Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    I noticed in your pictures that you use couplings on the legs. I'm considering doing that to make it more portable, Ideally I'd like to couple a 3' and 4' section to make a 7' leg, and similarly use top rail sleeves to couple 3x4' top rails to make a 12' ridge pole (I have a WBBXLC). Then all of my components would be 4' or less and it would be easy to pack in the trunk and go. Has anyone tried this? Any potential issues using top rail sleeves on the ridge pole? I really like this design/build.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Overstuffed Costco
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps
    Thanks for this thread. I've been wanting to build a stand but wasn't a huge fan of the wood designs. Eye bolt then the nut being hammered into the conduit is genius!

It took me about 15 minutes to assemble everything today. I definitely want to replace the chain with some proper cordage.

Here are some build photos and even a short video:
    https://goo.gl/photos/1cTkXZuQSp8ejZHX8

-Joe

IMG_20160522_194048.jpgIMG_20160522_194048.jpg

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fbl100 View Post
    ...Has anyone tried this? Any potential issues using top rail sleeves on the ridge pole? I really like this design/build.
    Hopefully someone will share their insights on this. To date all my tripod legs are one piece as we've got 7ft of space under the van's bed for storage so never had the need.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDotCom View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I've been wanting to build a stand...
    Welcome to the forums Joe. Hope you have some fun adventures out there!

: ) Thom
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    TBD
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I used leg couplings (between two 3-ft sections), and despite not being quite as stable as I'd like, they work well for me. I'm ~120 lbs though, so I'm not sure how well they'd hold someone much heavier. They wiggle a bit more than I thought at the coupling, but hold me well - they've never collapsed or otherwise failed, though just to be safe, I check to make sure the couplings are still tight and the legs are placed well before I sit. I think it'll depend on what couplings you use, as well as how much you weigh. Another thought is to use different-sized leg parts, so that one slips inside the other one and is stopped by a bolt or something through the larger one. I didn't use that method because I didn't have a way to drill through the legs, but as long as the bolt was strong enough, it would probably avoid the wiggling at the joints that I have noticed.

As for the jointed top rail, I didn't use sleeves. I just used three, 4-foot sections of fence rail (cut from two 10-ft sections), using the tapered portion on two of them to fit into each end of the middle rail.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysong View Post
    I used leg couplings (between two 3-ft sections)...
    Thanks for being the test-hanger Skysong!

YMMV,
    Thom

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    I noticed in your pictures that you use couplings on the legs. I'm considering doing that to make it more portable, Ideally I'd like to couple a 3' and 4' section to make a 7' leg, and similarly use top rail sleeves to couple 3x4' top rails to make a 12' ridge pole (I have a WBBXLC). Then all of my components would be 4' or less and it would be easy to pack in the trunk and go. Has anyone tried this? Any potential issues using top rail sleeves on the ridge pole? I really like this design/build.
    Yes, It works well. Check my posts on this thread for more details. I even made one with aluminum tubing that weighs in at 16# - which is about 1/2 of the conduit version. Cost about $100 for the aluminum, much less for the conduit.

I made my own connections, I didn't like the commercial couplings - too wobbly.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Thanks everyone for the replies. I built my stand today and spent the afternoon lounging in the yard... it was a very nice way to spend the afternoon.

Here are the particulars of my build:
    * Each leg is 80" (2x 40") 3/4" EMT. This allowed me to buy 4x10' tubes and have the HD crew cut them into 40" segments
    * I used EMT compression couplings to join 2 40" pieces per leg
    * For the ridge pole, I used the top rail as indicated. I bought 2x10' sections and had HD cut 4' from each of the tapered ends.
    ** SPECIAL NOTE - I had to use a dremmel/hacksaw to cut my center piece from the remaining poles. This is because the HD pipe cutter crushes the cut area just enough so that the tapered end won't fit.
    ** I would recommend just having HD cut the 2 tapered segments and then just plan on demmel/hacksawing the last one.

* To get the couplers really tight, you need to use two adjustable wrenches. Once they are tight, it's solid.

I weigh 225 lbs and it held me with no issues.

Thanks accrete for starting this thread, and for eveyone else for their suggestions. This is a great option for some upcoming scouting events where we will not have trees.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    TBD
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ** SPECIAL NOTE - I had to use a dremmel/hacksaw to cut my center piece from the remaining poles. This is because the HD pipe cutter crushes the cut area just enough so that the tapered end won't fit.
    ** I would recommend just having HD cut the 2 tapered segments and then just plan on demmel/hacksawing the last one.
    Good point! That happened to me, although the HD folks actually had a little reamer (not sure of the correct term for it) that they used to clear out the tapered ends. It left relatively sharp edges, but I was able to sand them down without any issues.

I'm glad your stand is working well!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images

Cool

Hi fbl, like Skysong said; "I'm glad your stand is working well !" : )

As I hinted earlier, this season would see us 100% TATO, I feel like a rebel-trader ; ) BUT, also, we are soooo gear junkies but also quazi minimalists so I had to clear out some _stuff_ if I brought more _stuff_ into the gear mix.

Here is a shot I took this week of our setup. 100% tree-less and the USForestry Service crews that saw our camp were in pleased-awe.

2TATO2Superfly.jpg

Shown are; 2 x TATO stands with 1" EMT all around. For my wife's stand (on left) we have 78" legs and 13' ridgepole for her Warbonnet RidgeRunner. On the right is my WB Blackbird set on a 12' ridgepole with 60" legs. Over both are two WB Superfly tarps. At night we put up some simple ripstop privacy drapes on each end.

There was a night of rain and the setup did well. We remained dry and cozy under a strung-tight-as-a-drum tarp.

: ) Thom

Images
    Looking good Thom.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast