Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

My Hammock tarp paired with a net tent. Thoughts?

I've gotten my wife into backpacking a bit. We took the kiddo out for 3 days on the AT in Virginia last week, and things generally went well. We hammocked the whole time, but my wife was unable to figure out how to comfortably sleep in a hammock. She wants a tent next time (shudder)...

I thought about building her a UL single layer tent, but then I had a crazy idea:

My primary tarp is a diy 11x10 silpoly flat tarp. Actual size is 10'9x9'6. I thought what if I put a large net tent under it? I think I could build a 6" high bathtub bottom that's a 5'x8'6 foot print, which would allow us to be side by side, and have the kiddo at our feet. The rest of it is just a 48" Aframe net. a big version of this: http://www.yamamountaingear.com/diy-bug-shelter-1-25/

I think I could even put the whole thing up just using two trek poles to pitch the tarp in an Aframe, and then tie off the net tent ridgeline to the tarp ridge line. I think the tent part will only weigh a little over 1lbs also, which means that the whole shelter would be just over 2lbs.

Am I nuts? (outside of not sleeping in a hammock obviously...)

net tent.pdf

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Looks like your design would work. Would recommend Tyvek for the bathtub bottom for abrasion resistance and waterproofness. If you go with this, let us know how it works out.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FLScouthanger View Post
    Looks like your design would work. Would recommend Tyvek for the bathtub bottom for abrasion resistance and waterproofness. If you go with this, let us know how it works out.
    I hadn't considered tyvec for the bottom... I was thinking silnylon or silpoly for the floor and a painters plastic ground cloth below. What's the best method to seal tyvec seams?

I am intrigued

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    I hadn't considered tyvec for the bottom... I was thinking silnylon or silpoly for the floor and a painters plastic ground cloth below. What's the best method to seal tyvec seams?

I am intrigued
    I made the mistake of picking up come waterproof cordura that is mor suited for a pack that I think would make for a great bathtub for a tent like you are talking about. I may end up going that route myself. I love the idea.

Hammock
    Various DIY
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Tyvek is actually not very abrasion-resistant. It's pretty puncture resistant but that's not quite the same thing. Tyvek is also reportedly less waterproof than coated nylon. Pretty much everyone making net tents uses silnylon (or cuben fiber) for the bathtub floor, so I'd go with the silnylon or silpoly.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MiriRose View Post
    Tyvek is actually not very abrasion-resistant. It's pretty puncture resistant but that's not quite the same thing. Tyvek is also reportedly less waterproof than coated nylon. Pretty much everyone making net tents uses silnylon (or cuben fiber) for the bathtub floor, so I'd go with the silnylon or silpoly.
    Thanks. Thats what I've been reading. Its definitely less water resistant. Thats why its "Breathable".

I'm doing silpoly, and probably doing a tyvek ground cloth. RSBTR has a new extraPU coated silpoly thats a little heavier and more waterproof. Unfortunately Kyle is sold out, because it'd be perfect! Argh!!

edit. I was mistaken on being sold out. YAY!
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 07-09-2015 at 20:13.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    FWIW, most silnylon we use for tarps is only rated to 1500 - 2000mm for hydrostatic head pressure (pressure required to penetrate the material).

Tyvek is rated around 1200-1300mm I believe.

When laying on the material, your body can easily apply more pressure than this, causing water to seep through the material. You'll either need to back the tub up with a ground sheet, or use a heavier coated material.

Oware sell's a 70D silnylon which should be more durable, and also has a 0.5oz/sqyrd coating applied. I inquired about it's hydrostatic head rating a while ago and he informed me it is rated at 3500mm.

http://shop.bivysack.com/Fabric-Sili...-Fab70dSil.htm

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I used 1443R Tyvek for a bug bivy floor and I regret not using silnylon instead. It soaks through pretty quickly and is hard to clean. I use a polycro ground sheet under it now.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    FWIW, most silnylon we use for tarps is only rated to 1500 - 2000mm for hydrostatic head pressure (pressure required to penetrate the material).

Tyvek is rated around 1200-1300mm I believe.

When laying on the material, your body can easily apply more pressure than this, causing water to seep through the material. You'll either need to back the tub up with a ground sheet, or use a heavier coated material.

Oware sell's a 70D silnylon which should be more durable, and also has a 0.5oz/sqyrd coating applied. I inquired about it's hydrostatic head rating a while ago and he informed me it is rated at 3500mm.

http://shop.bivysack.com/Fabric-Sili...-Fab70dSil.htm
    I actually went with RSBTRs new silpoly PU4000. It's hydrostatic head is 4000mm at only 1.4oz. I'm hoping that

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast