Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Need some moral support

WARNING: This may be long, so if you don't like rambling you might want to skip reading!

I'm taking my girls (18, 11 and 8) camping in the mountains tomorrow. We WILL be at a campground, but there is no electricity. I'm not very experienced with camping in general and while we sleep in hammocks at home full-time, I've never set them up without help from someone knowledgeable and experienced. In fact, we've only camped in our hammocks one time and that was with a group and I had lots of help setting up (Thank you Wanderlust).

The forecast is calling for Thunderstorms. This is what is making me nervous. I'm picturing myself trying to set up FOUR hammock/tarp combinations in a storm. I'm second-guessing my decision to leave the Bear Fortune Cookie (tent) in storage and am considering picking it up on our way out. None of us want to go to the ground and we finally have enough equipment to actually do this.

If you've met me, then you know that I'm adventurous and willing to try most things at least once. You also know that I've become a strong person through the adversity in my life. I do not want to cancel the trip. I am just feeling unsure about my ability to do this.

So, give me some encouragement, advice, suggestions, thoughts?

Thanks!

If anyone also has time to help me make a list of absolutely necessary items that would be great, too! We want to go with the bare minimum for just one night and I keep thinking that I must be forgetting something. The girls have only a duffel bag each for their clothing/toys/hygeine supplies, etc.

We have hammocks, we have tree straps, we have bug nets, we have tarps (albeit two of the tarps are those 10X10 plastic ones, we will be using sleeping bags as we don't have underquilts--yet :-) I bought some reflectix for under pads (weather is supposed to be 66 deg overnight) We have flashlights, a lantern, bug stuff, sunblock. Foodwise, I am just packing a cooler with fruits and veggies and trail mix, etc. Not planning on cooking unless we get a fire going and have some smore's.

What else is absolutely needed?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    1. Food, civilized food, finger food is good, keep the sugary stuff to a minimum, everyone will enjoy the trip more. I take easy to cook, yet healthful food, there are lots of easy ideas online, I use foil pockets to cook with and eat out of. This past year we have stopped cooking, because of issues I have with smoke, we make little packets with cooked meat and other things we will eat while camping, that way we cut down on the amount of room our food takes and simplifies meal preparation.

2. Tarps, string for drip lines.

3. Insect Repellent.

4. Female security items.

5. Decent 1st Aid Kit. Benadryl comes in a spray bottle form, I always carry it, much better than the pills. Sun Screen.

6. Hammock, suspension, extra cordage, Tarp, line, stakes.

7. Duct Tape.

8. SENSE OF ADVENTURE, SENSE OF HUMOR.

9. All Hangs are a good Hang, the eventful Hangs are the ones we keep retelling. My daughter and I have had a few misadventures while on one of our expeditions, I am sure almost everyone on this site has have something unexpected happen. Part of learning and growing, you have a general idea of how things should go and look, start with what you remember, do not over think this adventure, just hang loose and work out whatever challenges might arise. Your 18 year old should be able to take care of her own hammock the two elder girls might be able to help the 8 year old (my younger daughter would not let her two older siblings help her in any manner shape or form. She is still a DIY kind of lady. LOL

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Take the tent. It's a good fall-back that keeps you out there and prevents your being totally defeated.

As weather permits pursue your original plan.

If anyone wants to opt for the tent then it's there. No harm, no foul.

Camping is like war or church work: plans are great until you actually meet the enemy!

Otherwise, it sounds like you're good to go.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

I'm sending you a PM

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I usually stash my backpacking tents and sleeping pads and some other misc "just in case" stuff in the car.. even if I have to paddle back to the car or hike a couple miles, its there if something goes awry.

One thing I found very helpful is a $25 4 person dome tent I got at walmart just to keep gear organized and out of the weather. And a nice big tarp pitched up high and wide for everyone to hang out under in the rain - that really saved one trip.

Setting up and striking camp sucks in the rain, though - even more so with tents. At least with hammocks you can take down the tarp last, come to that.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I agree with the majority of the folks. Take the tent, even sit it up, then you have a spot to fall back on just in case. Other than that it sounds like you have this covered so relax and enjoy.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

My girlfriend always insisted we bring something like this no matter what the sleeping arrangements were. We'd set it up over the picnic table, if there was one there, or just had a place where everyone could gather when the afternoon showers or mosquitoes came. (Hers was a cube, but vertical sides are important if rain is a concern.)

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-12-Ins.../dp/B00339C3FA
    Last edited by cardo; 07-04-2015 at 09:36.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I am excited for you runningwithscissors22. You will certainly return from your weekend more experienced than when you left. The best way to learn is to do, especially if the first time you do it wrong.

Good Luck and have a great weekend!
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better. Thanks Ironfish for the list. I have everything you mentioned packed. Picked up extra cordage (50ft) a little while ago. How much extra do you think one needs?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I agree with the majority of the folks. Take the tent, even sit it up, then you have a spot to fall back on just in case. Other than that it sounds like you have this covered so relax and enjoy.
    I did decide to bring the tent just in case, but the issue is that one of the tarps we will be using over one of the hammocks goes under the tent when we tent camp.

It's kind of an either/or proposition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast