SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by geneaut View Post
    My direct experience with reflectix is that it works. I don't care what the R value is, or even why it works. Two 24" wide strips about 6 feet long under my sleeping bag took me to slightly below freezing comfortably. I had no condensation issues. I slightly overlapped the pads, but I was aiming for width in the shoulder area versus thickness under me.

For the price point and weight I think I will always have at least one layer around in colder weather. At worst it's nice to sit on.
    Sorry for dredging this thread out of the archives (I'm new to this forum and hammock camping), but can I ask what (if anything) you used to prevent slip-sliding on the reflectix?

As I said, I'm new to this. This past weekend was my first time sleeping overnight in a hammock and being cheap, I got a roll of reflectix and cut a single piece to match the length of my favorite sleeping pad (~76"). I had this in the hammock (a Tribe Provisions single) and along with my "regular" sleeping bag (rated to 25*), I was plenty warm. Temps were in the low 40s both nights with light winds.

The problem I ran into was staying at an angle. I'd get everything situated before climbing in, but I tend to shift around in my sleep, and found that as slick as the reflectix is, I kept ending up laying straight and would wake with a dull ache in my mid-back. Eventually, I took my air pillow (deflated about halfway) and shoved that under as a lumbar support, which helped me sleep OK even laying straight on the hammock.

I think the reflectix will work fine for me (I tend to prefer a cooler bed/sleep system) if I can either find a way to make it less slippery (maybe glue some thin grippy shelf liner?) or come up with a more permanent lumbar support (maybe make one out of another length of the reflectix?)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You can certainly put stuff on it for grip. I'm assuming you don't have a double layer hammock? Even if you did, probably still need something to help keep it in place.

You know how some quilts (or Big Agnes bags) come with pad straps? What if you make torso and foot straps?

I like reflectix, but frankly I just haven't been able to make it work well enough to account for 1) its bulk, and 2) the ease and comfort of an UQ, especially given the economical versions out there.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Sorry for dredging this thread out of the archives (I'm new to this forum and hammock camping), but can I ask what (if anything) you used to prevent slip-sliding on the reflectix?

As I said, I'm new to this. This past weekend was my first time sleeping overnight in a hammock and being cheap, I got a roll of reflectix and cut a single piece to match the length of my favorite sleeping pad (~76"). I had this in the hammock (a Tribe Provisions single) and along with my "regular" sleeping bag (rated to 25*), I was plenty warm. Temps were in the low 40s both nights with light winds.

The problem I ran into was staying at an angle. I'd get everything situated before climbing in, but I tend to shift around in my sleep, and found that as slick as the reflectix is, I kept ending up laying straight and would wake with a dull ache in my mid-back. Eventually, I took my air pillow (deflated about halfway) and shoved that under as a lumbar support, which helped me sleep OK even laying straight on the hammock.

I think the reflectix will work fine for me (I tend to prefer a cooler bed/sleep system) if I can either find a way to make it less slippery (maybe glue some thin grippy shelf liner?) or come up with a more permanent lumbar support (maybe make one out of another length of the reflectix?)
    What hammock and top insulation are you using? Are you moving a lot in your sleep?

I used reflectix this weekend without much sliding around so I’m curious why one setup might work and another doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Hall View Post
    What hammock and top insulation are you using? Are you moving a lot in your sleep?

I used reflectix this weekend without much sliding around so I’m curious why one setup might work and another doesn’t.

Total noob here, using a cheap Tribe Provisions single hammock and a 25 degree mummy bag (forget the brand, but it's your typical nylon-shelled, synthetic filled bag). I do tend to move around a bit in my sleep (at least according to my wife).

I think the slipperyness of the mylar and sleeping bag as well as the narrowness of the hammock (only 48" wide) are all factors conspiring against me staying on the diagonal.

Anyway, I'll be camping again next weekend and think I'm going to slip the reflectix inside of one of my fleece sleeping bags. Hopefully the fleece won't slip around in the hammock as much. I also have a slightly wider TRD hammock that I could try, but I'm just making one change at a time until I find a workable combination.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB. KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I’d recommend using the sleeping bag quilt-style. But I could be wrong. I was also exhausted and probably didn’t move around much that night.

"You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Hall View Post
    I’d recommend using the sleeping bag quilt-style. But I could be wrong. I was also exhausted and probably didn’t move around much that night.

Thanks for the tip. I'd heard that laying directly on reflectix led to condensation/sweating issues, which is why I went with the regular sleeping bag configuration. I was plenty warm and didn't notice any more condensation than I'd have gotten sleeping on the ground.

For the next outing, if I slip the reflectix inside a fleece bag, that would absorb some of the sweat and hopefully also cut down on slipping & sliding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123