Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mosquitos problem

I go into the deep jungle of the Philippines once a year and always leave with mosquito bites on my shoulder and knee because those sections of my body lean against the mosquito net.

I tried creating a barrier with my hammock but they bite through it and sometimes my body slips over the hammock exposing my skin for the bugs to feast.

Is there a system or method to avoid this?

I have a Warbonnet traveler. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Discover the joys of permethrin. You can buy it on Amazon and it will kill just about any bug.

On the other hand, your setup sounds rather poor for mosquitoes, even without permethrin. I use a Fronkey-style bugnet (BIAS Nanobuginator), and have never come into contact with it. I used to have problems getting bit through my HH Expedition Asym Zip, but never with my Fronkey-style bugnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Discover the joys of permethrin. You can buy it on Amazon and it will kill just about any bug.

On the other hand, your setup sounds rather poor for mosquitoes, even without permethrin. I use a Fronkey-style bugnet (BIAS Nanobuginator), and have never come into contact with it. I used to have problems getting bit through my HH Expedition Asym Zip, but never with my Fronkey-style bugnet.
    I have the fronky style netting. Your hammock doesn't push against the net?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ninhsavestheday View Post
    I have the fronky style netting. Your hammock doesn't push against the net?
    Well, I use permethrin so I never have to worry about the hammock pushing up against the bugnet. Besides, I keep the bugnet loose and it just never touches the hammock (I also use an underquilt).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Having a gear-hammock hanging below helps keep them from your back-side as you sleep. My bugnetting that i made has a channel around the "skirt" through which i thread one inch nylon strap to add a little weight so it hangs nicely. This is also the opening into the netting through which i get into my hammock so it gives the opening a bit more durability to keep me from accidentally ripping out the seams while climbing in and out. The weight of the strapping ensures the netting stays tight against the side of the hammock. In this situation only the edge of my hammock actually contacts the netting meaning as long as i keep below that outer edge, I'm too far away for the mosquitos to reach. There's always the risk of exposing your skin to the mosquitos as you sleep, but for the most part I've subconsciously trained myself to not do it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    There are a couple of threads floating around on the subject but I can't seem to find them at the moment. The other alternative to a gear hammock is an underquilt protector like the ones from 2QZQ. That extra layer of loose fabric adds just a bit of warmth (if you need it) but more importantly weights practically nothing and provides a buffer between the bugs and your backside.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ditto on the Permathrin. Best stuff ever for clothing, nets, hammock material, quilts, etc.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I don't have one so I don't know, but is there a way to put pull outs on a fronkey style net and stake the sides out away from the hammock? Other than that or some kind of pole mod to space it out, I would go with the permethrin.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    OR, you can pull the hammock out with side tie-outs. That will get the width out there and the bug net away from you. I did this with a Fronkey-style Nano-Buginator. It requires that you burn a cigarette-size hole in the bug net to pass each tie-out through, which is exactly how I did mine. Lay in the hammock when you do it so that the aspect of the holes match the hammock when you are in it. You can reinforce the hole areas by sewing one or two layers of nano material before burning the hole. Permethrin treat hammock and net, but I never had a mosquito find their way through the holes before I treated mine. As an extra benefit I found that my hammock was more comfortable with the sides tied out. Good Luck.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I don't have one so I don't know, but is there a way to put pull outs on a fronkey style net and stake the sides out away from the hammock? Other than that or some kind of pole mod to space it out, I would go with the permethrin.
    I didn't do this on a Fronkey bug net but I did a pole mod on my HUG style bug net. I think it worked pretty good.

image.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast