WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    New River UQ, SBag
    Suspension
    Strap and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Power View Post
    I was surprised to see that most businesses here charge your credit card at ordering. Most places charge at shipping.
    Many cottage vendors are making items to order - so yeah, we're gonna hafta pay up front for what is basically a custom service. It shocked me, too, to have to wait TWO WHOLE WEEKS for an underquilt... but then I got over my Amazon Prime entitled self and just looked forward to receiving my quality product.

-T.
    Pas de victoire sans la guerre.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    It is possible to place an order on the Dream Hammock website and take up to 6 months to pay if your purchase is over $99.00. You can take up to 25 days for orders less than $99.00.

See the Paypal banner on this page for details.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html

Hope this helps.

A lot of good discussion here, and I'm sure there can be some middle ground -- PapaSmurf is already on the forefront.

I guess the point I'm confused about is when people say, "the money is tied up." I don't get that.

I can think of a scenario where you might well rather be earning interest on that money. But how much interest are you going to earn on $500 in a month?

Second, you need that money to buy something else in the meantime. In which case, the vendor is now producing a product based on money that you "might" have when the product is finished. If you need that money for something else, maybe you really can't afford the gear to begin with? And if you pay with a credit card, you're on 30 day terms, anyway - and you're generally earning cash back or points on that money.

Third, you're worried that the vendor will close doors or die -- possibly a legitimate concern, but typically your credit card will refund this money - though there may be some hoops.

In the end, I'm all for a deposit system, but I don't mind paying up front, and I don't feel like my money is tied up -- it was money I was going to spend anyway.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Orders

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    It is possible to place an order on the Dream Hammock website and take up to 6 months to pay if your purchase is over $99.00. You can take up to 25 days for orders less than $99.00.

See the Paypal banner on this page for details.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.html

Hope this helps.
    That's an excellent idea! PayPal offers this for every purchase over $99, regardless of seller. In fact, they often pair it with a special program ($10 off, etc.). The only drawback I see is that they don't extend the dispute period beyond 45 days after the purchase date. If they would extend it to 45 days beyond the pay-off date, this would be the perfect solution. Still the best middle-ground solution I've seen so far, though, as it doesn't add overhead/cost for the vendor.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have no problem of of paying up front for custom made gear. The longest I ever had to wait for a customer ordered item was from Enlighten Equipment a few years back when they had a sale on their former RevX TQs and they received so many orders I ended up waiting about 3 months to get the TQ ( which I like so much that I ordered another one ). EE did a great job of keeping me informed of the delays and progress. There is only one company on the forum I would like order from but that company has never returned any of my emails to them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    If I am ordering something's from a cottage vendor I have no problem paying up front. Most cottage vendors make stuff custom just the way you want it. Look at it this way would you want to stop having any say in what color, length, amount of down, with or with out side panel pulls, width and the list can go on and on? I do like the way some vendors keep a order status on the site so you can check on the progress of your order.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I treat cottage vendors very differently then I treat a chain store selling me a supply line from China. I do not mind at all paying up front. The only thing I expect up front in return is an honest estimate of what the delivery time will be.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladylysis View Post
    Many cottage vendors are making items to order - so yeah, we're gonna hafta pay up front for what is basically a custom service. It shocked me, too, to have to wait TWO WHOLE WEEKS for an underquilt... but then I got over my Amazon Prime entitled self and just looked forward to receiving my quality product.

-T.
    Sure vendors can conduct business how ever they like. And the norm for Hammock Forums Vendors isnt the same at other group sites. For example I have ordered custom car parts, from vendors that make pieces on order, but was billed when the item was shipped. I guess it comes down to what the group excepts as the norm and what the vendor can do for each customer.

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    Have not had the extra cash to order from any of the vendors who regularly post on this site, but am saving and eyeing some nice custom made products. I can understand the frustration of paying then sitting on your hands as you wait for your order to ship. However, in the end, it seems to me it would be worth it. Most of the "cottage vendors" do not have the space to store large amounts of materials, or large employee pools, that would allow them to churn out quick orders. I think this fact is one of the things you pay for. If I were paying the price, i would expect the quality, and gladly wait for delivery.
    From what I've seen, most of the vendors are willing to take the time to communicate with the customer. In fact several vendors offer advice In the diy section, which seems almost counterproductive to their business, but that's just the way they are i guess.
    Once again, i understand the original point of this post, and totally sympathize. I know that once I do pull the trigger and place a high$ custom order it's going to be like a 5year old waiting for Christmas morning, except I'm sure I'll get exactly what i wanted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234