Hammock
    DIY Lightwieght Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Pheonix 0 degree
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cuben Fiber Tarps Advantages, Disadvantages, likes and dislikes?

Hey fellow hammockers! Whats the deal with cuben fiber tarps? Are they worth the money? I know the lightweight advantages, any others? Would also like some cons to cuben fiber too.
    Thanks Zach

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Other than cost I see no cons.

I have two that are DIY. They were relatively easy to tape together and easily repaired in the field.

Never had hail on one but they stood up well to rain and a violent t-storm.

I use .74 ounce material.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Easily repairable, and I've had mine in a dime-sized hailstorm with no damage whatsoever. Other than cost, I think you really have to go back several years (2011) to find the fear and loathing of cuben fiber's durability, and most of those threads haven't been updated.

When I first started hammocking (2010), very few people used cuben fiber. Now, when you go to a group hang, you see cuben fiber everywhere. You'll still hear from folks that question cuben fiber, but they're mostly coming from people who don't own cuben fiber.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    CONS: Cuben Fiber does not provide shade. CF is a bit louder in a rain storm. CF does not pack as small as a comparable sil-nylon tarp. Cost.

PROS: Weight, No stretch, Cool factor, "See throughness"
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have two cuben tarps...love them. I do usually reserved them for overnight hikes when I have back pack my gear in to my camp site.

Super lite weight. As cuben fabric is only about 55" wide; most cuben tarps are not as wide as their silnylon counterparts. However I have never gotten wet while using mine. As cuben does not stretch like silnylon, once you tighten it down, you don't have to worry about it flopping around later in the night. Cuben does not get wet like silnylon so it drys faster after a rain or heavy dew. One complaint some folks have is that because it is translucent, it it lets more light in which some folks do not like. I like being able to watch the stars and or moon from under my tarp even if they are a bit distorted.

The biggest hurdle is overcoming the high price.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ... You'll still hear from folks that question cuben fiber, but they're mostly coming from people who don't own cuben fiber.
    I have owned two CF tarps, one HG with doors, and one Zpacks standard. I still have one of them and yet can mention a few characteristics that some people may consider disadvantages:

1. Translucent: Most hikers don't mind because they usually only deploy the tarp at night. But if you want to hang during daylight, and it is a hot day, the tarp will not provide shade and will in fact act as a greenhouse. And if you are the type of person that has to have his bedroom windows completely sealed at night, the CF tarp may be a challenge on a full moon night.

2. Noisy: More noisy in rain and windy conditions, due to the crinkly material. Silnylon is smoother.

3. Less-stealthy: Even the green fabric has a silvery sheen that makes it less stealthy. Don't know if the camo solves the problem, but some people just don't like camo.

Having said that, I just put up my silnylon tarp for sale and kept my CF, as the weight saving is important to me, and I like that it does not stretch, resists water saturation better, and dries faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    I have owned two CF tarps, one HG with doors, and one Zpacks standard. I still have one of them and yet can mention a few characteristics that some people may consider disadvantages:

1. Translucent: Most hikers don't mind because they usually only deploy the tarp at night. But if you want to hang during daylight, and it is a hot day, the tarp will not provide shade and will in fact act as a greenhouse. And if you are the type of person that has to have his bedroom windows completely sealed at night, the CF tarp may be a challenge on a full moon night.

2. Noisy: More noisy in rain and windy conditions, due to the crinkly material. Silnylon is smoother.

3. Less-stealthy: Even the green fabric has a silvery sheen that makes it less stealthy. Don't know if the camo solves the problem, but some people just don't like camo.

Having said that, I just put up my silnylon tarp for sale and kept my CF, as the weight saving is important to me, and I like that it does not stretch, resists water saturation better, and dries faster.
    where did you like your silnylon? what size?

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    CF doesn't like heat so don't leave it up in direct sunlight during the days. Also I wouldn't set up to close to a fire, just think shrink wrap.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The only thing that I don't like about my camo HG Standard w/Doors is the stuff sack. It takes serious effort to get the tarp completely in the sack without folding it, which is a big no-no for any tarp. That said, I bought a set of mesh snake skins soon after my 1st outing with the tarp and no longer use the stuff sack.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    The only thing that I don't like about my camo HG Standard w/Doors is the stuff sack. It takes serious effort to get the tarp completely in the sack without folding it, which is a big no-no for any tarp. That said, I bought a set of mesh snake skins soon after my 1st outing with the tarp and no longer use the stuff sack.
    Your lucky, I didn't get a stuff sack when I got mine, but it was one of Adams first few he sold. I had to make my CF snake skins at that time too because nobody would make them for me. Actually I'm glad I made my own skins because it made me discover how easy CF is to work with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast