Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Again I'm strictly talking from personal experience... Nd science. Beats just being a skeptical cynic offering no real experience drawn conclusions just condescending diatribes. Thanks for reminding me why I decided to stick to the trail and leave HF be.

Um, wow, that's completely unfair and inappropriate. Didn't know if the post following mine on another thread was directed at me or not, but now I know.

If I sound condescending, I apologize, I'm just offering info as I know it to be. I'm not a scientist or engineer, I'm a hiker like you. I stand by what I say, though, unless of course you want to offer up some real arguments, not just pissy attitude.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    Take your little girl fights somewhere else.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelMike View Post
    He started it...
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12' X 9'6"
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    He started it...
    Don't make me turn this car around!

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    OK, posting some info from someone I know who is an engineer... Boston from HF. I know he knows his stuff because I've argued with him enough to know! Hoping his words clarify what I said and help with some understanding of how to use reflectix pads. Not "fightin'" words mind you, just stuff you need to know if you're going to use reflectix.

per Boston...

Reflectix is 4/5 r-value when installed on ductwork with an air gap between the material and the duct. The material itself has an r-value of closer to 1.0.

The impact of the reflective layer is NOT accounted for in R-Value. R-Value is a measure of conductive insulation only.

A 5/8" CCF pad with a space blanket glued to it's surface would insulate you better than reflectix, and have the same radiative properties.

If the reflective layer isn't the first layer between your skin and any other insulation (but not in direct contact), it's not providing much benefit - as any barrier significantly reduces the heat radiation that reaches it (including clothes). Putting it under a pad, or outside your sleeping bag basically nullifies it.

A radiative barrier also requires an air space to be effective, so laying on top of it provides almost no benefit. It will still radiate heat back from the area's that aren't in direct contact with your body, however.
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMike View Post
    Pretty sure it's a little boy fight...

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    per Boston...

Reflectix is 4/5 r-value when installed on ductwork with an air gap between the material and the duct. The material itself has an r-value of closer to 1.0.

The impact of the reflective layer is NOT accounted for in R-Value. R-Value is a measure of conductive insulation only.

A 5/8" CCF pad with a space blanket glued to it's surface would insulate you better than reflectix, and have the same radiative properties.

If the reflective layer isn't the first layer between your skin and any other insulation (but not in direct contact), it's not providing much benefit - as any barrier significantly reduces the heat radiation that reaches it (including clothes). Putting it under a pad, or outside your sleeping bag basically nullifies it.

A radiative barrier also requires an air space to be effective, so laying on top of it provides almost no benefit. It will still radiate heat back from the area's that aren't in direct contact with your body, however.
    Absolutely true. (Except maybe that first sentence about 4/5 r-value that I don't quite understand.)

R-Value is a measure of resistance to conductive heat transfer.

Shiny surfaces do two things: they reduce radiation from the surface of the material they are part of AND they reflect radiation away from the underlying material. For radiation/reflection to occur, there must be a gap between the surface and the other material absorbing/emitting heat. Otherwise the transference is conduction.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-22-2015 at 07:01.

Just so I understand, you're saying I couldn't sleep on it like a pad, I'd need to hang it under the hammock? If so, can u think of any ways to do this without a UQ? I would want to use just the reflectix pad without the UQ in the warmer months.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbornyasz View Post
    Just so I understand, you're saying I couldn't sleep on it like a pad, I'd need to hang it under the hammock? If so, can u think of any ways to do this without a UQ? I would want to use just the reflectix pad without the UQ in the warmer months.
    No, folks use it as a pad most of the time. What some of us are saying is that the reflective heat properties of it are at least exaggerated in terms of application, if not non-existent. Its simply bubble wrap with a more substantial layer of Mylar on top which keeps you from popping the bubbles easily when used as a pad. Based on how folks who use it love it, I'd say the insulation you get from just the "bubble wrap" is more substantial than one would expect it to be. You likely get a little radiant heat around your body when used as a pad, and this not only warms you, but it also warms your quilt making it more efficient insulating you on top.

Its a vapor barrier, so you would want enough clothing to absorb perspiration. But if the radiant heat properties are strong enough, and warmed air is pushed further out away from your body so that it mixes with colder air, then you have a strong chance of getting condensation, and getting wet. I feel that ways of dealing with the wetness that can occur end up negating any weight savings from using Reflectix pads as opposed to just using an UQ. But of course, Reflectix pads are a lot cheaper - just depends on which cost you're willing to accept.

I don't think hanging it under the hammock is going to work, or at least it seems suboptimal for the quilt. Down is supposed to be right up on you to efficiently insulate and you would be putting a barrier in between you and the down. You would have to have the pad/quilt adjusted so that it hangs just below you, which is difficult to achieve, and allows for convective air currents, unless you have some other way of blocking them, like an UQ cover. Again, having to add to the setup to achieve the savings you're looking for.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 07-23-2015 at 07:49.
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    My direct experience with reflectix is that it works. I don't care what the R value is, or even why it works. Two 24" wide strips about 6 feet long under my sleeping bag took me to slightly below freezing comfortably. I had no condensation issues. I slightly overlapped the pads, but I was aiming for width in the shoulder area versus thickness under me.

For the price point and weight I think I will always have at least one layer around in colder weather. At worst it's nice to sit on.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast