WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Quote Originally Posted by drlupton View Post
    I'm not sure about a sticky, but hopefully this will help.

1. Download your pics to your computer
    2. Click on button that looks like a tree in a square (4th from right on reply window)
    3. Click on From Computer button in the top left of the pop-up window.
    4. Click on Basic Uploaded link in the bottom right hand corner of the pop-up window.
    5. Select the photo you want to upload.
    6. Rinse & Repeat.
    Or, alternatively, upload as an album somewhere like Facebook or Flickr directly from your phone, then share the link to the album here.

I'll admit that I don't use knots all that often now, I've gone more in the direction of cinch buckles for the hammock and figure-9's or dutch gear for the tarps, mostly because I like camping in the cooler (or flat-out cold) months and tying knots when it's cold outside sucks! If you see yourself doing 4 setups often, it might be worth it to switch over to cinch buckles to simplify things (plus it'll make it easier for the kids to help out). It doesn't matter how skilled/competent/awesome/whatever you are at setting stuff up if people aren't having fun and enjoying the trip. Setting up for 4 is definitely a daunting task for anybody...in the past I've found doing just one setup at a time seems to help with that, instead of doing all the hammocks first, then all the tarps, etc.

Not having to worry about cooking is nice when camping...I've found that some whitehouse rolls with ham work really well as a lunch or dinner option for an overnighter. I've also found that instead of peanut butter sandwiches, I just put peanut butter on bagels...I can eat that for any meal, and if I forget to bring a knife (not uncommon for me) I can just squeeze some peanut butter onto the bagel, put the two sides of the bagel together and give it a little twist, and they'll spread the peanut butter for me.

Glad to hear that y'all had a good time.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I enjoyed reading your write up about your trip immensely. I have 2 young girls and am planning on a late summer paddle and hang with my oldest (she's 9) so it made me smile picturing you out there trying to get things set up before the weather got foul. I hope you keep doing things with your girls like that...I don't think there's anything more rewarding and important than spending time like that with your kids. Maybe a few weeks before your next outing you could teach one of the older girls to setup one of the hammocks...that way even if it's only slightly messed up you're closer to getting them all hung than just doing it all alone.

Oh and lists are great...I always make one before I go, and I still manage to forget the odd thing now and then.

did you have a pocket knife? You could have used that to spread the peanut butter or do like I have done used my finger just don't lick between sandwiches, or scrape bark off a branch and use it could also have used a can lid folded over

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank1960 View Post
    did you have a pocket knife? You could have used that to spread the peanut butter or do like I have done used my finger just don't lick between sandwiches, or scrape bark off a branch and use it could also have used a can lid folded over
    Not yet, but I did bring scissors! In retrospect, I could have used them. lol

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    I'll admit that I don't use knots all that often now, I've gone more in the direction of cinch buckles for the hammock and figure-9's or dutch gear for the tarps, mostly because I like camping in the cooler (or flat-out cold) months and tying knots when it's cold outside sucks! If you see yourself doing 4 setups often, it might be worth it to switch over to cinch buckles to simplify things (plus it'll make it easier for the kids to help out). It doesn't matter how skilled/competent/awesome/whatever you are at setting stuff up if people aren't having fun and enjoying the trip. Setting up for 4 is definitely a daunting task for anybody...in the past I've found doing just one setup at a time seems to help with that, instead of doing all the hammocks first, then all the tarps, etc.
    I'm very fortunate because a good friend of mine just hooked me up with some Dutch Bling, cinch buckles and dutch clips for a couple of the kiddos. We're even using them at home now. I will probably keep mine with whoopie slings for lighter backpacking and maybe just use some tree straps and buckles for car camping.

I will try to post photos later. We've had a crazy, busy day here today!

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Congrats. Quite an endeavor. Smart to eliminate cooking. Not sure whether u mentioned it, but how did the kids rate the trip? Are they ready to do it again? Dutch bling and training for the young 'uns will make next time easier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    Congrats. Quite an endeavor. Smart to eliminate cooking. Not sure whether u mentioned it, but how did the kids rate the trip? Are they ready to do it again? Dutch bling and training for the young 'uns will make next time easier.
    Mixed reviews as expected. The two little kids will definitely want to go again with a little more planning. The 18yo, jury is still out. It was a big deal for her to agree to come on this trip. Hope she tolerated it enough to come again. Yes, we all need practice and bling makes it much easier. The two guys who helped me hang everything were pretty impressed with how the cinch buckles on the one hammock worked.

Need some moral support

For what it's worth, some of my fondest childhood memories were family camping trips that were complete disasters -- my favorite being the one in the Smokey Mountains where a flash flood nearly washed us away, and we spent the night in a horrendous motel where the bathroom sink drained into a 5 gallon bucket! We slept in our sleeping bags on top of the beds that night. And camping gear back then always involved canvas -- never anything cool like hammocks!

Anyway, kudos for getting out there! Camping can form family bonds that, while maybe aren't immediately apparent, can surface later in life and be reflected on as wonderful experiences.

If it all goes sideways and nothing works like it's supposed to just think of how much fun that story will be to tell later. The best adventures are often the ones we don't expect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234