Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Got my Kevlar straps and Strap Anchors today! Fast service from both Dutch and BIAS. Can't wait to try this setup out tomorrow night.

Hammock
    Sea-to-Summit Pro
    Images

Incremental improvements - hammock bikepacking.

Nice! I'm doing something similar as far as my hammock sans the net. I love bikepacking, great way to go. I would have used a prussic knot instead of the. 'adjustable noose knot' or the clips.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Reviving this old thread because I had some un-posted photos of last year's progress... figured some others just starting out could get some inspiration.

Here is my improved setup, sans bug net.

setup_for_Europe.jpg

I had replaced the big, heavy tied loops that originally came on my hammock with Amsteel 7/64"x8" continuous loops from Dutch:
    loops.jpg
    That alone saved 17g!

Then I ditched the big, heavy multi-loop straps and carabiners...
    old_straps.jpg

old_suspension.jpg

...for 12' Kevlar tree straps and titanium Strap Anchors, another 71g saved:
    Strap_n_anchor.jpg

This idea came from poster WaffleBox in a question thread I posted here. Thanks!

Also ditched the ridiculously long, cheap poly line I'd been using for Dutch bling (did not weigh the difference, but it's probably another 30g or more): a continuous ridgeline setup with Hook and Wasp plus soft shackles:
    Dutch_bling.jpg
    (the soft shackle is right up against the Wasp in that photo...sorry, poor form.)

And traded my silly noose knots for Tarpworms:
    Tarpworm.jpg
    These things are almost too simple. I had to think hard about how the line should go to be secure. But now it's second nature.

Not only is all of this lighter and less bulky, it's way easier to set up. (Though I could fiddle less in some instances, no doubt... but that's part of the fun.) The first photo's setup was done in the dark after imbibing a bit too much.

I have made a much better bugnet -- will post some photos soon. Also aiming to make a hammock to replace the only original piece left in my setup and further push the boundaries of small and light. Also, I'd like to upgrade to a UQ/TQ combo, but realized that my old hammock, an ENO precursor, has those lengthwise seams that would probably be pretty bothersome without the cushion of the sleeping bag + pad I'm currently using.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Just got some packages yesterday and today that I'm very excited about...

DIY hammock materials.jpg

ROBIC in Deep Purple, grey Mara thread, and some Dutch bling to match.

As mentioned above, I did make a bugnet, but hanging a closed-bottom net from the tarp's ridgeline doesn't work so well... as shown here.
    So I decided to go ahead and get Lash-It to make an adjustable structural ridgeline for this hammock, since it will be a different length from what I'm used to and may decide it's necessary. Plus it will be more convenient for hanging the net. Naturally I needed a Ti biner to go with it, in case I want to sit up in the hammock.

Already realized I'll have to make another Dutch order soon... only got one 10' roll of 2.2 Kevlar strap instead of two.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12