WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

How do you finish off the bungee cord when making poles for tarp pull-outs

Started my next DIY project today - making my own tent poles to spread the tarp side pullouts.

After entertaining the family with my step-by-step discoveries as I built my first tent pole , the finale was cutting the bungee cord half the length of the pole (54" pole, .340 size), - as suggested by QuestOutfitters, then trying to feed a 27 inch bungee cord down 54 inches of tent pole.

I'm guessing the "right" way is to pretend I have an unlimited supply of bungee cord (I can always get more from QuestOutfitters) and cut it a little longer than the full pole length. Attaching one tip end is easy enough. then I feed it though all the pole sections and through the hole in my #1420 end tip. But how do I get that last tip in the pole and have the bungee cord under the right tension?

I can kind of see how I could pull on the bungee, stretching it out, then while it is stretched out, tie a knot in it (may need extra hands), then feed that knot (cord still under tension) back into the pole section, followed by the end cap.

I can imagine a "jig" with clamps that would hold the cord under tension so my hands could tie knots and feel it where it needs to go. But if it just me, with two hands and two feet (I did use my toes to hold the bungee in one attempt), is it possible to finish of a pole with three sections and #1420's on each end?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Paul

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

How do you finish off the bungee cord when making poles for tarp pull-outs

When I've fixed tent poles at work, I don't cut the shock cord at all until it's fed through all of the poles. Tie off one end, then pull the cord out on the other end until you get the tension you want. It doesn't have to be perfect. Also, you can experiment different tensions by tying a knot on a bight and not have to cut cord. Once you figure out how long you need it you can cut it and tie your knot. If you're worried about letting go and losing the cord in to the poles you could grab the cord with vice grips (locking pliers) before you cut and that'll keep the cord from being able to get sucked in.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Homebrew
    Why not just start with a long piece, measure out how much you want in the pole, mark it with a marker, then feed into the tube with the knot on one end, pull till you see the mark, clamp with vice grips, and tie knot at mark?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you for the two replies. I will try them in my next process. I came to ksbcrocks method after having a talk with myself and accepting that it is okay to throw away 15 cents worth of bungee cord. But I don't even have to throw it away because I can use the scrap to make tarp tensioning loops.

This is my process now .... I feed the bungee (from my coiled supply - consider it infinitely long [but it is a bit shorter than that]) through all the sections then though the hole in one end tip, then tie an overhand knot. I pull the knot tight. Now the goal is to feed that knot back into the pipe so two lines (original and one with a knot) are going in the pipe with the tip on the loop that was made when I put the knot end back inside. In order to push the knot in, I have to make the first line as small as possible so I separate the last pipe section from the proceeding one and wrap the exposed bungee cord around my toe to hold it. The I tug on that same cord coming out of the pipe to make it small (using one hand) and jam the knot end in the pipe (using the other hand). It's bit of a dance but by tightening and relaxing the cord tension I can get the friction of the original cord to help pull the knot in. Once the knot is in, I just have the tip on the loop that was formed and I push it in. Note that I couldn't get it to fit if I tried to do it with the knot at the tip's side; the knot has to go in first. Once the tip is in, I pull on the bungee coming out the other end of the pipe section and snug everything up at that end.

Now I go to the other end and cut the bungee so there is about 5 inches sticking out - nothing is under tension at this point. I push the five inches through the hole on the second tip and holding a cloth tape measure on the bungee just where it goes into the pipe, I pull until I get the desired length. I pinch it there and tie an overhand knot at that end so it is knot, end tip, pipe section, and cut off the excess bungee. That is my scrap piece to use as a tarp tensioner later.

Now, like I did on the first side, I pull some more to make the bungee going through that section skinny. I push the knot end into the pipe, forming a loop that holds the end tip. I use the same, "Toe holds the bungee on the other end of the pipe - yes, vise grips would be more elegent at this point in the process - one hand pulls tension, the other hand jams the knot" dance.

Once the knot is in, I push in the end tip and again pull everything snug on by pulling on the cord coming out if that pipe section.

Went smoother on the second attempt at making a pole and now I have two 54" shock corded .340 easton poles to use with the panel pulls on my tarp.

I didn't realize I needed a double male section in the middle with two plain pipes on each end - pipes that would be fitted with end tips. Fortunately, I bought the set that was listed on eBay for $17. It had a double male 145 degree piece - in fact two of them per pole and two poles per package. Each of those poles could make two 54" poles. So for about $25 total for that I have two sets of two 54" poles for panel pull outs. The set up is one 9 inch section (I cut an 18 inch section in two), one 18 inch section, a 2 inch center piece, then another 18 inches section and 9 inches section. In the future, with the double male center section, I can do away with the 145 degree piece and have three 18" sections.

My kayaking destination is showing 60% chance of shower on six of the eight days I'll be out there - if my paddling partner still wants to go. So these panel poles will come in handy.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-10-2015 at 01:08.

Why not build a wooden shelter from this survival gear site. I gave up on hammocks a long time ago. The reason being is I would get into situations were I was completely rained out with no tents. I don't use tents because every since I was younger my dad would show me that the woods was about complete nature. Using your surrounding that maybe extreme. My point being is you should just build a wooden shelter. They hold longer and you don't have to dissemble after done.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyCheckley View Post
    Why not build a wooden shelter from this survival gear site. I gave up on hammocks a long time ago.
    The solution offered in your post is off topic and comes across as proselytizing. The OP is sincerely asking for a solution to their specific problem, not the general problem of forest shelter.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    You might try tying a lark's head knot with a length of thin, "non-stretchy" line to the bungee. (Mason's line, or braided fishing line) If your knot on the bungee is still small enough to slide up and down the tent pole tubing, then you can use that to hold it while you make your adjustments, then pull it back to that point, and untie it. Hard to explain, but like the vise grip method, but it would allow you to release some of the tension on the shock cord/bungee.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

• + New Posts