Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

How long before I can sleep?

I have tried my ENO jungle nest 3 different nights and a dream hammock freebird with fronky net and can't seem to get to sleep. The ENO was partially comfort issues. The Freebird I was plenty comfortable. I can't figure out what the problem is. I am a side sleeper at home and that might be part of the issue. How long does it take to get acclimated to hammock sleeping? Whats the best way to side sleep in a hammock?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Most folks find that their bodies take a few consecutive nights to get used to a new sleeping environment. I tend to struggle the first night or two of most trips unless I an totally worn out. I pack a little Z-Quill or Tylenol PM with me to take just before bed to help knock me out. After a few nights your body will start to get used to the different feel of things and you should sleep easier. As to side sleep just roll onto your side. Not any real adjustments to make other than you getting the hang of it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

I guess I was lucky, I actually fell asleep faster in a hammock. I am a side sleeper too but didn't think it was possible in a hammock so I slept well on my back. now no matter how hard I try to sleep on my back I always end up on my side but I slept better on my back in the beginning, on my side my feet go to sleep on me from having them crossed.

creek

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    You might try making your ridge line longer on the hammock. As a side sleeper I found that the longer length worked better for me. YMMV
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I slept on a bed or the ground for 50 years (mostly side sleeper). I never had the expectation that sleeping in a hammock (on my back, no less) was going to be easy, and it wasn't (why would changing your method of sleep be easy?). However, there was no way I was going back to the ground. It's pure misery.

If you're younger, then going back to ground might still be an option. It took me quite a while to get accustomed to hammock sleeping. At first I tried a pillow, but it didn't do anything. Then I tried sleeping in the back yard, but my quality of sleep just wasn't the same as a bed. I found myself waking up at 3 or 4 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep.

Then I put a hammock up in my office, and began to sleep in it. That really made all the difference. I can now sleep in my hammock as long as I want (which is usually at least 8 to 10 hours). If you have the motivation, it's really not that hard to learn how to sleep in a hammock, but if you don't, we'll be waiting for the "going back to ground" sale!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    My first night back in the hammock it's always a little tough to get to sleep unless it's preceded by a long hike or some other activity that wears me out. I found that if I sleep on my side, I slide over until my back is actually resting on the side of the hammock so that I'm held up from below and from the side. If you try this, be careful because I did almost fall out when I forgot where I was at.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    It's tough as a side sleeper. One thing you can try is sleeping opposite of what you normally would, by that I mean instead of head left/feet right, try head right/feet left. So the hammock isn't at your back, it's kind of in your face. It also takes getting used to but works for me as a right-side-sleeper.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the help guys. I have a pretty particular ritual for going to sleep at home. I start on my left side for 5-10 mins. When I start to doze off I roll over and fall asleep instantly. If I deviate from this at home I struggle getting to sleep. Weird i know. I think part of the problem is I've been trying to sleep on my back when I should just figure out how to get comfortable on my side. I find it is most comfortable when on my side for my face to face out of the hammock as opposed to the wall of fabric so to speak. I think next time out I will see if I can make my at home ritual work in the hammock. I am also a light sleeper and wake up at the slightest noise.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use ear plugs if I am in the woods. Strange noises could be a factor.
    For the most part I am a side sleeper at home but not in a hammock. One of the first things I learned is if you are cold no sleep. It changed drastic for the better when I started to use an UQ. I also go against the norm regarding the ridgeline length mine is longer. For whatever reason I sleep better (outside) in my hammocks with integrated bugnet. It has nothing to do with the lay I think its something in my mind
    The length of the hammock is essential for me. I am 6 feet and less than an 11 feet hammock don’t work for me. I have made several DIY hammocks including some 10’ but no. This is of cause somewhat related to the design. I do agree your body has to learn the new sleeping style so I often sleep in a hammock at home in weekends but it gets better over time.
    Could be a bridge hammock is the better choice for you?
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I love side sleeping in all my hammocks. I even curl up in a ball. Only position I have not been able to be comfy in is on my stomach. I never sleep on my back in a bed, but probably sleep half the night on my back in a hammock.
    Just keep working with it. Tweek the ridgeline length, raise/lower the foot end, try sleeping less diagonal or more diagonal. Maybe find a hammock of heavier material, or lighter material. When you find the right combo, you will be so happy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast