Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG phoenix uq/tq
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Need a flatter lay

Hey everyone, I guess im relatively new been hammock camping about a year now. Right now i have an ENO i get a decent lay in it but trying to decide what would be the best route for my next hammock. I've been looking into dutch and wilderness logics. I'm 5'9 and kind of stocky so I get some shoulder squeeze, just let me know yall's suggestions.

Images
    An 11' hammock is ideal for comfort. Any cottage vendor around here will take care of you, it's all just preference. To see if the length works out for you just take a piece of fabric that long, or you can buy a tablecloth and turn it into a hammock (http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/ta...shes-s/132.htm) for cheap. If that doesn't work look into bridge hammocks. That's what I sleep in, I prefer it over a gathered end to sleep overnite in.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    All of the cottage vendors make great hammocks, so whatever you decide on I'm sure you will be happy.
    With that said, most people prefer an 11' hammock.
    Here is a photo of me in one of my hammocks. For reference I'm 6'0" and about 225.
    hammock.jpg

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Find the nearest group hang and attend even if it just to visit. There you will be able to check out a variety of hammocks ( and other gear ) and if you ask nice, the owners will probably let you get in the hammock and see how it fits.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I can vouch for the Wilderness Logics Night Owl, its 11' I'm 6'3 and it rocks.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc 20 + Bur 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Razorsharp, I purchased a BBXLC, sight unseen, for the same reasons you described. My ENO was great, but its definitely not ideal for stocky guys. So far I have found that its vastly more roomy the design allows for much more room width wise. Even my wife, who is 5'0" 120lbs, found it to be much more roomy.

In the end, I would suggest finding something in an 11ft length with a design that allows for more width, such as the BBXLC.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp1109 View Post
    ... I've been looking into dutch and wilderness logics. ....
    You are on the right path. I also started with an ENO. I now own a LiteOwl and a few Dutch Netless hammocks. Any of these will provide you an amazingly comfortable night's sleep or the most refreshing afternoon nap ever.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG phoenix uq/tq
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    thanks everyone for the help

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I also started with an ENO DN. When it came time to "upgrade" I actually purchased both a WL Lite Owl and a Dutch PolyD. Both are 11' hammocks, which I highly recommend. Your experience may vary slightly from mine but after testing out the Dutch PolyD first, I was somewhat disappointed in my Lite Owl. Make no mistake, it was WAY more comfortable than my ENO but I noticed a slight calf ridge in the Lite Owl that wasn't there on the PolyD. Since I paid more for the Lite Owl (although it did come with whoopies) I was a bit disappointed. I've since undone the whipping on the Lite Owl and just run continuous loops through the end channels and that helped a bit. I now alternate back and forth but the PolyD is still a bit more comfortable to me but maybe that's because I prefer the low stretch fabric. My PolyD weighs in at 11 Oz. including stuff sack, continuous loops, a ridgeline and the Knotty Mod I added to it after seeing how fabulous it was on the Lite Owl (I believe Dutch now offers this as an add on at the point of purchase). It also compresses to about the size of an apple so this ends up being my backpacking hammock every time. The Lite Owl weighs in at 19.45 Oz. including CL's, Ridgeline and stuff sack but it doesn't compress down to nearly as small a package as the Dutch PolyD (though it's still smaller than my ENO DN).

Comparing the two side by you can clearly see that the Lite Owl oozes quality craftsmanship. The stitching is some of the best I've seen. The stitching on my PolyD leaves something to be desired, though it's better than I would have done DIY, which I considered, and I have no doubts it will hold my 205 lb. 6'1" frame off the ground so it's not that big of an issue. The Dutch stitching issues may be due in part to PolyD material being tougher to sew, but I'm no expert here so it's only speculation on my part.

I honestly think you'd be happy with either hammock, or others from the awesome vendors on this forum. It comes down to what you want most out of the hammock, lightweight, bulk, durability, 2 layers vs. 1 for pad use or additional bug protection, etc. Good luck with your decision.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Started with the Eno DN last November as well....now I have 2 SLD DL 11' Hammocks and a WB Ridge Runner Bridge Hammock...Oh yeah and 3 rain flys.. go to Dutch or Simply Light Designs you won't be disappointed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast