spandex footbox?

Been lurking for something now and have learned a lot. Have made a 10.5 foot gathered end 1.6 argon and a fronkey bug net that both work great. Laying in the hammock the other day contemplating the floppy material at my foot end and planning the dimensions of a knotty mod an idea popped into my head. What if I sewed a triangle footbox on made of a stretchy material like spandex. What do you folks think this would act like when setting on edge of hammock to get in and out on the footbox side? Also would it function as a footbox should?
    Last edited by norman60546; 07-13-2015 at 17:30.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by norman60546 View Post
    ... idea poop into my head. ...
    I hate it when ideas POOP in my head.

I have no info on your question, but I am interested in the answers you get. Will be watching this one.

By the way, welcome from another noobie.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    It is an interesting idea. I've been making mine lately with nanoseeum and an adjustable top to dial in the footbox. That said. I've recently taken the mesh off one of my foot boxes and I'll tell you why - this winter I kept getting cold feet. On my last hike I had an epiphany that it might be because the foot of my quilt is up against the side of the foot box and pressing in against the loft creating a flat spot which lets my heat out around the feet. So now I still have the foot box side, but I'm going to experiment with no material for the foot box. Interestingly UK hammocks gave me the idea for the adjustable foot box said they gave up on a "foot curtain" at the foot box years ago.

Something to think about anyway.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm thinking maybe the other way. Just stitch some 1" wide elastic along one or both edges where the material "flops". You could gather it like the waistline of a pair of briefs so it will only stretch to the dimensions of the fabric when you're trying to get in/out but then automatically take up the slack. I have a feeling something like spandex will stretch too far under the weight of your feet to the point of discomfort. Interesting idea though...let us know how it works out.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I'm thinking maybe the other way. Just stitch some 1" wide elastic along one or both edges where the material "flops". You could gather it like the waistline of a pair of briefs so it will only stretch to the dimensions of the fabric when you're trying to get in/out but then automatically take up the slack. I have a feeling something like spandex will stretch too far under the weight of your feet to the point of discomfort. Interesting idea though...let us know how it works out.
    If I understand your suggestion correctly, it's a slightly altered Knotty mod. This mod is different to a footbox; the footbox increases the space in the hammock (because it allows you to put your feet right up to the hammock edge without going over) - the Knotty mod decreases the space but gathers up some of the floppy fabric. I don't know why it is such a problem to have some floppy fabric, though... I prefer a footbox. Still have to try this mod.

Hutzelbein, yes that mod looks like it is a great idea. You get the added room of the footbox and can make footbox with matching fabric. Spandex would not match the hammock fabric in most cases, it would probably be a bit lighter though. I like the idea of the added space of a footbox without limiting getting in and out on that side because I think I would like both sides of the hammock modded

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I made a hammock with a stretchy material on foot box. It worked well in summer and was very comfortable but in winter it formed around my feet, compressed my down TQ and my feet got cold. I think the idea is good but fabric should only be a bit stretchy of in only particular directions

• + New Posts