Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeterbeeter Pro

Best Budget Tarp for Beginner?

Hello,

Just getting started with my hammock gear. I purchased a GT skeeterbeeter pro. I'm looking at tarps and have done a good bit of reading on here. I think they Kelty Noah might be a good option. Two questions--

-Do I go for the 9 or 12 Kelty? I'll be doing short pack trips (2-3 days) and car camping.
    -Any options that would be better than the Kelty in a similar price point?

So excited to get out there and hang! Thanks in advance for your help.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I think the Noah is the way to go. Get the Noah 12. The 12 is nice and big and provides perfect coverage. Its not a light tarp but its built like a tank.

I loved mine until I decided to go lighter and got my Warbonnet Superfly.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dual
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    modded sleepingbag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I picked up the Noah 12 a month or so ago and just got back from hanging under it for a week with some pretty wild storms. Kept me dry to the bone and is extremely versatile. I give it

As for your questions:

-Personally I would go 12 over 9

-I don't know of another with a similar price point other than a ridgeline with a plastic tarp from wally world. (which works great for some folks too)
    -Kevin

Famous last words: "Hey guys, y'all put down your beer and watch this!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd take the Kelty 12 over the 9. I've never seen the Kelty 12 pitched tautly; it always seems to be a bit loose, and a user was recently complaining about getting wet. However, I haven't heard much of that.

Another option is the HH Hex - not as much coverage but plenty big.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I've always been an advocate for cheaper gear that works, while saving for the more expensive stuff. If you think a Kelty tarp is what you will use for a long time, it may be worth it. But if you are just exploring the world of hammock camping, and looking for a cheap option before committing more money, I think you're better off looking at cheaper, somewhat disposable alternatives.

A blue poly tarp will work perfect for you, and save you about $40-$50 over the Kelty tarps. If you decide you want to pursue this hobby further, then save for the more expensive, lighter weight tarps.

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    I really like my Chinook tarp for the price. I have used mine about 10 nights with no problems, and I think it is a little lighter weight (~24 oz) than the Noah.

http://www.amazon.com/Chinook-Green-...GS0NP3VW1XXGW8

http://www.amazon.com/Chinook-Tarp-S...s=chinook+tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I've always been an advocate for cheaper gear that works, while saving for the more expensive stuff. If you think a Kelty tarp is what you will use for a long time, it may be worth it. But if you are just exploring the world of hammock camping, and looking for a cheap option before committing more money, I think you're better off looking at cheaper, somewhat disposable alternatives.

A blue poly tarp will work perfect for you, and save you about $40-$50 over the Kelty tarps. If you decide you want to pursue this hobby further, then save for the more expensive, lighter weight tarps.
    will you be hiking with it?? if so I would take the above advice and spend as little as possible to get something to stay protected or if money isn't an issue go ahead and make weight one of your criteria now.

I have a SBP as my everyday hammock in the house and I love it and take it down for trips but I got a Yukon that is similar in size and weighs only ten ounces and I really like the way it lays as well and would recommend it to anyone looking for a hiking rig.

I started with a Hennessy Hex as it was an free upgrade when I bought my explorer. It's bombproof. My son (12 at the time) wanted to get a hammock so I moved him into the Hennessy Hex and I bought a smaller tarp. It's a very forgiving tarp and it does provide lot of coverage.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    If you go with a blue poly tarp, a few folks on the forum have modified them. Search the threads for "blue poly hex tarp" and you should find some ideas.

Here's one I found:
    DIY Blue Poly Hex Cat Cut Tarp https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=100301
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Consider what the weather will be like. For nice weather, which is most of the time, I take a smaller tarp (9x9 , but could be smaller). For rain I take a larger tarp (12x12). I don't do much in the snow, but I hear that side pullouts and doors are handy at that point.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast