Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reflectix pad and UQ together?

Hi, I was wondering if I can use a 40 degree UQ and a reflectix pad together to save weight instead of just buying a 20 degree UQ. I've seen threads of people saying they made it to the 30's with just a reflectix pad. Is there any reason I couldn't use these together? If not, should I keep the pad in the hammock with me, or hang it imbetween my UQ and hammock?
    Thanks!

It's all about r values when you're talking pads. Reflectix has a 3.9 or 4.9 r value. That's outstanding. I've taken them into the teens. Reflectix works best with a thin layer between you and it. I think that's the best band or your buck as far as all purpose system. R value compounds so a 2.5 ccf pad and a 3.9 reflectix pad make a 6.4 r rating... I think combining relctix with any system is a plus in my book.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I agree with the above comment. Reflectix is also lightweight and easy to take with you.

So do you think I could just use a reflectix pad inside the hammock for low temps?

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by jbornyasz View Post
    So do you think I could just use a reflectix pad inside the hammock for low temps?
    I think you will be fine with it outside of your sleeping bag ,I don't like it inside my bag ,I have tried it it tends to make you sweat , (well at least it makes me sweat )
    always use tree straps please

I would use it with a 20 degree top quilt, so my back would be directly on it.

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've used reflectix down just below freezing. I used 2 layers ( 24" wide each ) , but mostly to give me full coverage in the shoulders so the layers weren't fully over-lapped. Other times I've used it in combination with a foam pad.

A lot of peoples experience with reflectix is roughly the same as with pads. If you can sleep on a pad in your hammock OK you'll probably do OK with reflectix. I do well with pads so I'm good with it.

I also have some kind of fabric in between me and the reflectix. Usually my sleeping bag in the temps I tend to use it.

Beware - some people report condensation issues. I've never had it myself, but I've seen enough chatter about it to believe some people sweat more on reflectix than they would using an UQ. If you sleep 'moist' reflectix may not be the solution for you.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    R-value from reflectix is dubious. And while lots of folks use it lying directly on it, the fact is the heat reflection requires space between the generating surface and the reflective surface to work. Otherwise, it becomes a conductor of heat like any other solid material. That said, there are plenty of success stories out there about reflectix, and I attribute that to two things, 1) the air bubbles are more efficient than larger chambers in a regular uninsulated air pad, and 2) along the body footprint is enough space for reflection to work, and especially in the crevices in the middle of the body footprint.

Additive R-value of unlike insulators is dubious, and potentially dangerous. A thin pad like reflectix may work well with a quilt in terms of not blocking too much of your heat from the quilt, which to be efficient, needs to trap as much heat as its losing for you to stay warm. And reflectix is a vapor barrier, blocking potentially too much perspiration from collapsing the loft. But reflectix is a vapor barrier, and you can wake up with condensation around you. Ways of dealing with that condensation might negate any difference in weight between a 20 & 40 quilt.

If its a purchase you're considering, I think its a no brainer to go with the 20, use it comfortably up to 50 where you can then which over to the pad, and have less chance of condensation in that temp range.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Again I'm strictly talking from personal experience... Nd science. Beats just being a skeptical cynic offering no real experience drawn conclusions just condescending diatribes. Thanks for reminding me why I decided to stick to the trail and leave HF be.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I think you'd be fine either way, putting it on top of the UQ or in the hammock with you. I have experienced condensation with Reflectix with the pad under the sleeping bag but it was really humid that night. My son was in a heavier weight sleeping bag with a reflectix pad and the underside of his sleeping bag was pretty damp. We use synthetic bags and they dried quickly the next morning.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast