Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Struggling to get comfy in frontline.

I am struggling to get comfy in my frontline hammock. If i hang it like DD sugests i get a "ridge" in the middle that hurts my back and if hang it with sag it just presses against my shoulders and i cant really get a diagonal lay.

I am 6 feet 0,5 inches (184 cm) and 251 pounds (114 kg). I also have quite wide shoulders and feel that maybe the frontline is to narrow for me. I am thinking about switching to a Hennessy Explorer deluxe. Could that fit me better? Or have i missed something?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Typically, the tighter the hammock is strung, the more likely to have shoulder squeeze. How long is the hammock?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    My first hammock was a Frontline. When hung tight like recommended by DD I got a very pronounced ridge down the middle. But the ridge on mine was more from the the hips towards the feet. Maybe if you hung the foot end higher the ridge would move away from your back some. Hanging looser lessened the ridge in mine a little bit and laying diagonally as much as I could let me put my legs on one side of the ridge and helped with the shoulder squeeze somewhat. But you are right - there is not much room for a diagonal lay. After trying a few other hammocks I finally ended up with a bridge hammock and finally found comfort.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB BB & DH Nighthawk
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    I have several dd hammocks and find them all too small and not very comfortable for a good night sleep. They do fine as a daytime 'play' hammock. I've upgraded to larger (much more expensive) hammocks and it was a huge difference.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock ultralight zip
    Tarp
    Camo 11x8.5 Cuben
    Insulation
    KCHO 3/4 UQ
    munckmb out of interest what larger and more expensive hammock have you upgraded too? i personly almost got a DD hammock but decided they are quit expensive for what they are and also a bit too heavy so i went with a Hennessy Hammock instead

Hammock
    WB BB & DH Nighthawk
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    My wife and I now use a Warbonnet Blackbird and Dream Hammock NightHawk. I prefer the larger NightHawk but miss the Blackbird's storage shelf ;-) I also use a DD underblanket which works fine. However, a nice down UQ is on the wishlist...

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fekki View Post
    I am struggling to get comfy in my frontline hammock. If i hang it like DD sugests i get a "ridge" in the middle that hurts my back and if hang it with sag it just presses against my shoulders and i cant really get a diagonal lay.

I am 6 feet 0,5 inches (184 cm) and 251 pounds (114 kg). I also have quite wide shoulders and feel that maybe the frontline is to narrow for me. I am thinking about switching to a Hennessy Explorer deluxe. Could that fit me better? Or have i missed something?
    IMO, You need a longer hammock.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet XL
    I am a bit worried now. I had pretty much narrowed my search down to two Hammocks and then decided to buy the frontline but now I am thinking it might not be as good as I first thought.

I really don't have the money to make a mistake

paul

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Get 11 gathered end made by cottage vendors. This will reduce if not eliminate shoulder squeeze and calf ridge line pressure. Go to a hang in your area and try out different rigs.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    I have BlackBird, Dream hammock 11", and few others. But I'm happy with my DD Superlight Jungle, which is shorter than Frontline. And I'm 193 cm and weight is 126 kg. So I'm much bigger than you, in much smaller hammock. And I'm very happy!

- Diagonal is overrated. Similar to Switchback I lay without any diagonal.
    - My feet are upper than my torso
    - I use Exped LW 9 or Thermarest Xtherm large pads. (But with SwitchBack I was also happy with Uq.)
    - I hang bit tighter than diagonal Hammocks, but not over tight as some suggest. Feet up is more important.

Side lay is better than any of my other hammocks - weird isn't it? (Normally I lay on my back and usually do not move much)
    Last edited by voivalin; 09-03-2015 at 12:31.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast