock and out of the way, as opposed to the whoopie sling style. I also made the constrictor portion out of orange line (Zpacks 1.75mm slick line) and the main line out of the grey 1.8 TechLine, just to be fancy. I now have a structural ridgeline that is "infinitely" adjustable anywhere between ~112" and 15". This is nice for me, because I use the same ridge line on multiple hammocks.

You could get enough tech line from DIYGS to make a UCR style ridgeline with lots of adjustability for about $4, including shipping. Or you could grab some zing it from Dutch for ~$7 and have enough to do some practice splicing on, make some soft shackles, prussiks, etc.

Another option is to get some cheap line form the hardware store, tie a figure 8 or bowline in one end, and tie a tautline hitch loop on the other. That would probably be enough to get you started. Not as "fancy" or "refined" or light as other options, but perfectly functional.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer up this bit of ridgeline intel......
    Hope it gives insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would suggest an adjustable ridgeline. I like dynaglide as it is quite strong and lightweight.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Stock or Hex
    Insulation
    Clothes, Pad, S.B.
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ^^^^^^ Another fun & funny, realistic, practical, & informative Shug Emery production done right & well, and served with the inimitable style and class we've all come to enjoy and respect!! Even at one point gives the viewer an emotional moment, but the show did indeed go on and Ol' Shug recovered masterfully. Another flawlessly executed presentation.
    My thanks and appreciation to you, Shug. You sacrificed mightily, to bring us that tutorial.

• + New Posts