Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stuck on what my first hammock should be...

Well, the title says it all. I am new to hanging. The two hammock systems that are interesting me are the Warbonnet BB XLC and the DD Frontline.

I like the DD because it seems to be very versatile in the sense that I could go to ground easily. This is important to me, because eventually I will be out in NM on the mesa and around the high desert among the sage brush. I want a minimal and quick way to go to ground, and an efficient way to keep the bugs off. I've done some tent camping out there and the bugs do come. Not so much mosquitos, but other stuff that just likes to land on you, then there are all the guys on the ground looking for boots and such. The DD would fit nicely among the sage, and really you can't beat the price.

The Warbonnet just stinks of quality. I have never read a bad review, and after much research on the materials it really does seem like an excellent piece of equipment. Also, it really looks cozy. The DD hammock itself does not look as breathable. The Warbonnet looks breathable and comfortable as well as sturdy. Also, I could see going to ground with it. The only draw back is that the bug net might get in the face more than the DD. It is also more expensive.

Those are my questions. Any opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

If I had to do it again I'd get a warbonnet black bird.

Hammock
    WBBB xlc multicam
    Tarp
    MWG Storm Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0+1
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    I have no experience with the frontline. And i have never went to ground with my xlc. But i really like my xlc and i believe i could go to ground with it but i would want to avoid that if possible. Love hanging in that thing...comfy and worth the price.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    What about the DD makes you say it is more suitable for going to ground than the WB?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    First question is what will you do most, hang or go to the NM Mesa? I would think that most times you will be hanging in the north east and therefore I would get the Warbonnet XLC. For the trips to the NM Mesa I would use the surperfly tarp with a DIY noseeum tent or look at getting the small ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1 or 2 tent or smiler. That all said I have a Warbonnet BB DL XLC and love it and several tents and still have used both.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have both, and out of these two, I would definitely recommend the Warbonnet. You didn't say how tall you are, but the DD is only 270cm / 8.8' - the XLC is 11'. Warbonnet also sells the "old" style Blackbird, which is lighter and 10' long. The net does not separate, but this has never been an issue for me.

BTW, the Frontline is not waterproof. You definitely don't want a waterproof fabric, unless you enjoy sleeping in a puddle.

If you want a longer and higher quality hammock in the DD style, have a look at the Switchback hammocks that Tree to Tree Trail Gear sells. They are having a sale right now. You can pick a single or double layer, and the strength. While I have never seen one live, yet, I believe they're very high quality.

No matter what you decide, hammocks are not the best choice for frequent ground camping, no matter which styl. When you have to go to ground, make extra sure that you don't damage the fabric (use a ground sheet). Otherwise your new hammock might not get very old.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sorry, I made a mistake - I don't have the XLC but the old-style Blackbird.

It looks like the bug net design allows for more space inside, and the whole thing looks flatter to the ground than the WB when grounded. It seems like it may handle the task better, I would worry about damaging the WB. Though I couldn't find on the DD website much about the materials other than weight.

Thanks guys, all of the above is kind of where my thoughts were going on this. I've thought about the reality of doing it, and it always seems like it should be on an as needed basis.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    You should check out Dream Hammocks. They are very customizable for width, colors, number of layers, bug nets, over covers, and suspensions. They are up there in quality with Warbonnet. When I bought mine it was between Dream Hammock and Warbonnet, and it really came down do I couldn't get the colors I wanted with Warbonnet. Both are TOP notch and you will be happy with either of those two manufacturers. I don't have any experience with DD Hammocks, but I've seen several warbonnets and dream hammocks and every one I've seen is great

Edit: I've not heard very much about going to ground in a hammock, I'd love to know more. If you do go to ground, just make sure you have a ground cover under your hammock. Ripstop Nylon can still get snags and tears and once you put a man in it, the rip stop portion doesn't stop rips very well. You just need to protect your hammock fabric is all I'm saying. I'd go with a double layer hammock for sure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast