11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin
    It's great to get advice from other bikepackers like you hutzelbein
    we do try to reduce the weight of our gear specially because we are on bromptons so have quite limited storage space and not tones of panniers like on regular bikes.
    I'm really surprised by the 290 grams weight for the 12'5 single layer I made so far. I will bring it down to 11' as you all suggested but keep mine a double layer because I don't have the test weight specs for this breathable fabric I got.

my gf is 5'6 and 97 pounds (1,70m and 48kg since you're in europe!)
    I'm 6'3 and 163 pounds (1,92m and 74kg)
    what length would you recommend for her?

and I need to discuss with her but will probably go we might forgo integrated detachable bugnet with zipper all around and go for a topper bugnet like Sheltowee designed (link)
    seems super easy to use and I'll modify it a bit to be able to take it off quickly during the day

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    It should be OK for one hammock; you'll have to see if it's possible to cover both hammocks.

How tall is your girlfriend? Coverage would already be better if at least one of the hammocks was a bit shorter.

For what it's worth: I cycle tour as well. Yes, it's true that you don't have to carry your gear on your back and can pack a bit more luxurious. I'm by no means ultralight, but every time I hike or cycle tour, I wish I packed a bit more weight conscious. When I started out, people kept telling me that I should buy a lighter hammock and tarp, but I didn't listen because I thought I needed the extra sturdiness. After my first cycle tour, I got a lighter hammock and exchanged some of my other equipment. It made a difference.

Thanks Brian, we will try a ridgeline I promise !!

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    I think you definitely want a structural ridge line (SRL). Especially if you're going to use this back or bikepacking. The SRL gives you a consistent lay each time you set up your hammock. Since you'll likely be in a different spot each night, that's going to be important. Also, you'll likely be tired from the days effort and the SRL will save time with trying to fiddle with your setup.
    My buddy didn't want one either. He also complained about the hammock not being comfortable. One night I took some extra cord I had and eyeballed the distance and put a ridgeline on his hammock. Bingo. Slept great.
    It's on all the nicer hammocks for a reason.
    Good luck
    Last edited by oliop; 07-13-2015 at 04:27.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oliop View Post
    my gf is 5'6 and 97 pounds (1,70m and 48kg since you're in europe!)
    I'm 6'3 and 163 pounds (1,92m and 74kg)
    what length would you recommend for her?
    Well, I'm 165cm and a 10' hammock works well for me. I have longer hammocks and like to use them at home, but at my size I find that other factors like width, whipping, fabric weight and stretchiness have a much bigger impact on my comfort than length. I'd say your gf should be fine with a 10' or maybe a 10.5' hammock.

Hammock
    11,5' all DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12,5' by 10,5'
    Insulation
    not yet, will DIY
    Suspension
    webbing/marlin

(UPDATE) it's not an integrated bugnet no more!! ;)

Hello to all,

after your great input a few weeks ago where I said I was a first time hammock camper (not hammock all together though) and wanted to build 12,5 feet long hammocks... it was too long I know & I listened to all your remarks

I went ahead and built a 10' single layer for my gf with a 98" RL (she's 5'1 and 97 pounds)
    I slept in it one night to test it out before making my own (I'm 6'3 and 160 pounds) but I wanted your feedback first. Didn't look at the weather forecast and it was wiiiiindy that night but it was fun anyways
    and YES a RL are great and a lot less hassle to set up so thank you all for convincing me

no whoopie sling or fancy hardware, just a loop of 5mm dyneema cord in the triple stitch end channels on to a marlin spike on my tree hugger webbing (I WILL change that big wooden dovel don't worry it's just for the pictures, I'll pick up aluminum tube or something light)
    I think (?) the RL is not on properly on as I put it through the dyneema loop that goes in the end channels, should I put it over it?
    (the white thing is simply a piece of shrink tube to protect the end of the cord)

the fabric is very soft for the hammock and extremely lightweight
    it's some kind of windproof ripstop nylon, added a sheltowee style bugnet over it held down by two stakes. not the 64" he recommended mine was 61" large but it's enough coverage anyways. I was happy to see a couple mosquitoes on the OUTSIDE of the bugnet the following morning

Over it it a big winter tarp I made it's 12,5 feet long by 10,5 feet wide as it is supposed to cover our two hammocks side by side.
    The fabric is much thicker than the hammock but I had tones of wind when I slept out so it's heavier but will by durable and hold up.
    that's until I decide to invest in some cuben fiber and make a lightweight version, any thoughts on the weight for a tarp this size because hammock gear doesn't give the specs (link)

Set it up with a continuous RL with no hardware like Derek Hansen from Ultimate Hang does (link) super simple and easy to adjust over the hammock.
    Finding cool hardware isn't easy in europe so I will go like this for a while.

You can see the pictures below and as for the weights here goes:
    - tarp with guylines 960grams --> 33,8 ounces
    - 10' single layer & RL with suspensions 280grams --> 9,8 ounces
    - bugnet 140grams --> 4,9 ounces
    - 10' sl + bugnet 420grams --> 14,8 ounces

so I feel that's pretty good no?
    since I wanted initially to get a Kammok Roo before deciding to DYI and theirs is 24ounces so closer to my tarp
    I now need to make the stuff sacks but these sure pack down small I'm really impressed and that's great because these are to go bikepacking with foldable bikes. we'll have very little room on our bromptons

My questions:
    what's your overall feeling?

should I add a bunch of tie-outs on the side panels of the tarp to close the doors or will the stake suffice?

same for the hammock... I will make pockets as I'm not RL organizer fan for now, but tie out to dry or hang stuff... are those useful or no?

I initially wanted to do a double layer for me with weight reasons but after having slept in hers I feel like it's fine.
    I ask because we will very soon make UQ (going all DYI like I said ) so should I simply forget it and gain weight?
    We'll stick pads for now for the summer but it's not that cold in france anyways

also hers is 10' felt a bit short for me, my legs were sticking a bit high up, so should I do 11' or 11,5 feet?
    I originally wanted to make 12,5feet but given the feedback in my previous post seemed overkill...

please comment, am all for learning from all your experience so go ahead.

1 1.jpg
    1 2.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4 1.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    Last edited by oliop; 07-28-2015 at 15:36.
    sharing is caring
    so let's share more tips & experiences

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    let me preface this with: I'm no expert! I've never made a DIY hammock myself.....yet.

So that being said, I think I would run your RL over both sides of the loop. So both "sides" of the loop as they exit the end channel on each side of the gather would go through the ridgeline loop. Hope that makes sense. Other than that I think your setup looks great.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Where did you get the in instructions for you bugnetting?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12