Tarp
    MWG Monsterfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin,Flight
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

How much room is needed?

Hello All,
    I am a noobie to hammocks. I have a WBBH XLC on order. I am wondering how much room does a hammock, tarp under and top quilts take up in a backpack. I am looking at picking up a new backpack. And I am just not sure of what size pack I will need for a 2-4 day outing.

If anyone out there could give me a little bit of an idea of how much volume the camping hammock and above mentioned equipment will take up in a pack. I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
    Alaskan Hanger

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A lot depends upon the specific tarp and quilts you'll be getting (or have) and how much $$ you're willing to spend on a pack but here goes: The hammock in its stuff sack is about the size of a large thermos; warm weather full-sized quilts (40F or 50F) in their stuff sacks are each about half the size as the hammock; and a tarp in its stuff sack will be about 50% bigger than the quilts.

I carry a ULA Ohm 2.0 backpack (63L) and my DH Thunderbird Hammock (about the same size as your XLC) and quilts take up about a ¼ to ⅓ of the volume of the main compartment depending upon how much I compress the stuff while packing. My tarp gets carried on the outside of the pack in the large mesh pocket in the front. The Ohm is plenty large enough for me for trips up to 7 days in warmer weather (late spring, summer, early autumn). If you plan on doing a lot of winter camping, as your screenname suggests, you'll need a larger pack to accomodate the larger quilts and clothing.

I can't recommend ULA enough. They make fabulous packs but they are a bit spendy. I'm sure others will chime in with pack recommendations but you can't go wrong with ULA.

Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 07-04-2015 at 08:12.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    The combination of tarp and hammock will take up a bit more space than a one man bivy or small tent, without the need for poles, you quilts about 1 1/2 times what a similarly rated and constructed sleeping bag; down quilts will compress more than synthetics will. You're not adding too much more bulk to your pack.

I designed a pack specifically for my hammocks and had Chris Zimmer at Zimmerbuilt make it for me:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/hammock-pack---vining.html

I had it made a bit over two years ago, and back then it came out to about $50 more than the ULA that trail runner linked to. There are two long pockets on each side of the pack, one mesh for the tarp and one water resistant for the hammock, and there's a full width and length pocket on the back for my synthetic quilts, which gives me about 2150 cu inches in the roll top ruck.

The idea behind the pack is that the hammock and tarp are "linear" items, so they pack in a linear fashion. I'll pack my hammock into its pocket head end first with the suspension and tree straps attached and just stuff it down until the foot end suspension and straps are at the top, and the tarp the same way. When I get to where I'm camping I place the hammock at the base of the tree where the foot end goes, tie on, then walk the pack over to the other tree.

Chris has made a bunch of these and has a couple on his site that took the concept a bit further. The next one I get will be the Hammock Pack Bowdine which adds water bottle pockets:

http://www.zimmerbuilt.com/hammock-pack---bowdine.html

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You will be glad to have the comfort and such if hammocks become your mainstay. Big difference in hiking well rested.
    All loads vary a bit depending on your selected hammock, tarp, TQ, UQ and accoutrements.
    I use a ULA OHM for 90% of my backpacking and can get a lot in there with still what I consider a light comfort old man load.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I can get my entire 3-season stuff: WBBB, HG20 degree incubator& burrow & either my Z-packs cuben tarp w/doors or my Superfly in a 45 liter pack, along with a couple days of food, clothes and other misc gear. Those down quilts compress very nicely.

So, a 60 liter pack should fit everything very nicely with some wiggle room.

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Granite Gear Crown 60L pack, and I line the bottom with a trash compressor bag, then stuff my quilts, hammock and clothes in there. It takes up about 1/3 of the pack. If space is really an issue I can put both quilts in a compression sack to try and conserve space.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ
    I like 50 to 65 liter packs. That will take care of most all your trips. Its all up to you what else you pack or dont pack. Lots of packs out there in that size range.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swink1 View Post
    I like 50 to 65 liter packs. That will take care of most all your trips. Its all up to you what else you pack or dont pack. Lots of packs out there in that size range.
    Agreed.
    For me...
    Winter 58 liters plus a 5 liter optional add-on.
    Summer about 40 liters.
    Ultra light hikers ive seen using packs from mid 20 to 35 liters. I carry more comfort items since i don't do long distances
    Annnnndd... always carry your essential-10.
    Last edited by Loki; 07-06-2015 at 19:33.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I love this forum because every question I have as I start my hammock camping journey is already answered by experts!
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla28 View Post
    I love this forum because every question I have as I start my hammock camping journey is already answered by experts!
    Ha! HF helped me get started too!
    PS: above post is for Carolinas winters Not for Michigan winters
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts