3/4 UQ questions

Hi, Im trying to decide what UQ to buy. Im trying to do lightweight backpacking with a Hennessy hammock. In a 3/4 UQ, do your feet get cold? If so, is there a lightweight option to keeping them warm?
    Also, I plan to buy one UQ and use it all seasons. Which one should I go with?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a 3/4 UQ and put a sit pad in the top quilt footbox. I use a GG Gorilla so it comes with a pad that doubles as a back pad sit pad. But I would carry a small sit pad if my pack didn't have one. Just getting off the cold ground to cook is nice then use it in the hammock for a foot pad.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I carry a lightweight sit pad that I can use in the footbox of my TQ if necessary. I've had to use it a couple of nights when the low was in the upper 30s - low 40s using my ¾ 40F UQ. I also have a removable foam pad in my backpack that I could use if necessary.

I can't really tell you what UQ to get. You'll have to decide what you think will be the lowest temps you'll be camping in and then buy an UQ that is rated for those temps. Then go and checkout the various cottage vendors here on HF that sell high quality quilts. You can click here to go to that sub-forum.

Thanks for your help

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some UQ intel I shall offer up.......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I believe it also depends on the temperatures you need to use it in to determine what is the one for your "maximum coverage". I think most people find a 20° UQ as the best one for most ranges.

Since my winters tent on the colder side (and I'm a cold sleeper) I picked up a 0° UQ for winter and a 40° UQ for summer. The 40° is a Phoenix (3/4 length) and I am really wishing now that I had picked up a full length one. It'd had been worth the few extra ounces. This way I could have used the quilt during the fall and spring (which can get to the 30° range easily) and not worried about my feet at all. Even during the summer here it can dip into the 50s and it would have been nice. Again, depends on the temperatures you camp in.

Just food for thought.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    For all seasons, I would recommend a full length. I really wanted to make a 3/4 work but it just didn't feel right to me. I mainly wanted to do it for less bulk, not necessarily the weight. With a ~6oz difference (weight of a few pairs of underwear) it wasn't worth messing with a pad for my feet.

If it's starting to get cold (35° or under for me) I like to have my feet covered not only from underneath, but all that down wraps up the side and almost over the top of your toes depending on how you have it adjusted. That helps, especially if it's blocking wind or drafts.

If we were talking temps over 45° at night...heck, that's a joke! A 3/4 would be easy. But it sounds like you're looking for versatility and I think you'll find that in a (20°) full length.

• + New Posts