Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    I just ordered a Hammock Tent Gamma and man this thread has been educational! Any new info? I'm trying to figure out light and cheap tarp and pad/UQ options. I have a Loco Libre Cayenne Pepper 3/4 UQ which may work well. I just need the right pad I guess? I'm tall at 6'2", so I'm not sure whether a full or short pad is best. I should get the hammock in a week or two. Thanks for all the great info!
    Holy hell, there's a 50% off sale for a lot of stuff on the website. But I digress.

Anyway... at 6'2" I'm a little worried it won't be long enough for you. I think you're about 3-4 inches taller than its intended audience. I have other concerns too... without a big, full pad (like a Exped UL7, which I just bought hoping it will stretch out the hammock and insulate well), the hammock will probably "accordion" down and maybe make you feel crowded, even if you are big enough, and a 3/4 UQ might be too short considering how you'll lay on it.

I hope you like it but I'm not sure if this system will work out for you.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I hate to say this, but I would definitely correspond with Luke prior to completing the purchase. Unfortunately, 6' 2" may not be accommodated well by this style hammock. I believe the maximum length Luke would recommend would be between 5'11" up to 6'1" max??? Please ask Luke and it could save on misunderstandings and/or an unhappy customer. No one likes that. Just my two cents.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I'm just under six foot and I feel I'm at the maximum when I'm stretched out

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Thanks for the info guys. I emailed Luke when I ordered and he said I would be good, that the ends "compress" to your length. I'm hoping it'll work. If not, I have enough family and friends that it won't go unused It should be here in a week or so, so hopefully I'll know soon. It's hard to pass up $104 shipped for the Gamma either way!
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I will Amen that!

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Last night I spent a simply wonderful night in my lasted 90 degree hammock experimentation. Earlier in this thread I waxed rather verbose on various UQ schemes. It also shows pictures of the chopped up ebay down sleeping bag DIY UQ. Last night I attached the red UQ to a yoga pad? that I picked up at Goodwill for a few bucks. The pad varies from 1/8" to 1/4" thick because of the embossed design. It was late and experimental so all I did was attach some shock cord to loops on the UQ, put it around the pad, and add a little tape for good measure. I figure if it worked I could make a better quick release attachment in the future.

The temperatures outside at night have been -25F yesterday and -4 last night. I have a small space heater in the dog trot to keep my border collie warm. The temperatures range from a skim of ice on the dog water bowl to around 40F near the ceiling. If it was up to me Belle Marie would be inside with me, but my wife is dead set against dogs in the house.

I stuffed the "InderPad" as Greg from Holland coined it, into the pad pocket. Since the yoga pad is just the right width to span the width of the pocket, I folded the InderPad in half on the long axis to aid in the stuffing.

A couple of observations from last night. First I was very comfortable, nary a case of CBS to be had. I have previously written in this thread on the pros and cons of various pad and UQ configurations I have used. The pros of this InderPad design has the ability to partially collapse when entering and exiting the hammock making it much easier; there isn't a long pad poking upward to hit the tarp sides; provides a great seat when sitting upright on the end with your butt mid hammock; and when sleeping on your side the hammock conforms to your body. The cons are you most likely will on rare occasion need to grab the head portion of the hammock while simultaneously stretching your feet out to adjust the lay of the hammock that may collapse a bit (not really a problem but I thought I would mention it). Secondly, the InderPad is somewhat bulky in its winter configuration. It would be less bulky when used with either a Costco throw UQ or the Arrowhead Ridgecreek UQ that I commonly use with a Thermarest 3/4 length inflatable pad.

I think I tried something similar with a yoga pad that was uniformly 1/8" and it was not quite stiff enough to do as good a job holding the down UQ across the pad pocket width. If it was summer time and I was backpacking I would most likely resort to using the Arrowhead Ridgecreek and Prolite 3/4 length pad.
    HammockInderpad2016_4.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I just thought of a couple more 'pros' for the InderPad. Since it is "inder" as Greg from Holland would say, it is neatly tucked inside the pad pocket and secondly I think this just might be able to do double duty inside the pad pocket of my WBRR.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Thanks again for the great information I have a Loco Libre Cayenne 3/4 UQ which may work well with some sort of pad. I am concerned with shoulder squeeze (both shoulders have been "worked" on), so I may need more rigidity. I won't know until it arrives I reckon. I have a line on a Big Agnes LW insulated pad as well. AMOK recommends it, but I really like your concept of a combo pad/UQ. It sounds soft and warm.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have both a WBRR and a Luke's 90*. The bridge WBRR is know for lack of shoulder squeeze, but in my experience the 90* provides less shoulder squeeze even in a non-pad configuration. The caveat being I haven't had both shoulders worked on, and consequently, my opinion might not count for much. I should also add that since my 90* is set up with beads forming a lazy S suspension lay (discussed earlier in this thread), my experiences may differ somewhat from others.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 12-18-2016 at 16:26.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Okay, for the last couple of nights I have been testing an update to my lazy S suspension modification. I decided to insert the beads into the sleeves as can be seen in the pictures. I tried that one night and then thought it needed a little more for my personal comfort (with the beads inserted in the sleeves I use a girth around one strand instead of around two strands as in the original design). Therefore, I took a medium sized zip tie and wrapped the suspension around it once. This also better isolates the bead in the sleeve pocket. To locate the bottom of the girth hitch, stretch the suspension strand tight and mark the very bottom with a marker. This way the bead lies at the exact bottom of the suspension strand, and thus, equalizes the stress on both sides of the suspension strand.

I also thought about simply taking a progression of mulitple wraps around a zip tie, i.e. one wrap, two wraps, three wraps; and sequentially back down to one wrap. The first three suspension strands from the toe end are not shortened, and that forms the pseudo-footbox. The three wraps is under your knees giving the most lift. I had also tried this with small metal quick-links, but the quick-links easily wrapped around other suspension strands and was abandoned. I tried this last night with a second 90 degree hammock.

The lazy S worked quite well with the multiple wraps around a zip tie, but during a couple of exits during the night two of the zip ties popped. It might work better with a better grade of zip ties as I had one zip tie snap just by tightening it. Anyway, as those of us with a science background know, a negative result with the quick-links and cheap zip ties is just as important as a positive one (That is why the idea that global warming is settled due to a 'consensus' of scientist is so much mule muffins, so to speak). However, I will say that using multiple wraps around a zip tie is a very inexpensive, easy, and fast way for someone to assess if a lazy S suspension will work for them.

I have not had any of the better quality snap ties on the bead/single wrap zip ties pop. It should also be noted that since I am using a UQ and light weight 3/4 pad instead of a full length inflatable pad the stress load on the strands is significantly higher. With a full length inflatable pad the load stress is shared across multiple strands. However, I personally prefer the advantages of a short pad with UQ.HammockLazySv22016_2.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast