Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Getting Ready for a Cross-Country Bike Tour in a Hammock

Hello! I'm new here, but I've been scoping out these threads for a while now.

I'm getting ready to start a cross-country bikepacking tour, and I'd love to do in a hammock. I've owned an ENO DoubleNest for over a year now, and it's really opened my eyes to a new way of life. I've camped in it a bunch, and always carry it in my backpack (even in cities!), as you never know when the time will strike. One of my favorite things about the Hammocking Community is the strong DIY ethic, never seen anything like it! But I think for this venture, I will just want to purchase a good solution. And I'm not totally against spending the money, and it will be my home for months and months.

I want to get a better hammock for my tour. I'll also want some sort of underquilt or pad or something. I don't have any for my DoubleNest, and while I do sometimes just throw a blanket under me (shh, it works!), I'll need to keep my back real healthy to support this ride.

From the time I've spent looking through these forums, I'm always so impressed and overwhelmed by the amount of choice there is! So many! I've been looking at the Hennessy Explorer Ultralite, as I like that the bug net is integrated (lot of bugs in the North East and Midwest), and comes with a tarp. Obviously weight is an issue, but I'd rather take a few more oz's for a smaller pack size, as my panniers are limited, my endurance is not. I've read posts on crazyguyonabike where people bring multiple tarps to cover not only the hammock, but the bike and gear. Makes sense to me, as I'd like to option to pull over and save my stuff if it's coming down in sheets.

This is first time for me, and I'm open to all suggestions.

TL;DR Wants to get new Hammock/Insulation/Tarp setup for months long bikepacking tour. Small pack size more important than weight*

* I'm saying that now, but I'll let you know when the trip is done.

PS - I'm 6'5" at 175lbs

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    You could get your bike under a Warbonnet Superfly. Good luck with the ride.
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/

Images
    So, I bicycle about 20 miles per day, and have been motorcycle camping for 35 years now. In my experience packing makes a big difference.

Clothing
    https://youtu.be/Em4lbLf09M0

Space Bags to compress
    https://youtu.be/v_2THfQk9-k

Shelter - MSR Twin Brothers no floor shelter.
    (14-Ft Long x 7.5-Ft Wide x 5-Ft/9-In High)
    The image is how I use it on a beach trip where there are no trees. You can use Amsteel Utility Constrictor Rope (folks on this board use the term "UCR) to hang both hammock and whatever tarp you choose.

I like the MSR solution because everything will fit inside and it provides good weather protection.
    20140525_100926.jpg

MSR Shelter Freestanding and Staked Out (Use the Space Bags to pack)
    https://youtu.be/fyApH4sNyt4

There are lighter solutions, none are as weatherproof or versatile (in my opinion)

I uses Ortlieb Front Panniers on both front and back of my Bike. Keep it light, enjoy the journey!
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 06-27-2015 at 20:21.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    You could get your bike under a Warbonnet Superfly. Good luck with the ride.
    http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/superfly/
    My bike fits great under my superfly - with room to spare! - Good Luck!!!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My cycle touring set-up is my trusty WB Blackbird, the WB Mamajamba tarp and a 20°F HG Incubator. I have never seen a need to have my bicycle under my tarp. I cover my leather saddle and chain the bike up as close to my camp as possible.

With regards to recommendations: you're pretty tall, so you'll probably want an 11' hammock. Hennessy is not bad, but there are lighter set-ups on the market. Check out the vendors in the forum; there's Warbonnet, Dream Hammock and Hammeck, who all sell fully integrated hammocks similar to Hennessy, but all make the gear themselves - and there's Butt in a Sling, Dutchwaregear, Wilderness Logics who all sell no-net hammocks plus bug socks for a modular set-up. There are more hammock makers, but those are the most popular ones (for good reason).

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I've decided to go with the DD SuperLight Jungle Hammock! It looks great, has tons of different ways to configure it (removable waterproof top, removable bug net, can be set up on ground in true bivy mode), and it fairly light. I also went with the DD SuperLight tarp, as it's a couple ounces lighter, and $30 cheaper than the Warbonnet SuperFly.

I figured if I'm going to be churning out 80 miles on my legs and back all day, a bridge hammock would probably be worth it, as I'll need to really rest my legs well.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I toured the country in 1987 on bicycle. (Maine to Vancouver Island, BC)
    I never felt like I needed to cover my bike in the rain.
    My panniers were not waterproof.
    "2" low rider in front, "2" on back rack and handlebar bag, sleeping bag (in trash bag), tent and tire strapped to the rear rack.
    All the stuff that shouldn't get wet were in Ziploc or trash bags.

My biggest regret was not taking a small (35L) backpack.

When in a city I would use the bus stations lockers to store my stuff that I didn't need to get stolen off the bike.

I paid like $2000 dollars down on my credit card and just used it like a debit card after that. (This was before debit cards).

I traveled east to west, sun was in my eyes everyday.
    As I recall I was averaging 60 to 80 miles a day with like one 120 mile day to get out of the desert.

The only mechanical failure (3000 miles plus) I had was a 6spd freewheel just outside of Yellowstone in Livingstone, Montana

I'm a bit envious of your trip, it was my most fun undertaking yet.

Enjoy yourself
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanscottdavis View Post
    I figured if I'm going to be churning out 80 miles on my legs and back all day, a bridge hammock would probably be worth it, as I'll need to really rest my legs well.
    The DD is not a bridge hammock. It's a normal gathered end hammock (and a very, very short one with 270cm / 8'8", especially for somebody as tall as you). If you want a bridge, you would have the choice between the WB Ridgerunner, the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock and the Eureka Chrysalis.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 07-07-2015 at 14:45.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Actually, if you haven't ordered yet, I would recommend that you seriously overthink your decision. Both hammock and tarp are very short. That's why the tarp weighs less than the Superfly; it's 35cm shorter and 15cm more narrow - and it's PU coated. Silnylon is a much better choice for saving weight and volume. I would be surprised if you are going to be comfortable with your set-up. For somebody your size, I would go with a hammock length of at least 10'...

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The DD is not a bridge hammock. It's a normal gathered end hammock...
    The DD SuperLight Jungle Hammock has spreader poles at both ends, does this not make it a bridge hammock? Maybe I am thinking about this wrong?

I can't deal with Warbonnet's and similar "2 week lead time", I am planning on hitting the road very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Both hammock and tarp are very short
    I agree, but I've been emailing DD and they say that I'll be okay, the "floor" is around 6'5", with an extra foot on each end. I do agree that it's not a ton of room, but being this tall, I always feel claustrophobic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast