Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    My concern would be the nut that is jammed into the end of the pipe coming loose and popping out. Did you do anything extra to keep it in place?

Hammock
    WB-BB 1.7DBL WB-RR 1.1DBL
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamper Kurt View Post
    My concern would be the nut that is jammed into the end of the pipe coming loose and popping out. Did you do anything extra to keep it in place?

Banana Hammock's original thread
    had a similar question posed to which BH (the designer) stated factually that the load is a downward force so nuts are driving into the pipe under load. I can tell you that is the case! BUT Cari did apply epoxy in the tube just cuz...she's a MacGirlver girl : )

Thom

A July 4th update...as detailed in post #25 below I have placed electrical tape over nuts to keep them from falling out during transport as the epoxy did not hold as we'd hoped. Keep in mind the bolts are exerting a downward force on nuts once stand/hammocks are loaded...the nut fell out before set up.
    Last edited by accrete; 07-04-2015 at 16:22.
    Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon - Accrete.com
    mine:WB-BB hers:WB-RR, 2xWB SuperFly

Quote Originally Posted by accrete View Post
    Banana Hammock's original thread had a similar question posed to which BH (the designer) stated factually that the load is a downward force so nuts are driving into the pipe under load. I can tell you that is the case! BUT Cari did apply epoxy in the tube just cuz...she's a MacGirlver girl : )

Thom
    Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a link to the original thread/design by Banana Hammock?

Thx

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveed View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, but do you have a link to the original thread/design by Banana Hammock?

Thx

HERE ya go...
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveed View Post

Thx
    THANK YOU Pips : )

Yes Dave, I posted the link in my #1 post in the first paragraph. But it's always nice to have some backups in the convo too.

You will see by that thread that BH didn't really maintain or follow-up much. One post by gmcttr went as far as to say it might be because "It didn't catch on...usually indicates it wasn't the best method." I did show my wife the comment after reading the thread and pondering the project. I wanted to make sure she knew this was an experiment, a "Beta" at best and I could not find any long term reviews or field reports.

As I post, i'm looking out our big-rig's kitchen/dinette window to the lawn area that we pitched the HH & WBBB in the "V" tripods/ridgepols. We did the prelim test hangs from center of each tripod an nothing budged and had a quick hang test before the outside temps hit 81...to hot for us, so we are back inside in the A/C : ) yup. we are weather weenies as I've said elsewhere.

>>>>>A note as a followup to an above comment by a poster on the idea of the nuts falling out. While I did reply to that before, and included the fact that once loaded the nuts were being driven into the conduit(s), I did have a bolt/nut come out today when I dropped a bundle (pre-set-up) onto the lawn. Sooooo....that epoxy didn't do what we'd hoped. So I grabbed some electricians tape and taped over the nut/conduit so the nuts would not fall out during transit. Maybe some JB Weld?? More to ponder.

Hope everyone has a safe holiday! Our little town on the Oregon Coast (Astoria) is totally amok with tourists. This is one of those weekends most of us locals just stay at home (or in our case...our home-on-wheels) and let all the crazies take over the town. Fortunately for my wife and I our long time employer (Costco) is closed on these major holidays and we get paid to relax with family/friends.

: ) Thom
    Last edited by accrete; 07-04-2015 at 16:15.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    A picture of today's test hang... we are experimenting with small fiberglass sectional tentpoles to replace the need to guy out the hammock-sides. Cari received her Big Agnes bag for our next adventure, and yes folks... I decided to go Gumby : ) I ordered a _Selk' Bag Patagon_ for myself. I'm into being the life and laugh of the party so I figured it would be a good fit for my personality.

8 ) Thom

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    I made a set like these for myself because there is a beach campground that I love to go to but there are no trees on the beach.

So...

Instead of glue or tape I just pounded the conduit around the hex nut on the eye bolt on all sides of the nut. Some wiggle inside there but they don't come out and if they drop further in that's actually a good thing IMHO. I pounded pretty hard with the rubber hammer to get them set in there.

I used one 3' length of chain for the vertical drop from the tripod. I used a 5' length for the other side in case my wife wants to join me and I need to add another tripod.

The other thing I noticed was I'm using every inch of the horizontal bar for the suspension. I drilled a hole in the ends and slipped a galvanized carriage bolt through with two sets of two nuts locked together for a smooth place for the webbing to sit on.

I don't know what the rating is for a 6" eye bolt sitting in 3/4" EMT conduit. Or the 3/4" EMT conduit tripods. I'm 220, my son is 160 and things held together nicely when we both put on our helmets and got in to test it. So the known weak link in my weight handling system is the chain rated at 550 lbs.

Currently working on how to tarp the thing. LOL I have a 16' Kelty from my tent days. As the zen master said, "We'll see."
    Last edited by CanGnu; 07-05-2015 at 13:09.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    I made a set like these for myself because there is a beach campground that I love to go to but there are no trees on the beach.

So......As the zen master said, "We'll see."
    WoooHoooo! Have fun at the beach. If you have a chance and upload some pics share them here too?

Also, I like your idea of the continuous chain (or any single vertical mount line I suppose?). I think after yesterday's test hand I will move the vertical line(s) as far out as possible. Right now they are ~3"?? from the end of pole.

I too will be experimenting with tarp set up in camp. I have two Kelty Noah 16's and we do have Cari's Hennessy tarps but i'd like to cover it all with the 16 footer utilizing tent poles/lines-to-stakes as an initial thought.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    Couple of pics as requested...

IMG_7859.jpg
    EMT conduit, counter sunk hex nuts on the eye bolts then pounded them in so they don't fall out.

IMG_7866.jpg
    Here's how it fits together with the chain flowing down.

IMG_7873.jpg
    Here's the business end. 1" Tube strap around the galvanized bolt, marlin spike hitch with a carabiner. The chain extends further so I can add a third tripod.

IMG_7868.jpg
    Here's the setup. My son's ENO DN. Need awesome camo tape on the bars yet.

IMG_7892.jpg
    Here I am, 222 lbs as of the fourth, note the upward bend in the horizontal fence rail.

ToDo list: Awesome camo tape on the pipes. Figure out a way to make the cuts on both ends of the horizontal pipe not be sharp. Close the ends up for good so bugs won't make a home out of it. And how to tarp the thing.

I was thinking that it would be preferable to tarp the tripods like a teepee as a vestibule for gear. Probably going with something custom made for that.
    Last edited by CanGnu; 07-05-2015 at 22:29.

Hammock
    Tarp
    2x WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Selk'Bag Patagon
    Suspension
    TATO Stands
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    Couple of pics as requested...
    THX CanGnu! Setup looks nice. Cari and I are going to put some sort of storage/triangle thingy in probably the main (center) tripod maybe try out a teepee in the design too. Yea I gotta go with some sort of plug on the ends too, might just be some duct tape for this trip out. I don't need to bring any hitchickers into the van when breaking down camp.

** On a totally separate note ** My Selk'bag Patagon arrived today! Wow what a nice design and build. I'm looking forward to doing a field test on it next trip to the woods. I'll report back after.

as a PS/FYI.... I don't know if I've mentioned this but for any considering the selk... at least for the "Large" size the sizing was spot on for my 5'8" / 140 lb frame.
    Last edited by accrete; 07-09-2015 at 20:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast