Help me choose. Safari deluxe or Explorer deluxe.

I am 6' 1" and 251 pounds. I also have a bit of wide shoulders. I recently tried the DD Frontline bur that was to narrow för me. Is the Explorer deluxe enough for me or should i go for the Safari deluxe?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fekki View Post
    I am 6' 1" and 251 pounds. I also have a bit of wide shoulders. I recently tried the DD Frontline bur that was to narrow för me. Is the Explorer deluxe enough for me or should i go for the Safari deluxe?
    It is going to be real hard to say since so much of this is an individual thing, IMO,sort of like shoes. One size 12 person may not like the same pair of shoes as well as another.

However, I started 8 or 9 years ago with an Explorer UL ( I am 6'1", up and down 205-220), and I always found it plenty wide enough for me. Then again, one of my most overall comfy hammocks has always been my Claytor No Net, which is probably the least wide hammock there is. Only 48" wide b 10 ft long I believe. So take that into consideration as for whether the Explorer is plenty wide enough for me or not.

I also have the Safari No Net model. It is much larger than the Explorer or any other hammock(from the usual camping hammock vendors) I am aware of. I always found it to be my most comfy overall non-bridge hammock, beating out the Claytor slightly. But I am just as comfy on my back or side fetal in my Explorer as I am in either the Claytor or Safari, except for more frequent calf pressure or possibly knee extension in the Explorer(can usually get that worked out). I am more comfy in the Safari or Claytor if on my side with legs straight. As far as shoulders go, all are just fine for me. But your safest bet is the Safari if lots of room is what you want. Don't be fooled by the Safari's 112" length stat, that is the RL length. The Safari is built with LOTS of sag, WAY more than any other hammock. If I sit in my Explorer, the RL will hit me right behind my neck. In my Safari, it is way up above my head. So as far as fabric length goes, the Safari is way longer than the Explorer. I think the Explorer(when I have measured the fabric) is getting close to an 11 ft hammock, the Safari may be closer to 12, and also quite wide.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    6'4" 265 here. I like my Explorer Deluxe Zip.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Hex
    Insulation
    C Pepper, Wht Clou
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    6'4" 215. Love my Safari. If you are not going to do any backpacking get the Safari.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies
    All the responses here have good points. And BillyBob is right... it's really an individual thing --and a lot of preferences come into play (weight, size, attached vs detached tarp, Space, etc.,) Space inside the hammock is probably number one for me. I love my Explorer, but I'm a person who likes a lot of "perceived", as well as 'actual' SPACE. (Maybe my huge Dangerbird has me spoiled). I can see how someone over 6' could comfortably sleep in an Explorer, but I'm only about 5'9'' 165lbs and it just 'feels' like I'm pushing my personal space limit. (even though I could probably fit another person in there with me). Weight is not an issue for me, so, If I could go back and get a do-over, I'd get the Safari for the extra room. (Which I may end up doing soon)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Stock Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HHSS, JRB WntrNest
    Suspension
    HH Stock Rope
    Images
    Short but wide here, LOL, I have the Explorer Deluxe and have plenty of room, even comfortable with a 25lb. King Charles Spaniel next to me, Been happy for many years with my choice. Last fall had the opportunity to sleep in a safari and LOVED the roomy factor, would go that route if I were going to upgrade.
    Last edited by yakinkate; 08-29-2015 at 20:19.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY 12 ft. w/Doors
    Insulation
    Flight Jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I do quite a bit of backpacking, I use an explorer deluxe. I love it. I'm 6'2 270. Definitely wide enough, especially if you stake it out or use a sleeping pad inside it. Go explorer imo.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use my explorer deluxe for backpacking. I find the room quite nice (I'm 6'1", 155lb).

I went with the Explorer and i had a couple of very comfy nights out in the Woods. The Explorer is about my limit in my pack. A larger pack size wouldnt fit in my hiking pack.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fekki View Post
    I went with the Explorer and i had a couple of very comfy nights out in the Woods. The Explorer is about my limit in my pack. A larger pack size wouldnt fit in my hiking pack.
    Glad to know it is "very comfy"! All of my year one blissful hammock camping experiences were in an Explorer UL/HHSS, I was just really happy with it. That did not keep me from searching for something even better, but still, if that was the only hammock/insulation system available, I would still be completely happy with it!

• + New Posts