2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Lightbulb Accrete's Single/Double Hammock portable stand

Please keep a few things in mind as you read through this build thread:

1) I'm just a regular guy...my day job has nothing to do with building or designing anything!!... so what you see or read in this build thread is from a non-professional POV.

2) Please always follow common sense and any manufacturer's suggestions.

3) HAYOR ... Take personal responsibility... Hang At Your Own Risk

4) Please leave comments and suggestions!

Greetngs,

After reading through the Turtlelady, Turtledog threads packed full of great tips and builds...I came across a no-tools mod by a fellow hanger Banana Hammock at this thread he started back in 2013. This particular design calls for no tools other than a hammer...and since my wife and I full time in an RV it sounded like one to try. So down to Home Depot we went...

We came home with this list of items:
    ( Our first build will be designed with the idea of hanging two hammocks on three tripods for most hangs so this to-buy list is all we needed to get both hammocks up in a '\./' arrangement. )
    > > If you want to view the single-hammock mode stand scroll down this page to post #7.

2 x 10ft 1 3/8" top fence rail ( cut in half by HD crew )

9 x 10ft 3/4" EMT ( cut to 7ft by HD crew )

9 x 1/2" x 6" eye bolt (PS : the length of 6" is not critical, as long as there is some thread past the nut all should be fine. YMMV! It just so happened 6" is what Banana Hammock had on his list and it was the shortest length my Home Depot had for 1/2" eyebolts) This comment came about after a question from a member.... THX CanGnu!

3 x 3/8" SS Anchor Shackle ( I grabbed the one that was 1700lb rated. )

3 x 4 pack of 7/8" leg cap ( Made sense to cap the ends as my store bought tent poles had caps. )

9 x 5/16" washers to fit in leg caps ( Thanks to gmtccr for this suggestion to keep legs from going through caps. )

here's some pics:

parts:

10ft poles cut to size:

one of the 1/2" nuts from eye bolts tapped into the factory cut end of the 3/4" EMT pipe then I tapped two opposing sides of the pipe with hammer to flatten. (My wife then filled any gaps with epoxy)

a close up of the eyes and anchor on top of one of the three tripods:

a close up of the braided paracord which is then attached to one end of the ridgepole by way of a prusic knot.

here is the center tripod that two half ridge poles are attached to:

Here is the stand for two all set up before hanging our two hammocks (currently a Hen.Exp.Asym.Zip/her's, and a WBBB 1.7 dbl/mine):

here it is all bundled up ready to go into the van:

Each of the three tripods pack up with the half piece(s) of top rail that is attached to the anchor via line:
    center tripod...

and one of two outer tripods (also, the two outer tripods can be used with the respective attached ridge poles to create a single stand):

We did set up her Hennessy Expedition Asym.zip and my WBBB 1.7dbl. Since they are both right side zips and we wanted to be entering the hammocks from inside the "V" my head was near the bottom of the V and her feet were near the bottom V. We will experiment with tarps next set up. The maiden camp-out for the stand is in a couple weeks. I'll report back. What I can share from this afternoon's test set up was these tripods were rock solid on our lawn. I know they are not "trees" as have been said in the other threads, but even with all the shifting and adjusting into various positions the stand felt like we atlas-strapped to three threes in camp.

Bottom line for us is this build was just what we were looking for in simplicity and functionality.

I will do my best to put up some camp shots and user reports.

Thank you to all who have contributed in the Turtlelady and Turtledog threads... and of course Banana Hammock who shared the eye-bolt idea.

Thom
    Last edited by accrete; 07-03-2015 at 13:51. Reason: corrected some wording/typos : )
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Oh, a PS on my first post...

When we had our two hammocks up this afternoon for the test hang we purposely moved around quite a bit, all the while being observant for any possible trouble with the sky falling and such. There was no indication anything was budging, only the sway of each respective ridgepole.

One might ask why we left the tubing at such long lengths if it is to be "Portable" ?
    Well inside our van conversion (seen in one of the shots behind the small "Parkliner" trailer we tow behind in on our monthly adventures) there is a six foot wide cut out of of the original chevy van's roof that opens up into the full-standing height fiberglass top. The idea is that the 7 foot bundles will fit near the back wall safely packed above the living area below. This picture of the interior shows the street side wall area that we plan to store the three bundles:

We also plan to replace the paracord with something more suitable next trip into "town" (we live ~100 miles from any _real_ outdoor-supply store like REI). We've also got a few cans of a nice Rustoleum flat "Oregano" green we plan to use on the stand in the next couple weeks.

Thinking about tarp set up i'm still pondering. We do have a collection of them. My first thought is to utilize one of our two Kelty Noah 16s over them during the day for shelter from pine needles and such during any afternoon breeze so typical of the places we camp. Then toss it aside if nights are clear for viewing the stars. We typically set up camps with side/privacy and this will be part of the plan also.

: ) Thom

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Great project! You're gonna get a lot great use out of your "Tri-tri-pods"! Thanks for posting.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Forgive me if I'm missing it, but what is used for the ridge poles? Nicely done!
    Using Tapatalk

Wow this is really awesome, thanks for sharing
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Many thx for the DIY-Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by Xpendable View Post
    Forgive me if I'm missing it, but what is used for the ridge poles? Nicely done!
    Hi, np. ... first post listing of parts... standard 1 3/8" top rail fence post. Comes typically in a 10 ft section. I had the HD staff cut them in half.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTrees View Post
    Wow this is really awesome, thanks for sharing
    We had fun. It actually took us longer to shop than put it together.

I am heading outside to put up the single version... will post pics today.

Thom

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Lightbulb

Back from the test set up of the single-mode....''

I mentioned i'd purchased some spray paint for the legs in the original posts. What I didn't know until this morning's pre-paint research is that to do it right, there is a bit of extra work involved when dealing with galvanized steel (the 3/4" conduit i'm using). Well... I LUV duck tape. I LUV camo. soo.......

First shot is a close up of the line from anchor down to fence rail as-ridge-pole... It is "Duck" brand Realtree Hardwood camo tape. After cleaning off the conduit with white vinegar and letting dry I applied the tape.
    This also shows what we are using to connect each hammock to top rail, a descender ring (stays with each hammock's suspension and just slips over end of rail) on each end of top rail followed by the appropriate hitch/etc (image was taken before making knot/hitch).

Here are the two tripods with one-half of the ridgepole attached ready to erect and hang:

You might recall from first post that if I were to set the third-center tripod up it has two ridge pole halves attached. You would simply rotate these two "outer" stands accordingly after separating the ridgepoles and plug them into the corresponding half on the center tripod. The appropriate ridge-pole half remains attached to its tripod.

And the single set up before attaching my WBBB dbl 1.7 :

And one last shot with the BB:

and all packed up again ready for placement in rig:

Camo. Yup. Got a closet full of it!

Post Edit... here is a list of what you would need if you only want to hang a single hammock:

1 x 10ft 1 3/8" top fence rail ( cut in half by HD crew )

6 x 10ft 3/4" EMT ( cut to 7ft by HD crew )

6 x 1/2" x 6" eye bolt (PS : the length of 6" is not critical, as long as there is some thread past the nut all should be fine. YMMV! It just so happened 6" is what Banana Hammock had on his list and it was the shortest length my Home Depot had for 1/2" eyebolts) This comment came about after a question from a member.... THX CanGnu!

2 x 3/8" SS Anchor Shackle

2 x 4 pack of 7/8" leg cap

6 x 5/16" washers to fit in leg caps

Thom
    Last edited by accrete; 07-03-2015 at 13:52. Reason: added Post Edit with shopping list : )

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Nice setup. The one thing you didn't explain was the connection between your 2 1/2 ridgepoles. Did you use some smaller conduit or PVC glued in?

Cool design.
    Do you have any material at the bottom of the three legs, to keep them evenly spaced, or do you just eyeball the stance?

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Nice setup. The one thing you didn't explain was the connection between your 2 1/2 ridgepoles. Did you use some smaller conduit or PVC glued in?
    I had the HD crew cut the fence top rail at the 5 foot mark from the non-swaged-end. You simply flip the 1/2 that includes the swag end around (that is ~5'6" with swag) and insert the swag into the other 1/2 non-swag-pole. No other connection needed as the weight of the person inside hammock keeps it all pulled tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    Cool design.
    Do you have any material at the bottom of the three legs, to keep them evenly spaced, or do you just eyeball the stance?
    In reading at the TL and TD threads I found many who use the tripods outdoors do not utilize any type of spread-limiter line or similar as the legs would hold on most type of ground cover (sand, dirt, grass, etc.) The poles on grass and dirt show no signs of slippage with our combined ~300 lbs in both hammocks, or me in the single test today. And yes on "eyeball" the stance for leg distance. They are about 4 feet apart.

: ) Thom
    Last edited by accrete; 07-01-2015 at 19:35.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast