First Hang in Yosemite & Gear List/Weights

Hey all!

I'm new to the Hammock world, have done a lot of research on this forum, and outfitted myself with a new set-up for my first hang at THE Yosemite National Park! Here's my set up:

IMG_0043.jpg IMG_1265.jpg
    (The angle is a bit weird so the tarp doesn't look as straight).

• Dutchware 1.6 PolyD Hammock with continuous loops and whoopie hooks (10.2oz)
    • Hammock Gear ridgeline organizer (0.22oz)
    • DIY tulle bug sock (3.3oz)
    • Hammock Gear Phoenix 40 deg. UQ (11.7oz)
    • Whoopies, kevlar tree straps (2.6oz)
    • Yukon Outfitters tarp, ridgeline with Dutch hook and wasp, snake skins, figure 9s and MSR Groundhog stakes (15oz)
    • Cocoon Hyperlite AirCore pillow (2.4oz)
    • Dutchware seat pad for foot insulation in sleeping bag (0.6oz)

The kit (pre TQ) weighs a total of 46.02oz. This trip, since I was car camping, I used my 20 deg REI Igneo sleeping back as a TQ (30.7oz). In the field and depending on the weather, I would either use my SOL Escape Bivy (8.5oz) or I'm looking to buy a 40 deg Hammock Gear TQ.

The set up was comfy and warm down to the lower 40s at night (I think it dipped into the high 30s the last night)! The only major issues I had were the pillow (the inflated pillow didn't allow the back of my head to breathe) and maybe a wider hammock (DH Darien? WBBB?). I found that I needed a bit more room as I am a side sleeper and shift around quite a bit at night.

Any feedback or suggestions?
    For my fellow side sleepers, what are your tricks for hammock comfort?
    Any pillow suggestions?
    Does staking out the sides of the hammock help with the claustrophobic feeling and allow more freedom of movement?

Thanks for all you have taught me, HF! Happy Hanging!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    That's a nice rig you have there. If I may toss out a few things.

I have not yet had much use for snake skins in terms of setting up in a driving/relentless rain but maybe there is something else they are known for. To sheath the tarp is something I have not yet had a use for and would appreciate any guidance along those lines. I have a set of them but have not yet found a way to justify me bringing them into the fold, gear wise.

I usually curl up with a shirt that I stuff my unused cloths in as a pillow and pull items out if needed.

Yosemite can get even down into the 20's at night in the summer despite the warm days so you did well in planning your gear selection.

I have staked out a couple of DIY hammocks ala headchanger and it worked well until I roll over and dislodge the stake due to tension but have come to embrace the hammock curling up a bit.

I'm not sure if I contributed anything or not and I hope you have many good journeys.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerDude View Post
    Hey all!

and maybe a wider hammock (DH Darien? WBBB?). I found that I needed a bit more room as I am a side sleeper and shift around quite a bit at night.
    Looks awesome! Headed to Yosemite this weekend! Unfortunately I am new to hammocking (don't own one), so I can't help with your queries. I am wondering though, How long and wide is the Dutch hammock you got? I'm torturing myself trying to find the perfect width and height for my first hammock purchase, and your insights may help me with that decision. I'm 5'10" and 138 pounds. Sorry I couldn't help wit your questions though. I'm a side sleeper too and will benefit if anyone else posts answers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Sierra Sniveler
    Images
    Nice thread! I've been wanting to hang in Yosemite but it gets pretty cold even in the summer as you have said. What spot did you camp in? Also, did you have any issues with the trees? I tried hanging in one spot but the sequoia trees have very fragile bark. I had wide 1 inch straps but seems like I needed a towel or something between the bark and the strap. Also, the warbonnet blackbird rocks. Its wide and comfy.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppellin
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have WBBB XLS, and I can sleep on my side with no problem. Once I find my sweet spot I sleep like a baby! I can't wait to come back to the USA and camp in Yosemite!!

• + New Posts