HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

To those of you using the 2QZQ UQP with a pad...

-
    -
    Donna here...

I am asking for some input from those using our UQP with a pad.

Our UQP was designed to hang under the hammock, with or without an UQ, but without holding any weight. We have been told by numerous customers that they use the UQP to hold a pad...successfully.

My questions...
    -Does the pad stay in place? Does is slide from side to side or from head to foot? I'm guessing that if the pad is wide enough, and if the UQP is snugged correctly, the pad won't slide from side to side...same with proper length.

The Argon 90 fabric is narrower than the standard 1.1 ripstop...so I am thinking this fabric would work better.

Is there anything else I should be asking?

I have a customer that is inquiring about this, and we don't know, first hand, what the answers are.

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this, and giving me any input you have.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Interesting gonna keep an eye on this post. There maybe a new way ...
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I stuffed my REI (wide) pad in my U.Q.P., when I was freezing my fanny off. I did not pack appropriate to the weather we encountered. I was cold and did not want to retreat to the vehicle, so I took my camp seat apart and stuffed the pad in the U.Q.P., put the dogs Tyvek mat over my ridgeline. The Q.P. worked well enough. I would not use that sort of a setup again, easier to just take the proper U.Q. My only excuse was I was going in for surgery I did not want to have and the trip was a spur of the moment, weather was very warm, I was just sloppy, I know better, and have, over the years a lot to say about people who go out in the woods without proper gear.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    This post peeked my interest so I experimented with it last night, so 1 night sleep is all this reflects.
    I used a 2QZQ DWR UQP on a gathered end hammock at 67F - no wind (a basement bedroom).
    My pad is a 30" X 36" Gossamer Gear CCF 3/8" thin lite pad (4 oz).

1) with the UQP 'center draws' cinched up, there was 6" air space between the pad and me. It didn't insulate me in the 5 min I tried this.
    2) I added a clothespin to close up the top of the UQP at my knee level (right where the center draw shockcord starts). The air gap reduced to 3". Within 30 seconds I felt some heat and within 2 min I was warm underneath.

I slept comfortably all night this way. The pad did not move, no condensation. When I got up for a restroom break the hammock cooled in a hurry, but warmed back up quickly. I rolled side to side a couple times during the night and the warmth took 15 to 20 seconds to return/build back up.

So, from 1 night sleep I would say an UQP and wide/light pad combo seems to work as summer bottom insulation 'better than a pad alone in the hammock' because you can regulate the heat and no condensation. The key is pulling the UQP up closer to your backside than a gravity hang alone provides.

I know (from experience) that I would freeze in this room without bottom insulation. I know the UQP alone isn't enough but adding the pad I was surprisingly comfortable. I'll play with this some more.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    During the spring through early fall I have used the UQP with a fleece or jacket and vest and have stayed quite warm. The trick is that you have to have the UQP pulled up tight to the hammock. This works well in the summer as well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    This post peeked my interest so I experimented with it last night, so 1 night sleep is all this reflects.
    I used a 2QZQ DWR UQP on a gathered end hammock at 67F - no wind (a basement bedroom).
    My pad is a 30" X 36" Gossamer Gear CCF 3/8" thin lite pad (4 oz).

1) with the UQP 'center draws' cinched up, there was 6" air space between the pad and me. It didn't insulate me in the 5 min I tried this.
    2) I added a clothespin to close up the top of the UQP at my knee level (right where the center draw shockcord starts). The air gap reduced to 3". Within 30 seconds I felt some heat and within 2 min I was warm underneath.

I slept comfortably all night this way. The pad did not move, no condensation. When I got up for a restroom break the hammock cooled in a hurry, but warmed back up quickly. I rolled side to side a couple times during the night and the warmth took 15 to 20 seconds to return/build back up.

So, from 1 night sleep I would say an UQP and wide/light pad combo seems to work as summer bottom insulation 'better than a pad alone in the hammock' because you can regulate the heat and no condensation. The key is pulling the UQP up closer to your backside than a gravity hang alone provides.

I know (from experience) that I would freeze in this room without bottom insulation. I know the UQP alone isn't enough but adding the pad I was surprisingly comfortable. I'll play with this some more.
    Great! Thank you for taking the time to experiment with this!

I have one question...I think you have the standard 1.1 ripstop UQP...the widest width UQP we sell. Would the Argon 90 fabric, which is approx. 6" narrower, fit better holding a pad?
    Thank you,
    Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have the 1.1 and can only speak for that.
    Reason - the wide 1.1 UQP allowed me to snug it up by wrap the UQP around the top of the hammock and secure it using a clothespin. The less wide Argon UQP may not allow you to do this.

P.S. I often employ this clothespin method (or I just twist the the UQP to cover my lower half) to use my UQP as an 'almost' sock. Allows me to use a HUG bugnet/UQP combo (the closed up UQP keeps the bugs off the lower body and also keeps the UQP from billowing during extreme winds).

P.S.S. I expected you to have '2 Questions' or is this the 'Z Question' :>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I have the 1.1 and can only speak for that.
    Reason - the wide 1.1 UQP allowed me to snug it up by wrap the UQP around the top of the hammock and secure it using a clothespin. The less wide Argon UQP may not allow you to do this.

P.S. I often employ this clothespin method (or I just twist the the UQP to cover my lower half) to use my UQP as an 'almost' sock. Allows me to use a HUG bugnet/UQP combo (the closed up UQP keeps the bugs off the lower body and also keeps the UQP from billowing during extreme winds).

P.S.S. I expected you to have '2 Questions' or is this the 'Z Question' :>)
    This is Donna...ZQ...Zipper Queen...HappyCamper gave me that name!

Yes, the wider UQP will come up higher on the sides...that is why, for now, we are keeping that fabric available for the UQP. If I have trouble getting the fabric at a good price, that might change things...price could go up...or we won't offer it anymore...not my goal.

I think the narrower fabric...Argon 90 or multicam...will hold the pad in place nicely...especially if it cinched up tightly, but not too tight. I'm not sure if Tim still has a pad...might need to check and if he does...have him do a test. I'm not sure when that will be...he is very busy at camp for the summer months. You could say I am a camp widow for now...but that is OK! He is doing great, important work there!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Interesting thread. Just guessing, but I would think that, for this use, it would be wise to add a couple of fabric or cord loops to each side so that light shock cords could be secured from there to the hammock ridgeline, if necessary, thereby pulling the uqp & pad up snug against the hammock. Seriously, though, if I needed a pad to be warm, then I would just as soon take a lightweight underquilt instead.

Images
    Donna, I thought you offered an option where the UQP is especially designed to support a pad. Is that right? If so, is that the UQP you are seeking feed back on, or is it the regular UQP? that is, IF there is actually a pad model vs regular. Might be a figment of my imagination.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast