Thread: Pictured rocks

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images

Pictured rocks

Can anyone recommend some campgrounds and outfitters in the pictured rocks area? A friend of mine and I will be there the second week of august, I hang, she doesn't. We would like to kayak the pictured rocks area. Both of us are experienced paddlers, is a guided trip necessary or can we go on our own? We're used to paddling Lake Superior
    Debi

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I recommend using the backcountry campgrounds in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. There are several and most of them have parking lots within less than a mile. They are all close to the lake, so are also accessible by water. Also if you are experienced paddling in Lake Superior you should be fine, just be aware that the cliiffs may make the water more choppy than you are used to. It has been several years, but when I backpacked Pictured Rocks there were several people who paddled it. Check out the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore website for info on backcountry permits and info on kayaking.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    Also, be aware that you absolutely need a reservation to get a campsite during peak season up there. We went /w our own kayaks. Didn't need a tour guide, however, we overheard from a tour group about a shipwreck there and got to see it. They also haul your kayak up and down from the parking lot, which might be worth the money by itself! The day we went, the water was extremely calm, enough that our small dog hung out on the bow of the kayak instead of the cockpit.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. Will likely stay in one of the state parks close by. Getting totally excited for this trip!
    Debi

Banned
    Hammock
    camo ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY BIGCamo winter
    Insulation
    Diy primalofts
    Suspension
    straps, spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by adventuregirl View Post
    I recommend using the backcountry campgrounds in the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. There are several and most of them have parking lots within less than a mile. They are all close to the lake, so are also accessible by water. Also if you are experienced paddling in Lake Superior you should be fine, just be aware that the cliiffs may make the water more choppy than you are used to. It has been several years, but when I backpacked Pictured Rocks there were several people who paddled it. Check out the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore website for info on backcountry permits and info on kayaking.
    They are so nice and so many unsued spots. We were there for 2 days in july last summer. It was epic trip to canada

Just tossing this option out there: check out Grand Island in Munising Bay. It's not too far of a paddle out in the bay, has views of PIRO and has the same geological features. You don't have to deal with any reservation system and there are a few kayak only sites, plus a number of other sites on the island. Great hanging options too.

http://www.grandislandup.com

• + New Posts