Tarp
    Davidjek
    Insulation
    Philippines
    Suspension
    Davidjek

Single vs. Double layered

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to hammock camping. Been a ground camper. On my last excursion, I took my girlfriend. She said she barely slept because sleeping on the ground killed her back. So the next night, we slept in my Roo that I carry just for lounging around camp. She woke up and had a great day. So that sold me.

I digress. My question concerns mosquitos. I know mosquitos can bite through a single layered hammock. But a double-layered one is heavier. Also, I mainly summer/autumn camp so would a double layered get too hot. Are these the only pros and cons? Also, is there anyway to overcome the cons of the two types of hammocks.

Also, are integrated bugnets or separate bugnets preferred?

Oh and also, If you have a ridgeline on a hammock - to get consistent sag - is it okay to hang a tarp on that?

Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The only reason for a double-layer hammock is if you are committed to pads. Underquilts are much better. However, if you are committed to pads, then permethrin will be infinitely better for summer camping.

It's been so long since I tried a hammock without a ridgeline that I don't remember what it's like. It's definitely not something I would encourage.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I only use single layer hammocks and live in Minnesota and have never been bitten through my hammock. Normally I have a UQ under it for insulation. In the infancy to hammocks used pads so be a tough skeeter to bite through that.
    Spraying the hammock with permetharin has worked for me as well in high bug season up here.
    Intergrated bugnet is my preference. My Warbonet XLC Blackbird has the bug netting well up and off my face which I just truly appreciate. Add on bugnets have your head pretty much pushed against them in most cases.
    I have flopped my tarp over my hammock ridgline a couple of times but it was not ideal Less space and confining. And stale. Use a seperate ridgeline for tarps.
    If you like, I made Hammock How To videos and Tarp Tutorials too. Check here...https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery They are in my playlists.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The only reason for a double-layer hammock is if you are committed to pads.
    It also highly depends on how much weight you want to fit in the hammock as well. I'm a big guy, and like a firmer hammock, so a double layer hammock is good for me in those regards. My single layer 1.6's also feel ok (those I use for non-car camping), but I definitely notice them sagging more (even with fabrics that are advertised as having nearly no stretch).

Also, if you're going to make it a point to sleep two people in a hammock (which most people don't find comfortable YMMV) a double layer may be good in that regard as well.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I just made my daughter a double layer and it is great with a pad. Using a pad with a single layer drove me nuts. However, for my next hammock I am going to make a single layer with an UQ.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There is of course another reason for double layer hammocks.....They can look pretty cool

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Double layer is a bit heavier but I went with a double as I will be doing an AT thru hike. I wanted the extra toughness, I use a heat reflector between the layers in the cold months. If I do have to go to ground I feel the double layer is better for that. Stands to reason that a double layer would be hotter than a single but I have never noticed it. I still get cool in the mornings. But, I went straight from tent camping to a hammock. Tent camping was hot in the summer.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I use a pad in the 1.1DL hammock in warmer months and a 1.9 DL with an UQ in the winter months but I use a DL everytime. I find the double layer to be a firmer lay which I enjoy. They can be a bit warmer but I found by using the 1.1 DL it is completely comfortable even in warmer temps. I weigh about 220 these days and am never concerned about either hammock holding up to long term use and abuse. i used a single layer for a few years with much comfort until I found the world of Double layer hammocks. What a difference!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The only reason for a double-layer hammock is if you are committed to pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    It also highly depends on how much weight you want to fit in the hammock as well. I'm a big guy, and like a firmer hammock, so a double layer hammock is good for me in those regards. My single layer 1.6's also feel ok (those I use for non-car camping), but I definitely notice them sagging more (even with fabrics that are advertised as having nearly no stretch).

Also, if you're going to make it a point to sleep two people in a hammock (which most people don't find comfortable YMMV) a double layer may be good in that regard as well.
    Yah, and some folks think a double layer keeps skeeters from biting through. Its one of the selling points of Hennessy Double layers.

I was unsure myself so I bought both a single layer (1.6) and a double layer (1.3) and returned the single layer. For me (6'1", 215) the single layer had too much stretch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast