Hammock
    11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin

Question Needs Help -- DYI Hammock with detachable integrated bugnet -- :)

Hi

new hanger here going straight to DIY!

to make it short I'm making directly two as I'm going cycle touring on bromptons with my gf

both are the same size but one single layer and one double layer.

Thank you Greg Brouelette (link) for telling me I needed 12,5ft long hammocks (since I'm 6"3)
    and thanks Dave Xtrekker (link) (and Lost_biker) for the detachable integrated bugnet DIY with a bunch of zippers to be able to open on both sides.

I'd like to have no ridgeline as I feel it gets in the way (but I'd love it if one of you convinced me I was wrong... but that's maybe off topic)
    so I would like to have a bug net that hangs above me like on the DD Frontline hammock (link) because I really like those spreader bars that pull out the bugnet and tie off to the tree or tarp ridgeline

My question is

should the bugnet fabric be the same length as my hammock?
    in order that it doesn't rip because it would hold all the tension
    I believe this is the case for a DD frontline because you can flip it over to use the hammock with out a bugnet but if I do so how can I manage to not have too much fabric sagging all around the hammock.

I'm probably answering my own question with this picture but I'd really prefer to have your feedback first
    DD_Frontline_Hammock_Green_03.jpg
    is this made of 3 pieces of fabric like one big rectangle for the main part and two trapezoid kind of shapes for the ends ?

how could I figure this out?? and make sure my bugnet won't rip appart on my first hang (if you have DD hammock at home let me know! )
    or any other advice you think might help....

Thanks you very much for your help, these forum are goldmine in terms of shared knowledge, read a lot here, youtube and other sites so Thank You!
    Last edited by oliop; 07-11-2015 at 06:24.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    12.5' ?? That's REALLY long! Excessive fabric makes for a heavier hammock, bulkier to pack. 11' is the new length that most like. For years 10' was the norm. Each size has their own following. While 12 foot hammocks may offer some luxury, they would be too big, IMO. And the need for a larger tarp falls into play. So the weight and bulk continues to grow.

Secondly, don't believe every video on youtube. Maybe I should make a video on the benefits of a 20' hammock.

For your picture-
    The netting is a rectangle. Nothing more. The net and the base hammock material are cut from the same pattern (i.e., both are 10 feet long by 60 inches wide)

The reinforcing grosgrain for the net suspension gives the illusion of a trapezoid. The grosgrain is two parallel lines stitched to the net, then the netting is sewn to the hammock.. then the ends are sewn with a channel. Once gathered the net folds into the appearance of a trapezoid...magic.

Your 6'-3" height is not a limiting factor. Most folks that height find a 10' or 11' plenty comfortable and packable, without the need to buy a larger tarp.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin
    Thanks for your reply gargoyle!
    Do make that video and I'll give it a thumbs up

I actually just had a try with my gf in her hammock and simple pinned the bugnet over her and like you said the normal rectangle seems fine. the grosgrain seems important to make sure it doesn't tear up at that point.
    So for you it will be possible to combine this DD set up with a zipper all around in order to remove the bugnet?

any thoughts on the fact that I'd like no ridgeline on our hammocks?? everybody seems to have them here ...

the hammock by itself (without the netting) is only 290 grams so 10,2 ounce! it is surprisingly extra light light breathable fabric!
    not sure how much it will hold (I should ask the profabrics.co.uk that sold it to me) reason why I'm doing a double layer for mine but I'm only 165 pounds so it should be fine

I made a hex cut tarp yesterday that's based on this pattern (link) but with a 12.5' ridgeline by 10.5' large because it is to cover both our hammocks side by side and that only weights in the end with all D-rings and webbing 950 grams so 33,5 ounce so also quite light given the very big size.

We will be going cyclo-touring with this so technically our bikes are carrying the load even though we really want to try to pack small and light given the fact that we are riding foldable bikes - Bromptons so we cannot have tones of pannier like regular like other bike campers out there

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    When I first set up a ridgeline on my hammock I thought it would get in the way, but soon realized it wasn't at all. With longer hammocks the ridgeline is actually quite a ways away from the hammock and the center point. I'm 6 feet and I can sit in my hammock and the ridgeline being there has never been an issue.

I like the ridgeline because I know I can get the hammock to have the exact same sag every night. When I get the hammock strung up I can get in and go to sleep. I don't have to fiddle with it to get it perfectly comfortable, it's already there.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Netting needs support.
    Options-
    Internal rl. Supports the net and offers consistent sag (once set to your liking). Also a spot to hang a rl organizer.

Removable rl- Make a connecting point along the rl that can be undone for when the rl is not needed or preferred. Duty rated carabiners can be used here. Or some have made soft shackles to use here.

^Both of those options work for gathered end hammocks with custom fitted/cat cut netting, like the Blackbird.

External rl- These are usually shockcord to suspend the net. Shockcord allows for expansion when the hammock gets weighted in use. Typically found on hammocks where the netting is the same size as the hammock body. Difficult to hang a rl organizer without effecting the netting, due to the added weight in the organizer.

I have made several hammocks like the one you referenced in your picture. The netting does not get ripped, as long as you are careful during the construction process. Leave the netting slightly larger than the main body fabric (approx. 1" in each direction) depending on your fabrics stretch. If your hammock fabric is excessively stretchy?, take special care to size the netting appropriately.

A bug sock may also work for you? Along with a removable rl?
    Bug socks give you the option to leave the netting at home when the bugs are not an issue.

A continuous zipper around the entire hammock adds weight, and takes extreme talent to get all components to fit together properly. The ends of the hammock (where the netting will be attached)need a smooth radius to allow the zipper pull to travel freely (zippers don't like sharp turns). These end caps are a custom fit. Then the netting needs to custom fit, along with the zippers.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin
    Thanks for your detailed answer

I do like the external support which could either be tied to the tarp's continuous rl or to the tree itself
    I won't need a RL organizer as we have a couple of pockets in the hammock itself so enough for a flashlight, book and other small items

I'm going to leave extra fabric lengthwise and for the sides as well. for the zipper I was adding anyways a triangle and both ends to hide the end of the zipper and at foot end gives a nice soft turn. currently with no bugnet my hammock is half the weight of the Kammok Roo I wanted to get initially so I think I can manage a little extra weight.
    I'll try this out and I'll keep you posted with the results!! (and now that I know how to make hammocks I can always make others! for different purposes )

in any case thanks for the support!!

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

External rl- These are usually shockcord to suspend the net. Shockcord allows for expansion when the hammock gets weighted in use. Typically found on hammocks where the netting is the same size as the hammock body. Difficult to hang a rl organizer without effecting the netting, due to the added weight in the organizer.

I have made several hammocks like the one you referenced in your picture. The netting does not get ripped, as long as you are careful during the construction process. Leave the netting slightly larger than the main body fabric (approx. 1" in each direction) depending on your fabrics stretch. If your hammock fabric is excessively stretchy?, take special care to size the netting appropriately.

A bug sock may also work for you? Along with a removable rl?
    Bug socks give you the option to leave the netting at home when the bugs are not an issue.

A continuous zipper around the entire hammock adds weight, and takes extreme talent to get all components to fit together properly. The ends of the hammock (where the netting will be attached)need a smooth radius to allow the zipper pull to travel freely (zippers don't like sharp turns). These end caps are a custom fit. Then the netting needs to custom fit, along with the zippers.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    oliop, have you used a hammock before? Or will your DIY hammock be your first hammock?

I agree with gargoyle - 12.5' is overkill for a travel hammock. If you do a bit of reading in this forum, you'll find that 99% of the taller users are perfectly fine with an 11' hammock. Before you commit, why don't you get some cheap cloth and whip up an 11' hammock and see how you like it? I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. If you go with a very long hammock, you have to factor in that you're not only carrying the extra fabric needed for the hammock and bug net, but you will also have to carry a much larger tarp. If you hang your 12.5' hammock with a 30° angle, you will need a tarp with a ridgeline of at least 12.5' (better 13' or 13.5'). A tarp with an 11' ridgeline probably won't provide enough coverage. And since your hammock also will have more of a "belly", your tarp will have to be wider. The more sag your hammock has, the wider the tarp should be to protect you from wind blown rain. This means, your tarp will be bigger and heavier, too. And you will need more space between trees to hang, which limits your choices.

I would also recommend getting a simple DD hammock as blueprint. The Frontline is only £49.00, and you could also order the DD spreader bars ("Hammock Poles") for your DIY hammocks. The design of the DD is quite simple: the bug net has the exact same shape and dimensions as the hammock body. It's sewn to the hammock fabric in the ends. Both long sides are connected to the hammock with a zipper. If you wanted to save a little bit of weight, you could use only one zipper and sew the other side closed. You'll need to reinforce the net where it's tied out. Seeing the DD would certainly help you and probably save you some time to get it right. And you would either have a cheap loaner hammock, or - depending on her size - your girlfriend could use it.

If you go with the DD hammock design, you won't be needing a ridgeline. But using a ridgeline would help you get a consistent hang, as well as let you build a self-supported bug net - which would also save you some weight due to the diamond shape. Especially with long hammocks, the ridgeline will never be anywhere close to your face. You will probably be able to just touch it with your outstretched arm. Again, it might be a good idea to put together a cheap no-net hammock with a ridgeline to see if it really bothers you.

Hammock
    11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin
    Thanks hutzelbein for your feedback

I will whip up at 11' and see how it feels.
    I was indeed going to order the spreader bars from DD and had already contacted them to have the exact dimensions

The hammocks are on hold for 10 days as I have to travel, I completed one single layer 12'5 but no bugnet attached yet
    the second one which will be a double layer is cut to length at 12'5 but I can always recut it to make it shorter

So far the only thing done is our tarp which I talk about in an earlier post, it's a 12'5 ridgeline with almost 15' on the side by 10'5 large weighing in at 33.5 ounces. Do you think it is wide enough for two hammocks side by side?

Thanks!!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I think you definitely want a structural ridge line (SRL). Especially if you're going to use this back or bikepacking. The SRL gives you a consistent lay each time you set up your hammock. Since you'll likely be in a different spot each night, that's going to be important. Also, you'll likely be tired from the days effort and the SRL will save time with trying to fiddle with your setup.
    My buddy didn't want one either. He also complained about the hammock not being comfortable. One night I took some extra cord I had and eyeballed the distance and put a ridgeline on his hammock. Bingo. Slept great.
    It's on all the nicer hammocks for a reason.
    Good luck
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oliop View Post
    So far the only thing done is our tarp which I talk about in an earlier post, it's a 12'5 ridgeline with almost 15' on the side by 10'5 large weighing in at 33.5 ounces. Do you think it is wide enough for two hammocks side by side?
    It should be OK for one hammock; you'll have to see if it's possible to cover both hammocks.

How tall is your girlfriend? Coverage would already be better if at least one of the hammocks was a bit shorter.

For what it's worth: I cycle tour as well. Yes, it's true that you don't have to carry your gear on your back and can pack a bit more luxurious. I'm by no means ultralight, but every time I hike or cycle tour, I wish I packed a bit more weight conscious. When I started out, people kept telling me that I should buy a lighter hammock and tarp, but I didn't listen because I thought I needed the extra sturdiness. After my first cycle tour, I got a lighter hammock and exchanged some of my other equipment. It made a difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast