GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

WI>IAT in KMSF-SU> Shelter #2 to Shelter #3

Trip Report for dayhike on the Ice Age Trail in the Kettle Moraine State Forest - Southern Unit from Shelter #2 (near Forest Headquarters on Hwy 59) to Shelter #3 (near Duffin Rd).

IAT overview sign at FHQ

Ever eager to get outdoors, and especially eager to scout out this route ahead of our upcoming trip, it didn't take much convincing on Goobie's part for me to find a way to join him for an end of the week dayhiking trip on the IAT. After dumping my truck on Duffin Rd near Shelter #3 we drove to the KMSF-SU Forest Headquarters (aka FHQ) on Hwy 59 near Eagle, WI. Unfortunately the building was closed this early in the morning. Really wanted to see the guest book with the people who have hiked significant sections of the IAT in the KMSF-SU. Also to find out what it takes to be among them.

Trail sign to Shelter #2 aka S2

Having just made the trek from Shelter #2 (aka S2) to Shelter #3 (aka S3), I am thinking that a patch or some such memento to commemorate the hike at the end of July this year would be a good way to keep the memories alive into the future.

View from S2

View of outhouse from inside S2
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Stoney Ridge Segment

The air was cool and the bugs were minimal for this time of year as we headed up the trail from the FHQ to S2. An easy hike that gave no indication of how the day was to progress! As with all of the shelters on the IAT that I have visited, S2 is on the top of a hill. The view is mostly obscured by trees yet still presents a nice vista. The main issue with hanging there is the underbrush. As in most of Wisconsin, finding two trees to hang from is easy. Finding two hangable trees without underbrush or widowmakers is not. Will take some doing but we will find a way.

Moving down from S2 the forest gave way to prairie and the easiest hiking of the trek.

Curious Doe

Writing this I now realize I should have paid closer attention to the time between landmarks. Think it was about an hour and a liter of water to the Emma Carlin trailhead (aka EC). There are two picnic benches, water and restrooms there. Cooked up some breakfast then hit the trail again. I would suggest we have breakfast at S2 on Saturday morning.

Sign on Hwy Z for the Emma Carlin trailhead aka EC

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Trail Dog patiently waiting at the Emma Carlin trailhead

An interesting turn of events was our quite dubious decision to cut across the Emma Carlin trails to the IAT. While an interesting hike, it involved covering a lot more ground and many more elevation changes than sticking to the IAT. For dayhiking it adds a lil fun. For mountain biking it looks like a blast. When through hiking it is not recommended.

Arch over the path to the Emma Carlin trails

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    View while ridge walking

Apparently noticing my pace slowing significantly whenever climbing up hills, Goobie talked about the virtues of hiking poles. I have long known that I am not a fan of having anything in my hands while hiking. So I listened politely but didn't give it much thought. Then he quite generously offered for me to try his. What could it hurt? Wow. What a difference! Felt like it took about half as much effort to crest the summit of that hill as compared to without hiking poles. My footing and balance on descents was much improved as well.

View of Red Pines from bench

Pouring over several maps and wracking my poor memory I found myself in a quandary as to where to suggest we have lunch on the WI Group Hike 'n Hang at the end of July. The Horserider's Camp (HRC) is an obvious choice for a group as it has water, the most benches in the KMSF-SU, bathrooms, showers and fire pits. However, it is much too early in our hike to S3. HRC is a great place to take a break, water up, maybe change socks then hit the trail again. Just doesn't work very well as a lunch spot on that trek.

Sign by the HRC

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Bald Bluff Scenic Overlook

Left side view from Bald Bluff Scenic Overlook

Right side view from Bald Bluff Scenic Overlook

Therefore I am suggesting we have lunch on top of Bald Bluff. A break was welcome at that point. The view is well worth the trek. Another plus is the skeeters that were a minor nuisance in the forest were kept almost entirely at bay by the breeze on the Bluff.

Trail Dog resting by bench on Bald Bluff

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Spur trail to Stone Elephant

From the EC to where the IAT crosses Hwy H just north of Bluff Rd was the most technical part of the trek. Frequent elevation changes and sections of trail that are very rocky required more attention to foot placement than most other places I've hiked in WI. That being said, if you think about it, the placement of that section of trail is perfect for this trek.

Bald Bluff State Natural Area Sign

We will have hiked an easy warm up section of trail which is proper. We'll hit this invigorating section then just when we start getting a little tired, we pause for lunch at Bald Bluff. At that point we are more than half way through the toughest part of the day. After scampering down the bluff we have a short hike to Tamarack road.

Blackhawk Segment sign after crossing Hwy H

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Blue Spring Lake Segment

From there on the trail gets much easier. After Hwy H we are home free with easy trail all the way to the base of the hill at S3. A short climb up to S3 and it is time to appropriate a pair of trees, towel down, then gather around a fire and get supper going. Ah, trail's end!!

Shelter #3 aka S3

Inside S3

Now to find the time to dayhike from Shelter #3 to Whitewater Lake. Four weekends remaining. The fifth weekend from now will be the weekend of the 2015 WI Summer Group Hike & Hang on the IAT. Woot!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Conclusions:

Finding suitable spots to hang hammocks is going to be interesting at both shelters. At each shelter four hammocks can be hung without much trouble. More than that will take some creativity. While there are plenty of trees in all directions, the underbrush is thick. A further complication is that the shelters are on the crests of steep hills. This means that the ground slopes sharply away in all directions. Won't be easy yet we will find spots for everyone.

A word about the underbrush. In addition to all of the normal plants to be found in southern Wisconsin, there was quite a lot of poison ivy along some sections of the IAT. Much more than last time I was on it. For the most part, not constant, just patches of it. From S2 to the EC it was rare. From the EC to Tamarack Rd the amount of low poison ivy (aka PI from now on) along the IAT increased until there were sections of trail that had more PI than the other types of vegetation combined. By the way, what I call "low PI" is the ground dwelling, shrub type. You know, the short stuff that is rarely more than 18" tall. As opposed to the vine type. Anyhow, from Tamarack Rd to Young Rd the vine type of PI became predominant and the amount of low PI became scarce. No worries for us as long as we stay on the trail and are careful where we sit if we take a break. Neither Goobie nor I experienced any rashes. My dog crashed through the brush constantly yet I didn't pick any up off of her. Other than a few vines that were hanging out into the trail on the stretch from Tamarack Rd to Young Rd, there is little danger to us - as long as we stay on the trail. From the EC to Bluff Rd it would be a good idea to keep your eyes peeled if stepping off the trail. Come to think of it, always a good idea to keep your eyes peeled when out in the woods! I did not see any PI at either shelter. Still, we'll keep a sharp eye out when setting up.

I have never been a fan of walking sticks or hiking poles. Yet I found that hiking poles are a huge help when going up and down hills. Going down hills felt more controlled. Felt like it took 50% less effort to crest a hill with poles vs without.

Stiff shoes that have little flex to their soles and minimal slosh are needed for the frequent hills. Much of the trail requires going up and down hills and frequently stepping on rocks. If your feet move around at all in your shoes, the down hills will jam your toes into the front of the shoe. Both Goobie and I experienced some "toe jam" (lol) where the toenail of our big toes were jammed into the toes of our shoes and became a lil tender by the end of the day. Wearing two pairs of socks might be a good idea.

If your soles have much flex to them, they will cup the rocks and this will end up hurting your feet over time. We both ended up with a minor blister on a toe from our toes trying to grip the rocks. We think less flex in the soles would have prevented that. Careful attention to foot placement on the trail helps. By that I mean being lazy and stepping on rocks where you could have stepped on dirt will add up over the course of the day. Good stiff shoes that fit well will minimize our discomfort.

And yes, there will be some discomfort. This is a longish trek with frequent elevation changes and abundant rocks on the trail. Not brutual, but not easy either. If your trail experience has been city parks and beginner trails, this will be an eye opener. If you've logged many miles in the Wisconsin backcountry, this section of trail will still be harder than most.

For Wisconsin this time of year, neither the ticks nor the mosquitoes were bad. I had sprayed everything with permethrin before this trip and was glad I had. A little deet on the bare skin in the morning kept the bugs at bay until I had sweated it off just before the end of the hike.

Happy Trails Y'all!!

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    The new York post is getting this trail report. I look forward to meeting everybody and maybe trying out some hiking poles...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post
    The new York post is getting this trail report.
    Aww, shucks, that's awful kind of you to say.

I look forward to meeting everybody and maybe trying out some hiking poles...
    Me too, on both. Hearing firsthand reports of trips and gear is very valuable to me. Stories around the campfire are always fun too!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast