Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thanks everyone special thanks goes to my old timers whom I miss dearly. Just going through some tough times to get online with my hanging friends, because of school, family unacceptance of my career change, surgeries, and most importantly some really rough times with an almost 18 year old.

But, back to hammock talk, I do have my DIY down UQ on, but want to make one for home use and leave the down for camping use. Still debating on what will give me the best fit. Was thinking polar fleece with nylon covering on the outside, but still digging. Will a wool one hang and fit correctly? You would still add darts, right?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Sorry to hear about your struggles. Stay strong and try to find your centre Your family may be unaccepting, but they're not the ones who have to make the career choice and live with it, are they?

Well, I can't say for sure 'cause I haven't started the project yet, but I'm imagining a couple of darts, shock cord through channels on all four sides, and some quilt hooks (since this is indoors and on a stand I'd rather not have a ridgeline). There are heaps of guides littered around this site.
    Been about three nights in the hammock indoors now and I'm loving it. I'm getting the down uq nicely dialled in, which is invaluable for when I next go camping. My cat is also tentatively getting more confident about the hammock, which makes me so happy, because having her sleep with me always makes me much more comfortable.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    For my home UQ I just sandwiched some polyester batting between inexpensive polyester fabric and quilted to keep the batting in place. Basically a triple layer quilted hammock under the sleep hammock. The hammock is laundered weekly and the UQ maybe every 4 to 6 weeks. This setup makes the UQ easily removable and washable. The batting only needs to cover the area under your body.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Olddog;
    Do you mean to say that your underquilt is the same length and width as your hammock? Did you dart it at all, or just gather-end it?
    Poly batting would certainly make laundry easier.
    I'm getting the feeling that home-sleeping uq's are a different beast, not having to abide by any of the rules of small pack size or loft-to weight ratios and so forth.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    One layer of the outer fabric is full length and gathered at the ends. The other layer is only as long as the batting just to retain and protect the batting. Where there are 3 layers fabric/batting/fabric it is quilted on a 3" square grid pattern. This is to keep the batting from shifting. I only used a batting that was about 3/8" thick which is plenty indoors.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Good to hear from you DiviaB. You're right, everybody is happier when mama is happy. Glad you're getting a good nights sleep.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Morelia; Thanks for the encouraging words. Glad you are liking your hammock inside too I'm not using a stand, I had my husband go full on and into the double top plate of walls. I figure I can pretty much adjust a hammock to fit, and most importantly, I'm secured. With plastered walls and an old stud finder, I felt very unconfortable with what it was claiming...and it's inconsistancies

Well hello there Grannypat!

olddog; do you by any chance have a picture of your house UQ that you'd be willing to share? On and off hammock?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for spelling it out Olddog Sounds like that design would keep it snug against you without any need for tweaking or adjusting.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I thought about putting anchors in the walls, and my landlord is supercool so it would be fine, but I figured the stand would give me the opportunity to try things out before committing, and also give me something to use camping in my tree-poor backyard or car camping.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Morelia; Thanks for the encouraging words. Glad you are liking your hammock inside too I'm not using a stand, I had my husband go full on and into the double top plate of walls. I figure I can pretty much adjust a hammock to fit, and most importantly, I'm secured. With plastered walls and an old stud finder, I felt very unconfortable with what it was claiming...and it's inconsistancies

Well hello there Grannypat!

olddog; do you by any chance have a picture of your house UQ that you'd be willing to share? On and off hammock?
    I'll see what I can do but it may be a while. Have to report for grand jury duty tomorrow morning at 0730 in Tampa 37 miles west of me. Since retiring I have been strictly a casual attire person. The last wedding and wake I attended was in shorts. Somewhere around here I have some pants and ties. But where? Plus the fact I haven't been out of the hammock before 0800. Tomorrow will probably not be one of my better days. Maybe if I make like an obnoxious cantankerous old fart they will just send me home. I'm getting better at pulling that off lately. Get a lot of practice by shopping at Walmart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast