Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7(BPing) ENO(porch
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG quilts
    Suspension
    straps/cinch buckl
    For what it is worth, I use the Grand Trunk Nano 7 for backpacking. I got rid of the biners and use Dutch cinch buckles - hammock is down to 5.3 oz. I am currently awaiting Dutch's Summer Sock (7.4 oz) to use as a bug net so that I can go without the underquilt in the summer. The Nano is a small hammock (9'x4'), but at 6'2" 250 I can still lay diagonal. I also picked up HG's Cuben Tarp, so my whole summer setup I will be just over 1lb. Just another thing to look at, good luck.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    image.jpgYou might want to check out Dutch's new 10.5' Half-Wit Hammock. There are some reviews on the Dutchware sub-forum. Designed for backpacking. Comes with knotty mods at both ends.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I've been camping with a HH for many years now (but just recently upgraded to a Dream Hammock that I haven't even been able to camp in yet). Anyway, I haven't used the side tie-outs in years. Once you go a while without them you'll wonder what they were even there for to begin with. If they bugs weren't bad I'd unzip my bug netting on each side to the extension and then throw it over to the other side. Then I could sit in it more like a chair/lounger and relax and talk to everyone without the bug net in the way. But zippers on both sides would have been an awesome option I never even considered.

I don't know how bad the bugs are where you are out in AZ, but as sandykayak mentioned, the Half Wit is a light weight and inexpensive way to go as well.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    You might also look into some of the bridge-style hammocks like the ridgerunner from warbonnet or the bear mountain bridge from jacks r better. The netting is able to get moved completely out of the way (rolls up and tucks away at the foot end of the hammock) for lounging and talking, plus the pull-outs are designed to pull to the ends of the hammock suspension instead of being staked out. I know Shug did a review on the ridgerunner that shows in detail how the bugnet works.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven 11
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had the mod 4 zipper option done on my HH explorer and it works great, I also don't use the side tie outs either. hyoh Jim

Images
    I make my own hammocks out of Crinkle Tafetta Tablecloth, many colors available and for $15 dollars. So, I look at lots of pictures.

While checking out Dream Hammocks, I came across their Image Gallery and you can click on an image and see the order number with details. Nice!
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/PastProjects.html

Gives you the details and several pics. Some of the 4-Season's are interesting.

I had a Warbonnet XLC, and also still have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner, and a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. I reccomend the Trail Lair, or the bridge style Ridgerunner.
    Camping.jpg

HyperD.jpg

If you go with a Trail Lair, ask for the HyperD for your inner lining!

edit: One thing that is unique to the Trail Lair is the cat cut design for a better view than any I know of. The Ridgerunner bridge hammock naturally has the best view because of it's design, if that's important to you.
    Last edited by That Dude There; 07-17-2015 at 14:26.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    image.jpgYou might want to check out Dutch's new 10.5' Half-Wit Hammock. There are some reviews on the Dutchware sub-forum. Designed for backpacking. Comes with knotty mods at both ends.

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/half-wit-hammock.html
    ...... And Dutch's hammock needs only a 4' tall tree! Lol
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyCaddyGirl View Post
    The Woodsman X looks like a cool option but has anyone on this forum used it?
    I've used the Woodsman X quite a bit the last couple of years.
    I've got the DL version.
    Comparing it to the Hennessy Hyperlite Assym Zip, I much prefer the Woodsman X. Easier to get the mosquito net out of the way if you don't want/need it. Just unzip it and stow it in the net bag at the end of the hammock. Personally, I prefer to leave the net on, as it helps keeping the shape of the hammock.
    The lay is wonderfully flat, and the adjustable foot sag area works wonders. Took a few tries to get it dialed in, but once I got it where I wanted it, I haven't needed to change it again.
    For peace of mind regarding rainy days/nights in the hammock, I added some continuous loops and drip rings to the stock suspension system.
    Also, UK Hammocks has great customer service.
    I highly recommend the Woodsman X.

And if you don't trust my word for it, maybe you'd trust Dereks:
    http://theultimatehang.com/2013/09/w...ammock-review/

If you're seriously considering the Woodsman X, do take into account that it'll have to be shipped from the UK.
    It might add transport cost and maybe also customs fees to the price.

Hope you find your perfect hammock.

/ Karl
    Good judgement comes from experience - Experience comes from bad judgement

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner 10' 1.6 fabric is about 8 oz. you could go lighter on the fabric, bottom entry bugnet in nanoseeum custom made by Simply Light Designs 8 oz.. There you are less suspension about 1 pound. That's what I use no tieouts and if the bugnet isn't needed just remove it.

But in AZ you may be ideally located for Dutch's half wit with the half bugnet at $90. It has tieouts but you might want to ask Dutch how the bugnet works without them. I never used the tieouts in my Hennessy.

Harbor Freight cargo strap (15' yellow with stripes with spring loaded buckle) just a few ounces and under $5 a pair, love those myself. Simply break those pot metal buckles off and either loop the strap thru the loop or add a dutch clip and add a titanium cinch buckle or dutch buckle. Using a continuous loop on the hammock end channels really simplifies attachment to straps/suspension.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123