Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Okay, the Ember eval is on for 9/10 Jan @ my place.

If anyone else is so inclined, the welcome tree is out.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    ENO Ember and Bag
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies strap

Psuedo test

So, the tenth turned out to be nearly coldest night of the year here. I'm in Oklahoma and we're getting record cold and snow this year.

Oldgringo and I were planning a hang at his place, but ultimately we decided it was too cold for our liking an to rain check (snow) for another night. Even bundled up in a KAQ, teens to single digit cold plus a negative wind chill didn't sound like a good plan to oldgringo, let alone a fair test of the ember for me.

I'm still intent on giving a proper review, but for the time being let me tide those interested over with the basic details.

The ember unpacked is about 7' long and 3' wide/deep. I'll get exact measurements when I'm at home later today.
    As advertised it uses synthetic insulation but the loft is pretty thin. I found this disconcerting at first but after a few daytime tests I was impressed at how warm it was. Then again, it could be me. I'll wait for the meeting with oldgringo to give a proper comparison.

The silnylon IS on the outside. Why they did this, against popular convention is beyond me. Additionally it's NOT reversible (well at least not by design) because the ends of the quilt are re-enforced and sewn together in a way that makes reversing the quilt a hack and likely less functional. The only reason I can think of that would make this a good idea is to prevent frost and dew from getting into the hammock from the outside as well as some wind protection. We'll have to see how much of my vapor gets stuck inside in a full test. So far I haven't had any issues. I'm thinking if I do though a cheap bivy cover on the inside might do wonders.

A plus is that it's designed very much like a pea pod. There are clips and set of bungies that run the length of the top through loops in a way that allows you to clip and bungie the quilt around you. I found this VERY useful and a pretty smart innovation. The upside is that there's not much adjustment necessary beyond just getting it on the hammock. As long as you don't over-stretch the bungie it pulls just enough to keep the quilt fitting well around the hammock. In this configuration it nearly completely enclosed me. Though I don't see that it would completely eliminate the need for a top quilt. I can, however, see a world where you can have a very small/light top quilt if you're willing to put up with the little cold spots on top. I've already thought of ways to modify the ember with a flap that would lay over you so that after the bungie is clipped the ember plus it's flap mod would completely enclose you.

I did get the chance, as I mentioned, to get in a few daytime hangs. The intent was really just to get everything adjusted before the hang/review with oldgringo but I found myself so comfortable in the hammock that I stayed and took a nap before getting out and tearing down. I imagine that though the temp outside was in the mid teens (12-15) I'd probably put the temp rating for my setup somewhere around freezing. Both days were clear and sunny and I didn't use a tarp. I think the sunshine helped a bit.
    Getting in the sucker was really the toughest part. I found it easier to clip a few of the bungies on the "foot" side ahead of time and then clip the remaining bungies once I was inside.

The first hang was without a bag. That day it was about 30 and I used my larger hammock bliss double hammock. The ember isn't quite long enough to completely enclose the length of either of my hammocks so I'm thinking of using some looped amsteel to bundle the ends of the hammock a bit more so the ember doesn't have to stretch so much to enclose it. Anyway, that day I found the ember comfortable enough on it's own. I was wearing blue jeans, wool socks, and a sweater in the hammock, no other covering of any sort. I didn't notice any cold spots. I like the bungie idea alot. Once clipped the bungie stretches and saggs in a way that keeps the uq fit really well.

Anyhow, the next hang was on this past Saturday at my in-laws house. Though it was slated to get into the single digits that night during the day it was in the teens with little to no wind. Occasional gusts but nothing spectacular. This time I was wearing fleece pants, wool socks, blue jeans, and a sweater. I packed in my 20 degree wal-mart mummy bag and my smaller hammock. Getting in the second time was a bit simpler, but I still struggled a bit at first to get the bag sorted out under the clipped quilt. My bag is a little short for me so once I was all in and wrapped up I had to do some inch-worms to try to get a bit more slack to my feet which were pressing a cold spot in toe of the bag. The underquilt was perfect when I was on my back. I tried to switch to side sleeping and I felt a cold spot for the first time on my knees and in the leg area. Though it was noticably cooler than the rest of the setup I still didn't have a hard time dozing off for about an hour and I have to honestly admit that I was pretty surprised at how comfortable I was despite the temperature.

At this point I'm a little wary of my own opinions to be honest. Those were cold days and I expected more trouble than I had. Oldgringo and I have planned a raincheck hang and at that point I plan to give a much better review and comparison with the KAQ. Hopefully in bringing the two together in the same review ya'll can get a better idea of how well the ember does it's job.

As for me. I've already decided it'll be far more than good enough for the hanging I do. I'm fairly confident that it'll make it to 45ish on it's own and 30 with a comfortable bag. I think the teens are doable with a better (longer) bag and perhaps a small pad. For our area 3-season gets to freezing, rarely colder. Packed on it's own with a hammock it's not heavy enough for me to raise a fuss about but with a big bag things start to get a little heavy. I imagine the only better option is better equipment and I'm curious as to how heavy a KAQ 0 degree winter setup is with bag and all. If it's less than two pounds difference I can see the arguement in getting an aftermarket ember over a KAQ for our temp range (where it's rarely that cold). If it's much more than that I don't think I'd reccomend the ember for any serious winter trips.
    Last edited by attrezzo; 01-11-2010 at 10:10.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks for the initial review. Bummer you didn't get the chance to overnight, but I'm sure that report will be coming soon. Just remember the first law of Hammock Forums (which I was just recently reminded of); if there aren't pictures, it didn't happen.

Looking forward to hearing more.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Mine is in and I plan on a test tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it works out for me.
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great review...thanks for posting.

I'm definitely in hearing the before-and-immediately-after weights for an overnight hang at just above them temp limit.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Looked at the Ember and went with KAQ. There wasn't enough info on the product. Not risking the cold or cash on it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by babelfish5 View Post
    Looked at the Ember and went with KAQ.
    Good choice!

Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Camo Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing

Ember is heavy?

Hey guys and gals,

My first post here, but I have been lurking for a little while now. I have been doing some research on the Ember and am thinking about getting one. I have read multiple posting about how heavy this thing is and how it is a monster. Maybe I am missing something, but the KAQ that everyone recommends is only 3 Oz. lighter (long version). I understand that it is indeed heavier, but I hardly consider 3 Oz. a deal breaker.

Anyone else have experience with the Ember?

WOU42

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch
    My husband Rook took the ember and a single nest down in the 30s, and breezy winds, 3 weekends ago. He did indeed bring an emergency blanket and my GG thinlite pad 20" wide and about 5' long for added insulation. I cannot remember if he used one or both with the ember. I will have to get him to post on this thread his findings.

I do know that he can connect the shock cord running along the length of the ember to the shock cord on the other side with s-beaners creating a "pea Pod" experience.

I vaguely remember him saying something about feet cold due to sweating (too hot).

It does pack bulky though...like my clark. It worked for him though.

I'll get him to post something here about it.
    It's not the pace....it's the experience.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    Eno, by default
    Tarp
    Modified Lair
    Insulation
    Bags and Pads
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Ember has its moments

Noticed all these posts about the Ember and thought i'd weigh in...
    have spent some time checking out the embers features in person and am confident it's well made and will suffice for pushing the edges of a season for the fair weather hammock user. they did not indicate a temp rating, but Adam at ENO indicated he had success around the freezing mark. there are many variable involoved in making any insualtion more or less functional. for example i have used my pad, down bag and down jacket ot get in the low twenties, no underquilt needed. wind moisture, tarp coverage etc., all palyed a part. getting down further you all have demonstrated can be done, but... requires more hammock specific gear... and know how.

back to the Ember. IMHO having not slept out in one yet, is that it is a good, mainstream production solution for users not fully indoctrinated to the world of hammock camping, and unwilling to DIY or pay higher cost for some (maybe most) cottage industry TQ/UQ. if anything it is introducing a non user ti the potential of getting off the ground for good.

one last comment and i'll quit rambling...
    the top edge is bungee that bunches it up more like a taco than a pea pod. when hanging in it (inside only so far) it closes up pretty well. with good clothing and a good TQ, or light SB i think it could do exactly what Adam indicated.

holler if there are more questions, or to rebut my observations. i welcome the opportunity to discuss more UQ thoughts, as i have only the Ember that i have had my hands on.
    until such time...

rbaxter

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast