TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

Hammock class at REI

I just saw this on the Sandy Utah REI class calendar. I can't go that night. Plus I'm afraid that I might not be able to keep my mouth shut during their presentation. It would be interesting to see what kind of info they present.

http://www.rei.com/events/elevated-c...1605492&ev11=1
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    10' Dutch PolyD/ENO DN
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    CCF+0*Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I just checked my local REIs. Unfortunately none of the ones around here in california are doing the same thing. But even if you dont learn anything it could be interesting or fun. I would have tried to go if my local REIs were doing it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The REI in Troy, Michigan had this same class on July 6th. My buddy and I went to check it out and see what they had to say. We are still new to hammock camping (although we each own an ENO DN) but I have done a lot of research here in the forums over the last couple of years and have watched a lot of Shug's videos.

With that being said, even though I am new to hammock camping, I knew just about everything this guy talked about. To be fair, this guy was very knowledgeable and he prefaced the presentation by saying that this class was geared toward people who did not own or know anything about hammocks, or who were very new to hammock life.

The guy who taught this session has been a full-time hammock camper / backpacker for years and owns 17 hammocks, multiple suspensions, TQ and UQ, etc. He brought some of his own gear and discussed how to use all of the different equipment.

Even though I knew everything he spoke about, I feel he did an excellent job for the intended audience. He even mentioned Hammock Forums and Shug's videos for anyone who wanted to delve deeper into the whole hammock "scene".
    YouTube Channel
    Great Lakes Backpacker
    https://www.youtube.com/GreatLakesBackpacker534

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Looks like the one in Boise is in a couple weeks. Curious. Might try to make it.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Even if they don't teach you anything you don't already know, at the very least it's an opportunity to meet those with similar interests as you and maybe spread the word about this forum as well.

I will preface my remark by saying that I have been a devout REI fan for a long time. Member over 20 years, and I even own the somewhat rare copy of the book on the history of REI written in the 80s.

However, I have been to the Sandy Springs store and the I-85 store (here in Atlanta) and they are at best phoning in the hammock support. They have a very small inventory and the staff knows little to nothing about it (and frankly didnt seem to care to) which is not the norm for them. I am very new to hammocks but with just a little reading here, I could run circles around the sales people.

I have thought about dropping them a line and relaying the bad experiences I have had recently because it is really contrary to excellent service over more than 20 years.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I saw an email about the class. Yes I bet most of us could teach it. The other benefit of going is to show rei there is a market for it. If more of us go maybe we can keep spreading the word. Maybe this will lead to a spot on the shelf for dutchware or as we saw paul comment above me... arrowhead.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I think I'll sign up and see if I can make it to the class after work. I might be able to make it in time. I'll report back on how it goes. Gotta represent for HF and all our fine vendors.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by ChefLamont View Post
    I will preface my remark by saying that I have been a devout REI fan for a long time. Member over 20 years, and I even own the somewhat rare copy of the book on the history of REI written in the 80s.

However, I have been to the Sandy Springs store and the I-85 store (here in Atlanta) and they are at best phoning in the hammock support. They have a very small inventory and the staff knows little to nothing about it (and frankly didnt seem to care to) which is not the norm for them. I am very new to hammocks but with just a little reading here, I could run circles around the sales people.

I have thought about dropping them a line and relaying the bad experiences I have had recently because it is really contrary to excellent service over more than 20 years.
    That's a shame, you really should contact someone about your experience.. I would think a store like rei, that prides itself on knowing the products they are selling, would at least attempt to have knowledgeable sales people re: hammocks

I love REI and went to one of these in CT a little over a week ago. I didn't expect to learn anything new but my wife wanted to go. I was very disappointed as I heard a lot of misinformation. I expected them to pimp brands REI sells as it was probably sponsored by Eno, which I guess is ok, but was still surprised. I really tried to keep an open mind because I understand that attending one grand tour at a hammock hang provides more experience than a salesperson can reasonably have. I think it was taught by the climbing guy, who had some, but not a lot of hammock experience. Examples of misinformation (I can't make this stuff up.):

Dyneema cord isn't good for hammocks.

You need to use a stiff foam camping pad to keep from getting cold below 60 degrees.

If you get cold in your sleeping bag in a hammock, you should add a bivy bag.

Quilts are only for winter.

The Eno doublenest is a good hammock to get for 2 people to camp in.

The Eno double nest is good for 400 lbs but if you put that much weight in it, the strap at each end needs to be able to hold 200lbs.

He demonstrated some "easy" knots, starting with the bowline.

The best tarp is blue tarp.

The best bugnet to get is a standard bivy net and adopt it to a hammock. (For these last two, I did pipe in and say that Eno makes both and REI has them on the website.

On the Hennessy hammock, you can have a flatter lay if you tie the side supports really tight. Also, some HH have bottom entry and some have both side zipper and bottom entry. And the bug net can be zipped completely off.

They also didn't seem to have a lot of inventory on hand. They also had very limited ability to demonstrate. There was just one hammock set up between two racks.

The next weekend I set up 3 different hammocks with 3 different toes of bug nets in the woods behind the house and let my wife try each one out. She said she got a lot more out of that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast